Police Presence

simoncordiner

Why was there so many police at the game? At one point I counted 10 police and 15 stewards at the away end, in which there was 15 fans.

Can anyone from the club tell us why the tournament was so heavily policed and how much the policing cost?

My Celtic fan mate said that they were giving the Celtic fans a full body search at the turnstiles yesterday. A die hard Celtic fan, he said it was the first time he'd ever been searched at a game.

Total nonsense.

Edited by simoncordiner

The amount of police was totally unnecessary but there's no way the club would ask for that many police to be present, lower the number of police, lower the costs. Can only assume the police dictated how many had to be there for the tournament to go ahead.

The police would dictate the number based on an estimate given to them by the club. The club clearly expected the crowds over the weekend to be far bigger than they were, for some reason. As a whole, the tournament was let down by poor organisation and poor scheduling. Whilst our matches were clearly enjoyable, the spectacle of the weekend could have been hugely improved.

Wild guess, they're practising for their olympic duties. Not much else makes any sense

I have a hunch LIB is right; a practice run for Hampden.

This tournament could be so much bigger, it just needs a bit of pre-event organisation. Next year hopefully...

Simply out, the estimates from Celtic and the police were for over 3000 Celtic fans - similar to last year. Hence the police presence. Clearly, that didn't transpire. The police that did attend were familiar with the Celtic support, so I can only assume the searches were OlympIc training, as someone else suggested.

Simply out, the estimates from Celtic and the police were for over 3000 Celtic fans - similar to last year. Hence the police presence. Clearly, that didn't transpire. The police that did attend were familiar with the Celtic support, so I can only assume the searches were OlympIc training, as someone else suggested.

After last year's game, wouldn't the searches be to check for flares?(insert 70s pun) Police weren't to know that only two men and a dug were turning up and that anyone setting off a flare would have stood out!

I was thinking with recent fan power resulting in the new Rangers being consigned to division 3 the club had reckoned on a bigger turnout of fans today to show support for their club. Lance has explained differently.

It remains to be seen if fans will turn out in increased numbers on 11th, not just at Firhill, and if they don't Scottish football is indeed in for straiten times.

Those of us at Firhill today can see some promising things with this team. Well done Thistle.

So... As well as the home support.

There was quite a potential for trouble...

We had a support travelling up from England, section B with union jack waving tendencies and the Irish republican flag wavers of the green brigade.

And folk think there was too many police?

I presume that that question was meant to be rhetorical, but yes of course there were too many police. Dozens of them, horses, top brass with bird shit on their helmets. Must have cost us a fortune - there goes the profits from the tourney. Massively over-coppered.