Are We Being Unfair To Mcnamara?

Auld Jag

Are some Thistle fans being unfair on McNamara saying it is time for him to go?This is his first full season as a manager and yes he has made mistakes but at the moment we are not in the bottom 2 of the league and after seeing a number of rookie managers coming to Firhill only to be saked because we were close to the relegation area,not finishing in the bottom 2 might count as some sort of success.I know that is not an ambitious point of view. But i would expexct to see an improvement next season.Does anybody know if our manager ever gets any tips of Lambie? As i feel that our managerial team is very inexperinced and getting some advise from an old head might help.I dont remember hearing anything about McNamaras contract,anybody know how long it is? Also looking at our league, if there were play offs to go up to the SPL every team in our league would have something to play for either to go up or to escape relegation.I am sure this would mean the crowds would be higher.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are some Thistle fans being unfair on McNamara saying it is time for him to go?This is his first full season as a manager and yes he has made mistakes but at the moment we are not in the bottom 2 of the league and after seeing a number of rookie managers coming to Firhill only to be saked because we were close to the relegation area,not finishing in the bottom 2 might count as some sort of success.I know that is not an ambitious point of view. But i would expexct to see an improvement next season.Does anybody know if our manager ever gets any tips of Lambie? As i feel that our managerial team is very inexperinced and getting some advise from an old head might help.I dont remember hearing anything about McNamaras contract,anybody know how long it is? Also looking at our league, if there were play offs to go up to the SPL every team in our league would have something to play for either to go up or to escape relegation.I am sure this would mean the crowds would be higher.

This whole season is de ja vu for me. reminds me of the Derek Whyte season. I think he's gonna get us dragged into a relegation scrap. We have been woeful this season and we have got gradually worse. he doesnt have a clue. get shot of him

This whole season is de ja vu for me. reminds me of the Derek Whyte season. I think he's gonna get us dragged into a relegation scrap. We have been woeful this season and we have got gradually worse. he doesnt have a clue. get shot of him

I dont think we have been woefull all season.We have though been very inconscictent.Tuesday nights game summed our season up for me we showed how bad we can be,but also showed how good we can be.

I dont think we have been woefull all season.We have though been very inconscictent.Tuesday nights game summed our season up for me we showed how bad we can be,but also showed how good we can be.

The "how good we can be" spells do seem to be the exception, the kind of spell that just about every other team will show at least a few times per season. When things started going terribly wrong yesterday, a clogged up midfield, misplaced passes, nobody moving for each other, I wondered why on earth McNamara was doing nothing to change things around. He doesn't seem to be one for changing things at short notice when it looks essential to do so.

We'll probably end up mid-table this season. Not a success by any means. Simply mediocre. And that's in spite of starting the season quite optimistically, having what looked like good signings.

The short answer, in my opinion, is yes. We have been inconsistent but apart from Ross County and Falkirk so have all the teams (even those with experienced managers). I think that our fans, and the fans of lots of other clubs, are frustrated with some of the things that are taking place at their club but more so with the overall structure/state of Scottish football as a whole. Add in the fact that there is a general lack of patience amongst football fans combined with the modern reality television show "somebody has to be voted out each week" attitude and it is a difficult time to be a manager of any club not just Thistle.

Turn that question around, shall we? Is Jackie being fair to the fans?

you can only piss with the **** you have got, it is not the team he wants, its the team he can afford.

once they get on the pitch its the players that do the job, i was saying at the game yesterday that the bench dosnt fill me with hope and dosnt give jackie much to play with

you can only piss with the **** you have got, it is not the team he wants, its the team he can afford.

once they get on the pitch its the players that do the job, i was saying at the game yesterday that the bench dosnt fill me with hope and dosnt give jackie much to play with

I've seen enough of the players to convince me that they're good enough to be top-end contenders individually. As a collective, my granny and her pals would wipe the close with them. That is down to coaching and organisation.

The issue of funds, or lack of, just opens the usual can of worms. Thistle does not (I think) need a multi-million pound playing budget for good SFL1 football.

