New Thistle Statement

gg1971

Whoa, hold your horses. No mention made of SPL2, at all. That could be the reform the club is willing to acquiesce to, as per Beattie's comments in his interviews.

I believe that Beattie wants the SFA in total control, i.e. the leagues too, with Newco in the 2nd tier of the new structure.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Beattie wants the SFA in total control, i.e. the leagues too, with Newco in the 2nd tier of the new structure.

The SFA and SPL have abdicated their responsibility - the time lag on this issue has been a total disgrace - it's been quite visibly passed to the wee teams in the SFL to decide ... and still the custodians of our club join in this most distasteful of pass the parcel games with their dithering .... to me to you to me to you

Blah blah blah blah blah blah-blah-blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah rhubarb blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah rhubarb.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah-blah-blah serious times. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Scottish game in crisis. Blah blah blah blah our fans are furious but f*ck them, what do they know? Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah if the SFA wants to get the lube out and slap it right up the SFL it's fine by us, but remember we have a price - which is whatever you want to offer us blah blah blah blah.

The first step to voting for Perfidious Albion into SFL1, I fear. Our club just has to name its price.

Edited by McKennan

Dear PTFC,

Until you come out and definitively say no to the situation with Newco in SFL1, then my support for the club continues to be withdrawn.

Thanks.

+1. The rules that existed when RFC folded must be applied.

In fact, we and other SFL clubs could be better off with no Newco/RFC in the SFL.

Only had a quick browse over the statement during my break but it struck me as a total cop out, passing the buck onto the SFA instead of fully condemning the whole notion of admitting NewCo.

Yes, we need reconstruction but not on a whim and certainly not in order to accommodate NewCo.

I'm fairly happy with the clubs statement it says NO to the current proposal and recognises the need for change in Scottish Football.

The SFA should be taking responsibility for the game and restructuring it accordingly with the approval of the clubs.

It was interesting to hear Regan say last night on the radio , it was his personal view that Rangers would not be granted a licence this year anyway. If that's the case why have the SFA not came out with any official statement , why were they so quick to rush things through a tribunal and quickly convene a appeal tribunal, yet since it went to court and they were asked to review the judgement there has been silence. If they had acted in the first place and dealt with it - clubs would not be facing this nightmare scenario

Only had a quick browse over the statement during my break but it struck me as a total cop out, passing the buck onto the SFA instead of fully condemning the whole notion of admitting NewCo.

Yes, we need reconstruction but not on a whim and certainly not in order to accommodate NewCo.

Yes. The statement is disingenuous.

The fact that we are even arguing over what the statement means tells you everything you need to know.

It should be a simple yes or no, and shouldn't be open to interpretation.

Was the East Fife statement open to interpretation? It certainly was not.

Statement 4 goes some way to appeasing me but not all the way to renewal of ST. That will depend on what is put to the vote by SFA (if they grow a pair) and how PTFC vote on it. As an opening gambit for negotiations with SFA about what is needed it is a reasonable start - no more, no less.

My view (probably someone else has come up with something similar) :-

1. SPL must make their decision TODAY, accept SEVCO in and deal with the flak or reject them.

2. If rejected, SFL accept them only into SFL3 this coming season. If the SPL want the cash cow back in the top divison quicker than 3 years, then demand restructure with new leagues of 16/16/10 all under one organisation with new leagues A, B & C for 2013/2014.

League A - Top 11 from SPL + Top 5 from SFL1.

League B - Bottom club from SPL + Bottom 5 from SFL1 + Top 9 from SFL2 + Winner of SFL3 ( Newco's potential 'ladder')

League C - Bottom club from SFL2 + remaining clubs from SFL3 + potentially additional clubs in the future.

Some play-offs could also be included and any splits within the season could be decided later.

The 'compromise' that's being foisted on the SFL would be allowing promotion to the top league in TWO years from the bottom league not just for Sevco but any other team currently in SFL3.

Edited by weebaldie

God we are never happy are we. I think the statement is fine and appluad them for the update.

Applaud them for what? Making yet another statement that says bugger all apart from that they are content to be arse-ploughed by the dirty, corrupt member of the SFA?

