Tv Deal

Fred Angelo

According to the BBC, the Scottish Football League has approached broadcasters with a package to show up to 25 live Rangers matches in Division Three next season. I'm not sure I favour this, as I presume the SFL will be paying the broadcasters. :thumbsup2:

Not sure if this is a whoosh, but of course the SFL won't be paying. Could be quite a good earner but the SFL has in the past shared any tv money between all 30 clubs. I doubt Zombie Rangers would be happy with that, but they might have to just accept it.

Not sure if this is a whoosh, but of course the SFL won't be paying. Could be quite a good earner but the SFL has in the past shared any tv money between all 30 clubs. I doubt Zombie Rangers would be happy with that, but they might have to just accept it.

On the other hand they might not be around to accept it. Yes the SFA is try to fix them into Div 3 though they'd rather have them in a higher division or the SPL. But look out for league reformation in a few months if things go according to plan.

All this stuff about membership registration for accepting penalties is for 2 things only (IMHO of course)

1 to link newco with oldco so the oldco fans will turn up

2 to get someone to pay for the money UEFA/FIFA insist has to be paid to oldco's European club debtors.

3 once they get them in league reformation to get them to top level ASAP.

(Edit: Forgot to say 4. this why I think Doncaster is still being allowed to be their TV deal negotiator; it doesn't make any other sense to me other than the SPL teams or a large number of them have told Sky some form of Rangers will be back in the SPL ASAP - and he's been their negotiator on this all along so they daren't dump him as he might blab).

The only problem they will have is whether Green (and the hidden backers one of whom might be Whyte or even D Murray) will be able to make a better buck through selling to someone who'll buy the newco off him or whether he gets stuck with it, doesn't want to wait years to make a profit, and liquidates newco and sells off the assets.

Edited by Mr Bunny

According to the BBC, the Scottish Football League has approached broadcasters with a package to show up to 25 live Rangers matches in Division Three next season. I'm not sure I favour this, as I presume the SFL will be paying the broadcasters. :thumbsup2:

Having to watch 25 newco matches sounds like purgatory to me. Is this some form of punishment for armchair fans?!

I'll be watching them if newco are taking a few beatings (which isn't totally out the question if you look at their squad)!

As Kevin Keegan would say, I would LOVE it were this to happen. My dream is for them to finish mid-table; I would laugh for months.

As Kevin Keegan would say, I would LOVE it were this to happen. My dream is for them to finish mid-table; I would laugh for months.

So would I but there is no way they won't walk that division, Alexander in goals and McCulloch alone will ensure that. Hutton will control the games and even those diddies Cole and Naismith will look competent.

If you substitute 'Thistle' for 'Rangers'then I wouldn't be happy to accept that. And we as a support have generally looked for a financial boost from any match that involves us being screened live.

If you substitute 'Thistle' for 'Rangers'then I wouldn't be happy to accept that. And we as a support have generally looked for a financial boost from any match that involves us being screened live.

I know, I don't disagree with you. I'd prefer the SFL to have no TV deal, as it would almost certainly affect away crowds and even perhaps home crowds, but I hope that if the SFL could broker some sort of TV deal it would include and be for the benefit of all three divisions.

I guess if it for off the ground it would be a fee to the sfl to share amongst its members then teams involved in the games would get an arranged match fee.

The sfl could also hold back Sevco''s cut as a security bond in order that they fulfill their fixtures.

I'd like to just add to my previous post. (This is partly pinched from someone else's post on RTC but expresses my feelings exactly):

Why are the SFL are trying to cashcow in on a new TV deal that is based entirely on the premise (guarantee?) T’rangers are secure in playing in SFL3 – and for the whole season.

Has nobody in authority learned anything from this saga? Do they not realise all this could blow up in their faces?

This is one (rather selfish I admit) reason I'm glad we didn't vote them into our division: what happens if Sevco run out of money before the season ends? Or BDO find that D&P had no right to sell to Green? Or any other number of disasters that could be waiting to happen.

Edit: Good point about the security bond JF. But are the guys doing the approach for the SFL smart enough to realsie this?

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'd like to just add to my previous post. (This is partly pinched from someone else's post on RTC but expresses my feelings exactly):

Why are the SFL are trying to cashcow in on a new TV deal that is based entirely on the premise (guarantee?) T’rangers are secure in playing in SFL3 – and for the whole season.

Has nobody in authority learned anything from this saga? Do they not realise all this could blow up in their faces?

