Are We Being Unfair To Mcnamara?

Auld Jag

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Beattie is incessant with rage

That should be incandescent.

Anyway, on to your points above. No, Paul Paton shouldn't be blamed for our league position (I don't think anyone was suggesting he should be), but our form following his reshuffle shows just how important a good sitting midfielder is to our system. We had that in Hutton. It's no coincidence or indeed surprise that we've nosedived since his departure. I was hoping Welsh would be a similar type of player, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We just don't have anyone that can play in that way, hence the lack of linkage and the long, hopeful (hopeless?) punts forward. It depends who leaves, but I'd say that's the most crucial position to fill in the summer months. Get that right, and we can take it from there.

Moving on, some of Beattie's quotes in that article are as fanciful and laughable as anything the previous incumbents sh*t out.

I mean:

"...they [Jackie and Simon] have brought a vibrance and freshness to the club which we are pleased with."

C'mon, Dave. I don't expect you to slate anyone in the press, but that's just nonsense. There might be a bit of bonhomie behind the scenes, but that's smothered by the staleness that's pretty much evident to all but the most stubborn of the 'true' fan brigade.

Moving on, some of Beattie's quotes in that article are as fanciful and laughable as anything the previous incumbents sh*t out.

I mean:

"...they [Jackie and Simon] have brought a vibrance and freshness to the club which we are pleased with."

C'mon, Dave. I don't expect you to slate anyone in the press, but that's just nonsense. There might be a bit of bonhomie behind the scenes, but that's smothered by the staleness that's pretty much evident to all but the most stubborn of the 'true' fan brigade.

I really enjoyed that quote along with "have found themselves in mid-table security". Not sure about that, the way we are playing and the lack of motivation we could slip into a relegation fight. Thank god for Ayr and QOS as without them we would be really struggling. Can't wait till he adds a few more "experianced" players.

Anyone who takes longer that 10 seconds to look at the league table will be able to tell you the reason we not in contention for the league is because we don’t score enough goals. To blame Paton, a sitting midfield player for this is simply bizarre.

If we had scored maybe another 10 goals in the league then we would probably be in with a chance of promotion. So players like Ian Flannigan, Tommy Stewart, and Chris Erskine who have failed to produce should be taking the blame. Jackie re-signed the first two so of course he has made mistakes with these players.

As Dark Passenger has pointed out, at no juncture in my post did I suggest or imply our league position should be blamed on Paton. I happen to think Paton is one of our better players but is being misused by the manager yet a number of fans think it has been a stroke of genius for a reason I cannot comprehend.

Like many of us suspected, Hutton's departure has hit us dearly but what I feel has cost us an equal amount is no longer having Paton's width and willing running up the wing.

I just had a look at the games we've played since Paton moved to midfield. As far as I'm aware, he moved into the position against Queens on Boxing Day which means we've played 8 games. In that time, we've conceded 9 goals; 5 of those goals have came from the right-back position:

Queen of the South, Scottish Cup, 1-0 defeat

Hamilton, League, 1-0 defeat

Ayr's first goal, League, 4-2 win

Raith's first and second goal, League, 2-1 defeat

I just find it total lunacy that we have, arguably, the best right back in this division and we shunt him into a position where he is less effective.

Like many of us suspected, Hutton's departure has hit us dearly but what I feel has cost us an equal amount is no longer having Paton's width and willing running up the wing.

I just had a look at the games we've played since Paton moved to midfield. As far as I'm aware, he moved into the position against Queens on Boxing Day which means we've played 8 games. In that time, we've conceded 9 goals; 5 of those goals have came from the right-back position:

Queen of the South, Scottish Cup, 1-0 defeat

Hamilton, League, 1-0 defeat

Ayr's first goal, League, 4-2 win

Raith's first and second goal, League, 2-1 defeat

I just find it total lunacy that we have, arguably, the best right back in this division and we shunt him into a position where he is less effective.

But wasn't that one the biggest criticisms of Paton (apart from the onefootedness)? Paton next to never takes a man on and rarely reaches the bye line. His default ball is a lob from just inside the opponent's half.

I happen to think Paton has an awareness about him, which makes him a reasonable defender, wherever he's deployed and, when he doesn't resort to doing a "Jimmy Gibson", he's one of the few with a bit of determination.

I'm guessing McNamara is persevering with Paton in the holding role not because he's doing that well more likely as there's little alternative. Robertson was very poor in midfield and I'm not so sure Rowson is any longer suited to playing there.

But wasn't that one the biggest criticisms of Paton (apart from the onefootedness)? Paton next to never takes a man on and rarely reaches the bye line. His default ball is a lob from just inside the opponent's half.

I happen to think Paton has an awareness about him, which makes him a reasonable defender, wherever he's deployed and, when he doesn't resort to doing a "Jimmy Gibson", he's one of the few with a bit of determination.

I'm guessing McNamara is persevering with Paton in the holding role not because he's doing that well more likely as there's little alternative. Robertson was very poor in midfield and I'm not so sure Rowson is any longer suited to playing there.

True, he may rarely take on his man but he is always available on the wing to receive the ball which, in turn, stretches the opposition out of position.

I happen to think Paton is probably the best defender at the club, in terms of tackling, positioning, anticipation, etc. By playing him in his current position, I think all we get from him is his tenacity which is a shame because he can offer a lot more. I do agree to an extent that he may be there due to a lack of options but I think it's proving to be more detrimental to the team by continuing to refuse to play him in his natural position. I like O'Donnell due to his penetrating runs and athleticism but, let's be honest here, he is honking defensively.

True, he may rarely take on his man but he is always available on the wing to receive the ball which, in turn, stretches the opposition out of position.

I happen to think Paton is probably the best defender at the club, in terms of tackling, positioning, anticipation, etc. By playing him in his current position, I think all we get from him is his tenacity which is a shame because he can offer a lot more. I do agree to an extent that he may be there due to a lack of options but I think it's proving to be more detrimental to the team by continuing to refuse to play him in his natural position. I like O'Donnell due to his penetrating runs and athleticism but, let's be honest here, he is honking defensively.

That would be a great name for a band.

Oh, and I agree.

I suppose we're fairly close to agreement in as much as neither moving Paton back to full back nor playing him in his current role is ideal.

• 1 month later...

I've seen enough of the players to convince me that they're good enough to be top-end contenders individually. As a collective, my granny and her pals would wipe the close with them. That is down to coaching and organisation.

The issue of funds, or lack of, just opens the usual can of worms. Thistle does not (I think) need a multi-million pound playing budget for good SFL1 football.

Oh so we're not gonna see Messi and Xavi at Firhill then, drat.