Martin Hardie Released By Pars

jagfox

Don't think there's room in central midfield for him at Firhill.

Maybe not the centre of midfield. All depends on his wages, if we were even interested.

Not being nostalgic here, but I like the thought of Hardie joining the likes of Archibald, Rowson and Murray as the experienced pros at the Club. That would be a nice core to have to help the younger players.

He's definitely got one year in him left at this level anyway.

He looked decent 2 years back on loan, and I'm sure he'd still do a turn, but christ that would be the oldest midfield in the history of football with Rowser and Murray already here. Any finances we have left have to go on a striker, that has to be number 1 priority.

Big Mad Mental is a legend. And like most legends they remain that generally by not coming back and forever being what they became !!

Martin Hardie I am sure could still do a turn for us. But pushing for promotion. . . I don't think so sadly !

I think we all know our prospective midfield team for next year is based on experience. But we do need to have a blend of youth and experience.

Cairney's departure is unfortunate.

Edited by Jaggy1967

From p&b:

da_no_1

Yesterday, 23:32Major cost-cutting at EEP. Out of those out of contract only two, Mason & Buchanan, have been offered contracts on reduced terms. Mark Kerr is on holiday as is Andy Dowie.

Those released -

Graham, Smith, Potter, Keddie, McDougall, Hardie, Rutkiewicz, Bell, Phinn, Clarke.

Any others of interest?

Don't want him.

A - Hes getting older - Three years older than Murray

B - Where do you shoehorn him in?

The only two who interest me from Dunfermline are Graham - never going to be able to afford his wages, and McDougall. Doubt we would go in for him however.

Edited by MWM

So, Dunfermline don't think he's the right man to play any role in their challenge to get back to the SPL, yet he'd be good enough for our own challenge? He's more injury prone than ever, will be even older than he was when he was last here, and is still probably "mental". That is a recipe for a waste of a wage, imo.

So, Dunfermline don't think he's the right man to play any role in their challenge to get back to the SPL, yet he'd be good enough for our own challenge? He's more injury prone than ever, will be even older than he was when he was last here, and is still probably "mental". That is a recipe for a waste of a wage, imo.

Too early to judge till we see Dunfermline's summer signings but on face value if they can't afford or justify his wage then you've got to have Jaggernaut's thinking in the back of your mind somehere.

I know they're different types of players but had we not signed Murray then I could see slightly more justification for offering Hardie some sort of deal. Kind of like Big Boab, only a league up, BMMH would chip in with a good few free kicks.

As for Keddie. Was he not one of the Pars top scorers last season? :unsure::)

I'm not sure we have a place for him unfortunately. We already have Rowson, Paton, Murray, Welsh (probably), Bannigan, Erskine and Lawless available in midfield, where we will most likely be playing with two defensive players and one attacking player. I can see Hardie moving to a newly promoted first division side. He'd be a great signing for Dumbarton.

I would not be against taking Hardie in for pre-season training to take a look at him. Great guy to have in the dressing room and I think he may still be effective in a striker’s role at this level.

This would all depend on if we have any money left in the budget.

I doubt he can run for more than 30 minutes in a game. When he spent a few games with us a couple of years ago it was his passing, vision and leadership that stood out. His pointing ability was fantastic too. He doesn't have the pace up front, and over the past few years I've gotten sick of us playing midfielders as strikers (Donnelly, Erskine and probably more).

Not sure about Hardie returning but someone who I'd definitely take if he's fit, and that's a big if, is Steven Bell. Very good player.

Think he's getting a chance to prove his fitness with the Pars before JJ decides if he stays or goes.

I would have preferred Hardie to Murray, especially if he was looking to take on some coaching experience, but that ship has sailed, and we surely don't have room to add Hardie to Rowson and Murray in central midfield. OIder players have a tendency to get injured more regularly, and we would have three central midfielders well into their 30s. If we're looking to add another midfielder it must be Welsh or someone much younger.

I doubt he can run for more than 30 minutes in a game. When he spent a few games with us a couple of years ago it was his passing, vision and leadership that stood out. His pointing ability was fantastic too. He doesn't have the pace up front, and over the past few years I've gotten sick of us playing midfielders as strikers (Donnelly, Erskine and probably more).

I think Hardie has proved himself to be able to play upfront and in terms of football brain, heading ability and holding the ball up he is streets ahead of most in this division. He would link up well with Doolan. We lacked the ability to come back after going behind in games and Hardie has proven himself in that regard over the years. Would anybody be surprised if he hit double figures in goals for next season in this league? Would be a great option to bring off the bench. Signing him would be a big risk, and it’s not one I think Jackie will take.

Would love to see us go and prise big David Graham away from Raith Rovers, averaged nearly a goal every second game for Raith. No chance of this happening given we would need to pay a transfer fee for him. Would not surprise me if Dundee went for him.

Edited by Alan Murray

I think Hardie has proved himself to be able to play upfront and in terms of football brain, heading ability and holding the ball up he is streets ahead of most in this division. He would link up well with Doolan. We lacked the ability to come back after going behind in games and Hardie has proven himself in that regard over the years. Would anybody be surprised if he hit double figures in goals for next season in this league? Would be a great option to bring off the bench. Signing him would be a big risk, and it’s not one I think Jackie will take.

Would love to see us go and prise big David Graham away from Raith Rovers, averaged nearly a goal every second game for Raith. No chance of this happening given we would need to pay a transfer fee for him. Would not surprise me if Dundee went for him.

Brian Graham? Absolute carthorse of a player, not what we need or want, surprised he's playing in the 1st division. Yes he scored against us, only game I remember him was away to Raith, he scored, but up until that point he made Jim Hamilton look like van Nistelrooy in his prime.