This is one (rather selfish I admit) reason I'm glad we didn't vote them into our division: what happens if Sevco run out of money before the season ends? Or BDO find that D&P had no right to sell to Green? Or any other number of disasters that could be waiting to happen.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the answer to your question is quite obviously No.

Edit: Good point about the security bond JF. But are the guys doing the approach for the SFL smart enough to realsie this?

I think it's entirely reasonable (and A Good Thing) for the SFL to try and exploit this situation by getting higher exposure for the leagues.

There is a risk that Rangers fail, but I can't see how earning additional monies would be a problem. Particularly if it's based along the lines of a base fee for each league, with a fee for the teams involved in being screened (as has been suggested in posts above)

If you decide this commercial deal is not worth pursuing because the risk of a team going bust, then you're effectively writing off every commercial deal on the same basis.

So would I but there is no way they won't walk that division, Alexander in goals and McCulloch alone will ensure that. Hutton will control the games and even those diddies Cole and Naismith will look competent.

I'm not really so sure of that. Having 2-3 guys of proven - though not exceptional - SPL quality is useful but you need a proper team not a bunch of boys and a couple of old pros thrown together. If someone else finds a bit of form they could easily beat newco to win it. Of course there will be play-offs and it's that which probably gives them their real chance. The one thing that gives us all what we hope for is McCoist staying as manager.

I think it's entirely reasonable (and A Good Thing) for the SFL to try and exploit this situation by getting higher exposure for the leagues.

There is a risk that Rangers fail, but I can't see how earning additional monies would be a problem. Particularly if it's based along the lines of a base fee for each league, with a fee for the teams involved in being screened (as has been suggested in posts above)

If you decide this commercial deal is not worth pursuing because the risk of a team going bust, then you're effectively writing off every commercial deal on the same basis.

I take your point - though it depends if they have a fall back plan if things blow up, if they don't then they are at fault - I have to disagree with the last one. The "The Rangers" situation is one where it's very obvious to everyone that we don't know for sure if they will play this season and even if they do we know there are problems that could very well put them out of business.

This isn't just some hypothetical "any club could go out of business" situation that exists all the time and on rare occasions happens. We are in the middle of one of these rare occasions and the story isn't over yet.

However I can see that it might make sense to make approaches now without committing to anything until we know if they get the membership. Even so I'd hope they have a plan for what they'll do if Newco go bust before all the TV games are played: I guess a pay-per-game deal would be safest.

to be honest i dont think they will be there long unless they want to cut there wages by 80% at least.

Edited by jaggybunnet

Looks like the SFA has allowed Newgers to sign up all the players they need up until the beginning of September, then there's an embargo for a year, then they can sign up all the players they want for the next season. A meaningless sanction, so they should have no trouble moving up the divisions. In any case, the reformed leagues for season 13/14 will be "jerry"mandered, so that Newgers will be back in the top tier by season 14/15, if not before.

Edited by Fred Angelo

Looks like the SFA has allowed Newgers to sign up all the players they need up until the beginning of September, then there's an embargo for a year, then they can sign up all the players they want for the next season. A meaningless sanction, so they should have no trouble moving up the divisions. In any case, the reformed leagues for season 13/14 will be "jerry"mandered, so that Newgers will be back in the top tier by season 14/15, if not before.

Not quite. They'll be allowed to sign players in the current transfer window, but not the next two so the squad they have on Sep 1st will have to do them for the 2012/13 season and the first half of the 2013/14 one.

Edited by Duck snort

Not quite. They'll be allowed to sign players in the current transfer window, but not the next two so the squad they have on Sep 1st will have to do them for the 2012/13 season and the first half of the 2013/14 one.

I reckon that effectively the ban means they won't be able to sign players for just ONE transfer window.

If the transfer ban is up on 31st August 2013 it means that they can register players on that date. All deals could easily have been negotiated prior to that date.

Even if the date of 31st August 2013 is included in the ban, the 1st of September falls on a weekend in 2013, so they will actually have until 5pm on Monday 2nd of September to register anyway, so that is why it is possible that the ban is for only for one window.

The ban is just a total joke! :thumbdown:

I reckon that effectively the ban means they won't be able to sign players for just ONE transfer window.

If the transfer ban is up on 31st August 2013 it means that they can register players on that date. All deals could easily have been negotiated prior to that date.

Even if the date of 31st August 2013 is included in the ban, the 1st of September falls on a weekend in 2013, so they will actually have until 5pm on Monday 2nd of September to register anyway, so that is why it is possible that the ban is for only for one window.

The ban is just a total joke! :thumbdown:

Not according to the SFA who said yesterday that the ban will cover 2 transfer windows.