People should remember why the Club can only to budget for a certain calibre of player these days. Those people responsible for this have walked away from the Club scot-free. The focus and attention will always be laid at the managers door and the main culprits for our steadying decline will be still be hovering around the Club, with their free shares having a say in the future of PTFC. We'll never move forward until we are debt free.

An inexperienced manager and some inexperienced players, at this level which were added to the squad meant that you had to accept we would been inconsistent.

However, some of the manner of defeats this season have nothing short of disgraceful. Not to mention the lack of creativity and willingness to shoot on goal.

After the Berwick cup match, I really didn't think it could get as bad as that. Culter away, the QoS cup match and Livingston away, the three ones which stand out from a large crowd have left me completely fed up, uninterested and embarrassed. Livingston away was probably the lowest and angriest I've felt after a Thistle match and that's taking into consideration the Ayr game in 98 and several Campbell esque pumpings at home. The squad threw in the towel after 50 minutes and to me it somes up two things. First of all, the management and secondly the attitude and desire to win in the players themselves.

So to answer your question, no we're not being harsh on McNamara.

Big improvements will need to be made next season because he'll be given another season to prove himself.

No for the following facts-

Smith at Dundee is doing pretty well in his first full season in charge.

His signings are terrible, He signed the woeful Elliot without even seeing him play.

Our only decent players are those that McCall signed.

The results against Culter and Berwick were a disgrace.

The team look like they simply don't care.

People should remember why the Club can only to budget for a certain calibre of player these days. Those people responsible for this have walked away from the Club scot-free. The focus and attention will always be laid at the managers door and the main culprits for our steadying decline will be still be hovering around the Club, with their free shares having a say in the future of PTFC. We'll never move forward until we are debt free.

An inexperienced manager and some inexperienced players, at this level which were added to the squad meant that you had to accept we would been inconsistent.

However, some of the manner of defeats this season have nothing short of disgraceful. Not to mention the lack of creativity and willingness to shoot on goal.

After the Berwick cup match, I really didn't think it could get as bad as that. Culter away, the QoS cup match and Livingston away, the three ones which stand out from a large crowd have left me completely fed up, uninterested and embarrassed. Livingston away was probably the lowest and angriest I've felt after a Thistle match and that's taking into consideration the Ayr game in 98 and several Campbell esque pumpings at home. The squad threw in the towel after 50 minutes and to me it somes up two things. First of all, the management and secondly the attitude and desire to win in the players themselves.

So to answer your question, no we're not being harsh on McNamara.

Big improvements will need to be made next season because he'll be given another season to prove himself.

Blaming 'certain people' from the recent past only gets us so far. That does not really absolve an individual of his guilt in turning into a total woodentop when he has a ball at his feet 12 yards from goal in the 2011-12 season.

No for the following facts-

Smith at Dundee is doing pretty well in his first full season in charge.

His signings are terrible, He signed the woeful Elliot without even seeing him play.

Our only decent players are those that McCall signed.

The results against Culter and Berwick were a disgrace.

The team look like they simply don't care.

Those are the ones that stand out for me. Our best players are Doolan, Rowson and Cairney. The loan signings have been poor. Elliott and Stewart are rotten. Sinclair hasn't really lived up to early season expectations and I like O'Donnell, but when hes being played out of position, hes useless. I really can't be arsed with bitching about budgets. We were knocked out of the cups by diddy teams in perfectly winnable ties, which would have created some finance and then the management spunked the only available money left on a dud from Hibs who obviously isn't good enough going on our squad yesterday. How do they evaluate what players to bring in? Speak to some of their agent pals and see who they are offering?

Also, it seems without Hutton in the team, the whole rejigging of things with Paton and O'Donnell playing out of position to make up for his loss has failed. The recent form, lack of goals and we're shite away from home also gives grounds for criticism.

Not really the buck stops with him it cant be any other way, lets hope we can get to the end of the season without being relegated and maybe we can regroup come the close season,I think he will still be here next season but it would need an amazing turnaround in my opinion for us to be challenging.