Agreed. All they had to say was no, but instead we have a fourth and long statement that mumbles a lot of unconvincing pish.

I read it as a 'No', and I'm absolutely delighted about that. And I think PTFC is correct in saying that it is not for the SFL to resolve the newco question, it is for the SFA.

Maybe I'm in the minority here with you but I kind of read it as no as well.

The whole saga is down to the incompetence of the SFA SPL. SFL and Rangers for getting them into such a situation, they are the guilty ones in my opinion not Partick Thistle

Personally I thought the board was right to wait, before confirming their stance. However it's put, it's a clear no to any "newco" joining the first division.

No matter what your position on this fiasco, i think everyone is pretty much in agreement that scottish football needs re-organised/ re-structured.

I think that everyone also recognises that Rangers' actions will have a negative impact on finances across all of the divisions, especially in the SPL, but may have further reaching consequences in terms of sponsorship for the game as a whole.

Whether we like it or not, currently it's the SFA who make the rules governing Scottish Football in general, and therefore I agree that it's entirely up to them to sort this out.

Whether they do or not, or are capable of doing it, is another matter - and that's maybe more what the club's statement is alluding to, rather than any passing of the buck thats been suggested.

I think we're looking at the biggest fundamental shift we've ever had in the balance of power in Scottish Football here - and it's therefore an opportunity to force change for the good of the whole game.

I just really really hope we can take it and come out the other side with a structure and set-up that's fair & equitable and rewards who work within the system - however tough it is for the next few years.

This is fine for me - what I expected.

it's a bit dull but it is pragmatic.

I don't mind the idea that we bump this to the SFA - we can't lose sight of the fact that this is an opportunity for root and branch restructuring of Scottish Football. I'm not too sure that a gaggle of SFL chairmen are the right people to decide the future of our game - I kind of liked what I'd read from that Turnbull Hutton guy but after hearing him on Radio Scotland last night and he didn't sound too impressive.

I'll accept it with reservation.for a couple of reasons.

Firstly it's been my belief for some time, just haven't mentioned it as not much more than speculation, that Beattie/PTFC Board have been movers and shakers in either a breakaway SPL2 or at least something in that direction (some unofficial sort of steering group perhaps). That would go a considerable way to explaining the ambiguity in all the Club statements on this. In other words he/Club had dug a hole for themselves.

Dark Passenger reckons it was David Beattie's intention to vote yes all along. I kinda agree to a point but reckon when the sheer level of opposition from his own fanbase and chairmen of potential SPL2 clubs materialised he/they have backpedalled. I feel then we can cut some slack and let him/them wriggle out.

Secondly all that's happened and is happening is the newco decision is getting passed back and forward between two discredited and past their sell by outfits. At sometime the SFA is going to have to stop the buck passing and step in and take control. I've no great faith that the SFA, who are usually capable of moronic decisions, will dispense the judgement of Solomon especially as whatever they do will have to be expedited.

This puts myself and I imagine a good few others with a difficult decision to make. If the treatment on newco is getting taken out of our hands I want to support the Club and buy a season ticket as per normal and asap. I don't on the other hand really want to buy a season ticket for a league that's compromised from Day 1.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The SFL had a huge opportunity yesterday to put the ball back in the SPL court.

At the end of the meeting, a statement which read the following would have done the job;

"The SFL has decided that in the event of Newco Rangers' rejection from the SPL, the SFL will accept the new club into their Division 3."

This would have left the decision firmly with the SPL, then they could choose to accept them if they wish (and go back on their big brave statements), or reject them while in full knowledge of the consequences.

I read it as a 'No', and I'm absolutely delighted about that. And I think PTFC is correct in saying that it is not for the SFL to resolve the newco question, it is for the SFA.

It's more "No, but ..." to my way of reading it. If this were the US it'd be sold to the public as Negatory Lite.

It is not a clear and unequivocal "No." It doesn't even pretend to be. It leaves the door wide open for Newco in the 1st Division next year and if that happens, no matter what questionable short term incentives it brings with it, Scottish professional football, as a meaningful competition, is dead for ever.