There will be old firm games this year, a Glasgow cup is one option for them. The other option for them is to organize a tournament and maybe bring over a few English team or decent foreign opposition. Would other thistle fans have any problem with us appearing in the Glasgow cup this year? I think it would be home and away against the other 3 Glasgow clubs and then a final, which would bring in some much needed extra revenue.

Edited by Alan Murray

As the article says, Celtic & Sevco Rovers (in their previous guise) that insisted this tournament was too much with all the other competitions they played & decided it would be a youth tournament in the future.

How times change.

Personally i'd veto the idea of making it a senior tournament & encourage QP & Clyde to do same. As far as i'm aware there is no voting structure in the Glasgow FA (not to say it won't be made up though).

In all seriousness, why would Clyde & QP want to play Sevco Rovers 4 times in the league then play them in this also?

As an foreigner, I have no knowledge about the Glasgow Cup.

However, I was interested in what I read from someone about the way of winnner-decision in the Glasgow Cup.

From my memory, someone was writing that the winners were decided by the number of Corners in the case of draws.

Am I correct?

I think that counting the number of corners is a good way of avoiding too many draws.

For example,

Goal from outside of PA -- 17 points

Goal from inside of PA -- 10 points

Corner -- 1 point

This scoring system would work well and the number of draws will be drastically reduced.

This really does appear to be a totally contrived attempt to get OF games come hell or high water.It would appear that those in favour of this proposal have learnt absolutely nothing from the events of the last few months. What they are essentially saying is that OF supporters are dasically folls who wil rush like the proverbial Gaderne swine to get their fix of hatred and sectarianism. No matter the truth of this assertion to many non-OF fans in Scotland, it does reveal a totally cynical if not morally corrupt perspective, on the part of those who organise proffessional football in this country.

I'd suspect that they'd attempt to give 90% of prizemoney to the two finalists, and they'd be hoping Zombie Rangers finish in the top two with Celtic. When I was younger I really liked the idea of the Glasgow Cup, and other parts of the country seem to take local tournaments slightly more seriously. Although they're usually pre-season friendlies, like Morton and St Mirren I think.

As the article says, Celtic & Sevco Rovers (in their previous guise) that insisted this tournament was too much with all the other competitions they played & decided it would be a youth tournament in the future.

How times change.

Personally i'd veto the idea of making it a senior tournament & encourage QP & Clyde to do same. As far as i'm aware there is no voting structure in the Glasgow FA (not to say it won't be made up though).

In all seriousness, why would Clyde & QP want to play Sevco Rovers 4 times in the league then play them in this also?

Money? And presumably they're as likely to play us or Celtic.

I don't have a problem with an updated Glasgow Cup, even if it is being redefined primarily as a vehicle for the OF to play each other. It would add a bit of much needed variety.

It would be a shambles.

Us and Celtic wouldn't take it seriously as we have bigger fish to fry so would field weakened teams, Rangers barely have a team and Celtic fans would no doubt boycott the OF games if not the whole thing as it would be seen as a cash generator for the currants.

Let them play each other once a month and call it the 'Manifest Destiny Cup', or something. Although, if they could play outside Glasgow, somewhere remote, so the city isn't sullied with all their garbage.

Hey! Isn't that great? Glasgow wont have to put up with all the sickening bile and horrible clouds of hate that traditionally descend every Old Firm weekend for years now! Makes me wish I wasn't about to leave!

Hey! Isn't that great? Glasgow wont have to put up with all the sickening bile and horrible clouds of hate that traditionally descend every Old Firm weekend for years now! Makes me wish I wasn't about to leave!

There are (at least) 2 competing theories on this one.

The first is that the Old Firm rivalry acted as a safety valve for releasing tensions that would otherwise have had even more unhealthy outcomes.

The other is that it acted as a magnet, promoting such tensions in the first place.

This is a bit like the skies over the US in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 - we'll be able to understand what the situation actually is. I firmly believe that it'll be shown to be the latter.

It would be interesting to compare the statistics concerning violence, domestic abuse, arrests for drunkenness, etc, etc in other cities with major footballing rivalries, such as Manchester, Newcastle, even Edinburgh I suppose.

I don't know if it the same but the general feeling of animosity which falls upon this city is palpable, and I am glad on those Old Firm days I don't have to leave the house. That's not something you can experience I guess unless you live in one of those cities for a while to know the difference. Seeing as I 'm moving to Dundee soon I guess I'll find out next season what the place is like during a derby day.

It would be interesting to compare the statistics concerning violence, domestic abuse, arrests for drunkenness, etc, etc in other cities with major footballing rivalries, such as Manchester, Newcastle, even Edinburgh I suppose.

I don't know if it the same but the general feeling of animosity which falls upon this city is palpable, and I am glad on those Old Firm days I don't have to leave the house. That's not something you can experience I guess unless you live in one of those cities for a while to know the difference. Seeing as I 'm moving to Dundee soon I guess I'll find out next season what the place is like during a derby day.

Can't be that bad. The teams' grounds are in the same street. Imagine what glasgow would be like if Ibrox and Parkhead were next door. :shok:

If they must revive the Glasgow Cup, it should be on a simple knockout basis.

Four teams: big clubs - us and the Tims; diddy clubs - QP and newjokehunco FC.

To be seeded so that the big clubs get a diddy team in the 'semi-finals'. Strictly no rigging to facilitate a Tims v newjokehunco fundraiser for the latter. To ensure the draw is fairly conducted, Allan Cowan to pull the balls out the bag (fnarr fnarr).

As an foreigner, I have no knowledge about the Glasgow Cup.

However, I was interested in what I read from someone about the way of winnner-decision in the Glasgow Cup.

From my memory, someone was writing that the winners were decided by the number of Corners in the case of draws.

Am I correct?

I think that counting the number of corners is a good way of avoiding too many draws.

For example,

Goal from outside of PA -- 17 points

Goal from inside of PA -- 10 points

Corner -- 1 point

This scoring system would work well and the number of draws will be drastically reduced.

I am very interested in your opinions about my suggestion on the football scoring system.