Speculate To Accumulate

potty trained

I wondered where Jim McLean had got to these days...

I'm quite encouraged by the continuity - we have 18 players who played in the first team last year (although that includes Halsman) plus the 3 new guys already signed up. Hopefully that will count for something by the time the season kicks off.

Main worry is up front, behind Doolan we have a guy who shows promise but has played less than 10 games of pro football, and two duds (IMO). I'd be happy to move one or both of Fraser and Elliott on to free up squad space... but for who to come in, I don't know.

Top class players like Christie Elliot and Tommy Stewart?

For Tommy Stewart it just did not work out. Think most who saw him play knew there was talent there but for one reason or another it never happened. Christie has made a massive step up and got off to a good start then faded. Same thing happened with Doolan and he is doing OK now is he not?

Christie needs time to develop and I'm sure we all hope he will benefit from having a pre season. There is a lot expected from Mark McGuigan next season. He is a very intelligent player and desperate to prove himself at the club. Again, getting a pre season under his belt will do him no harm at all.

For Tommy Stewart it just did not work out. Think most who saw him play knew there was talent there but for one reason or another it never happened. Christie has made a massive step up and got off to a good start then faded. Same thing happened with Doolan and he is doing OK now is he not?

Christie needs time to develop and I'm sure we all hope he will benefit from having a pre season. There is a lot expected from Mark McGuigan next season. He is a very intelligent player and desperate to prove himself at the club. Again, getting a pre season under his belt will do him no harm at all.

What is going on? I actually agree with you! Eiliot has great potential and just needs time - he is still young and this was his 1st full season.

I don't think there will be any sort league reconstruction any time in the near future though, good to see us signing players early get a good pre season then who knows? Pre season optimism - don't you just love it? :)

What is going on? I actually agree with you! Eiliot has great potential and just needs time - he is still young and this was his 1st full season.

I don't think there will be any sort league reconstruction any time in the near future though, good to see us signing players early get a good pre season then who knows? Pre season optimism - don't you just love it? :)

See, I'm not that bad really.

I know a lot depends on our lads developing but should they do just that, there is a very good side there. I'll be even happier if Welsh joins in the next week or two.

See, I'm not that bad really.

I know a lot depends on our lads developing but should they do just that, there is a very good side there. I'll be even happier if Welsh joins in the next week or two.

I think with a good pre season Elliot has a lot of potential. He joined in August so missed pre season last year and with this being his first full season it's not really a surprise he faded fast!

I imagine it shall be after the cup final before Welsh signs. Well hopefully he does sign! :)

I think with a good pre season Elliot has a lot of potential. He joined in August so missed pre season last year and with this being his first full season it's not really a surprise he faded fast!

I imagine it shall be after the cup final before Welsh signs. Well hopefully he does sign! :)

One thing I know Jackie wants to see a massive improvement on , is our ability to score from set pieces. He knows that is an area we let ourselves down last season. He certainly thinks Welsh would offer us a threat at set pieces. We'll just have to wait and see if he does join us.

Christie has made a massive step up and got off to a good start then faded. Same thing happened with Doolan and he is doing OK now is he not?

Good point here - this is only Elliott's first season playing full time football. I'd like to think that, given a full pre-season, he can develop into a better footballer than we've seen over the last 4 months....

YES!: Prediction: Elliot will come good, as will McGuigan.

Thistle are rising again!

Edited by Jaggernaut

The speculate to accumulate could be a very good move. With what is going on on the other side of the Clyde, it is just possible that the whole SPL would become embroiled in legal cases and a court injuction saught to block the SPL fixtures starting. No SPL makes our league the top one in Scotland, so we could be playing Champions League football in the 2013/14 season !

Bring on Barca !

Thank god for the little bit of support Elliot is getting on here, after the unfair criticism he was getting earlier in the season.

Remember Doolan's first two seasons here? He didn't score as many as Elliot in his first year and then was shipped out to Clyde of all teams as he couldn't break through. If Elliot gets a solid pre-season under his belt and works on his first touch, he will be a very resourceful player next season.

People do remember that Eliot is 19/20 don't they?

I'm sure there are days when you were that age that you under-performed at your jobs.

Give him time to grow and don't expect a 20+ goal a season striker instantly

That's a fair point and one that I am guilty of often forgetting.

As it has also been said, Christie didn't get a full pre-season last year and that perhaps hindered him at times. He has made a big step up and maybe too much was expected of him last season.

I would be keen to see him with a full pre-season under his belt and then maybe even loaning him out to the Third Division for a month or two to hopefully get him scoring goals and build some confidence.