Yep, a lot of luck would be required. We'll probably lose our best players at the end of the season, pick up some freebies and juniors, and take on a couple of new loan players who have no real interest in playing for Thistle. Unlikely to see any "exciting" newcomers arrive this summer, unless somebody somewhere gives us some cash to invest.

Not really the buck stops with him it cant be any other way, lets hope we can get to the end of the season without being relegated and maybe we can regroup come the close season,I think he will still be here next season but it would need an amazing turnaround in my opinion for us to be challenging.

Spot on he is paid to manage, so he will sink or swim by his doing, if he was doing well we'd be praising him as we're crap yes we can slate him, I really fear for us next year cause if it wasn't for a really bad Ayr Raith and QoS this year we'd be down already. This is a poor 1st division this year by recent standards, the old Falkirk, Dundee St J Accies Livi teams would take 5 of this team easy, if the league improves next year we better hope Jackie gets his finger out fast

Yeah, but that's not really fair as the reason the thistle team isn't as good as it should be is partly the same reason raith, qos and Ayr aren't as good as they should be for 1st div sides. Scottish football as a whole is on a downward spiral. That said, for different reasons, McNamara hasn't exactly set the world alight.

We have good enough players to be up the top of the league. On their day; fox, sinclair, Cairney, Doolan, rowson, Archie, Elliot, erskine, O'Donnell, Kinniburgh, Balatoni can all be very good. But we need a team, not just good players. How do we make these players who can be good, then terrible, into a constant team? I have no idea, but you have to start to question either the players mental attitude & desire or the managers ability to simply coach & motivate a young squad of players.

I know something, if Lambie was manager, no way would the players play like they do a lot of the time just now. No saying Lambie didn't make mistakes, but he wouldn't put up with the players only trying 1 game in 3.

We have good enough players to be up the top of the league. On their day; fox, sinclair, Cairney, Doolan, rowson, Archie, Elliot, erskine, O'Donnell, Kinniburgh, Balatoni can all be very good. But we need a team, not just good players. How do we make these players who can be good, then terrible, into a constant team? I have no idea, but you have to start to question either the players mental attitude & desire or the managers ability to simply coach & motivate a young squad of players.

I know something, if Lambie was manager, no way would the players play like they do a lot of the time just now. No saying Lambie didn't make mistakes, but he wouldn't put up with the players only trying 1 game in 3.

I would agree about the part about Lambie.As for McNamara I actually think that he would probably do a decent job elsewhere., but NOT Thistle! We are a weird club to manage.Unbelievably eccentric and the supporters are and always have been very unforgiving. We can be the biggest ********* on earth, moaning like hell.You need to be a bit of a bampot and a hard sod to be relatively successful at Thistle. in my time only McParland, although he was not loud, Auld and Lambie have handled the job to any great degree of success, in their vastly differing styles.I like McNamara as a footballer, but I think hes taken on a job thats too tough for him, due to the nature of the club Thistle are.

he may be struggling at QOS, but I still think Gus McPherson is that type of boss that would fit Thistle.

I would agree about the part about Lambie.As for McNamara I actually think that he would probably do a decent job elsewhere., but NOT Thistle! We are a weird club to manage.Unbelievably eccentric and the supporters are and always have been very unforgiving. We can be the biggest ********* on earth, moaning like hell.You need to be a bit of a bampot and a hard sod to be relatively successful at Thistle. in my time only McParland, although he was not loud, Auld and Lambie have handled the job to any great degree of success, in their vastly differing styles.I like McNamara as a footballer, but I think hes taken on a job thats too tough for him, due to the nature of the club Thistle are.

he may be struggling at QOS, but I still think Gus McPherson is that type of boss that would fit Thistle.

Some good points there. On managers:

Successful (i.e. did a superb job, or at least did well enough to keep just about everybody happy): McParland, Auld, Lambie

Failures and non-entities (in no particular order): Cormack, Johnstone, Clarke, Rooney, McLeod, Campbell, Whyte & Britton, McVeigh, Bryce, McCall.... I've probably forgotten others.