New Thistle Statement

gg1971

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least it's a declaration of "No to newco in the 1st" if that's proposed "on its own". The latter shows that there is still some fence-sitting going on, and also a willingness to do what they get told to do by the SFA.

So, SFA, are you going to let the SPL, and one as yet non-existent club dictate the terms, probably in such a way that you might claim a moral victory?

The ONLY way to do this would be to suspend any new entries into the league system for at least one year, and take the time to sort out league reconstruction that will be acceptable to the majority of clubs, in consultation with their fans.

And this reconstruction probably involves no more than 3 divisions in all, with SPL 1 being expanded to at least 14, (16 teams better), with two-up/down promotion and relegation. Newco to start off in the lowest division.

Ironically, if the SFA get this wrong (i.e. simply caving in to the SPL and newco), they might end up killing many of their clubs.

Thank god. They finally showed some courage and said no to the new-co in the first division. Correct decision. Proud to be a jags fan.

Naw they didnae - they said it's unacceptable on its' own (it's not being offered on its' own but as part of some half assed 'reform' package) - and they then go on to say basically please don't make us vote on it - compared with the East Fife statement it's a total cop-out

"Unquestionably there are major financial consequences, for all Clubs in Scotland, should a newco Rangers club not take a place in next season’s SPL and there has been a proposal put in front of the SFL clubs that would allow Rangers direct entry into SFL1, contrary to the current league rules. On its own this proposal is clearly unacceptable, on a number of levels, and is something the Board of PTFC are not prepared to support."

Kinda sounds like they don't support Newco joining the First Division.

deliciously unspecific as per fekin usual

I dont care the reasons why they said no, im just glad they did, Being a glasgow club we probably have ties with both rabgers and celtic. So im happy they said no and by the looks of it the newco were expecting more than they bargained for

Decent statement , not perfect but states no to newco in SFL1.

I read it that they looked at the proposal placed in front of the SFL yesterday , which would include all the financial bribery from the SPL and said bollocks to that.

Thank god. They finally showed some courage and said no to the new-co in the first division. Correct decision. Proud to be a jags fan.

The statement does not say no to Newco in the first division. All it says is that "on its own this proposal is clearly unacceptable, on a number of levels, and is something the Board of PTFC are not prepared to support."

It appears that if the proposal was altered in an acceptable way, the club would be prepared to support Newco in the first division. The buck is then passed to the SFA to produce a new proposal.

This statement is unacceptable. The club had a clear opportunity to state clearly that Newco should apply for entry to the bottom division. It did not do so and it would appear that the SFA can buy our support with an acceptable proposal.

I cannot support the club's position. The fans must make their displeasure clear to the Chairman and senior officials at Firhill.

Decent statement , not perfect but states no to newco in SFL1.

I read it that they looked at the proposal placed in front of the SFL yesterday , which would include all the financial bribery from the SPL and said bollocks to that.

How about not bollocks, but instead we don't want to be seen to agree to it, so pass it all on to the SFA to take the flak when it happens?

Naw they didnae - they said it's unacceptable on its' own (it's not being offered on its' own but as part of some half assed 'reform' package) - and they then go on to say basically please don't make us vote on it - compared with the East Fife statement it's a total cop-out

Spot on! The club has lost my support.

How about not bollocks, but instead we don't want to be seen to agree to it, so pass it all on to the SFA to take the flak when it happens?

Pretty much exactly how I read it.

We don't want our fingerprints on it, but will accept it if passed down to us from on high by the SFA. And then it just comes down to whether people can stomach sharing a league with Newco next season. For me, it would be game over, but I don't begrudge anyone spending their money to prop up a self-confessedly pre-destined sporting competition. Put your mortgage on Newco for the title and you might come out well ahead here.

I am happy with that statement, No to Newco, spells out we need reconstruction from the SFA and not a new construction of the SPL2!

It is up the the SFA to sort this out we can't trust certain SPL clubs organising our leagues. Remember turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

Let's stop bickering and get behind the team!

Looking at it again, our position hasn't actually changed since Beattie's original interview. We've just passed the buck to the SFA. I still believe the board want to vote yes, but are attempting to palm the decision of to someone else.

I did not have to read it twice to come to the same conclusion. Our vote can be bought at the right price, i.e. an "acceptable" proposal from the `SFA.

I am happy with that statement, No to Newco, spells out we need reconstruction from the SFA and not a new construction of the SPL2!

It is up the the SFA to sort this out we can't trust certain SPL clubs organising our leagues. Remember turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

Let's stop bickering and get behind the team!

No to Newco in the SFL (any division) without 3 years in another league!

Whoa, hold your horses. No mention made of SPL2, at all. That could be the reform the club is willing to acquiesce to, as per Beattie's comments in his interviews.

Pretty much exactly how I read it.

We don't want our fingerprints on it, but will accept it if passed down to us from on high by the SFA. And then it just comes down to whether people can stomach sharing a league with Newco next season. For me, it would be game over, but I don't begrudge anyone spending their money to prop up a self-confessedly pre-destined sporting competition. Put your mortgage on Newco for the title and you might come out well ahead here.

Unless there is a radical change of structure, say only two or three divisions, and newco are grudgingly permitted to enter the system at the bottom tier by the SFA, then I'd probably accept that. But if it's essentially "no change" and just some minor tinkering and acceptance of bribery/threats, then I'm also out for ever. Here's hoping that our representatives make these feelings known to the SFA before it's too late.

The only things that are any different from the previous statements is that they've listened to the fans' opinions, and they want to be told what to do by the SFA.

In other words, the fans' opinions aren't enough for them to take a principled stand of the type that others have taken.

Edited by Jaggernaut