Does Anybody Feel Sorry For Newco?

JockinOz

There are many things I could be called but a closet Rangers (who?) fan is not one of them, so you can imagine my surprise if not disgust at beginning to feel a little bit sorry for the once mighty cheating h*ns! I know it could be argued that they won 9 titles by cheating, although I think that is stretching it a bit and the SPL demanding a share of TV rights is incredible! Going bust, demoted to division 3 (possibly), no Europe for a mimimum of 3 years and not allowed to sign players, plus the financial fines, seems to me like a fair punishment.

Now I wouldn't want folk to get the wrong idea, I do find the situation amusing and I am delighted that they are in Division 3(possibly), but the antics of the SPL/SFA have left feeling of something is not right. I don't really think there is any wish to maintain credibility, the guys in charge are looking after their paypackets. Something still stinks!

How come if the signing ban is enforced the "teamformerlyknownasRangers" can sign Kenny Black, Craig Beattie and best of all Robbie "never on a Saturday" Savage"?

Initially I felt a bit sorry for some of the staff who stood to lose their jobs e.g. the ticket collectors, cleaners, catering staff etc. At one point I even felt a bit sorry for Ally McCoist, someone I have always had a bit of time and respect for, as he aged visibly and became reduced to spouting the kind of deluded, desperate rants of man with a gun to his head.

But then the football authorities began agitating for Newco to start in the SPL as if nothing had happened, followed by the same authorities trying to strong arm the SFL into admitting them into their top division. As we now know, however, that didn't happen. But as soon as I thought that some sort of parity had been achieved, they are linked with the signing of three SPL players - one of whom has signed already and it looks likely that others will follow. Have they forgotten already how they ended up in SFL3 in the first place?!

And to top it off, I watched their plucky victory over Brechin City on TV this afternoon with their moronic, Union Jack-waving support spouting the same toxic concoction of arrogance, triumphalism and raw hatred from the sidelines (one particular "highlight" was a ditty about "taigs shagging the weans"; what thoroughly lovely people).

So, to answer the original question: no, I don't really feel very sorry for them at all. I do, however, feel sorry for the supporters of the teams they will be playing this forthcoming season who have previously been sheltered from their bigoted tripe.

Actually, the SFL has an almost unique prospect of being able to completely eradicate "party songs" within football grounds this season. A simple 1 point penalty for any recorded incidents could make the 3rd division much more interesting without anyone having to worry about jeapordising large TV deals.

I suggested the same thing around the time that the offensive behaviour bill was being put through parliament. The most effective way of stopping bigoted singing is a points deduction. Simple. Government legislation was unnecessary, because the body in charge of the game already had it in its power to clamp down on offensive behaviour. However, that was always about as likely to happen as a Hungarian sheep successfully flying the world's first solar powered aeroplane to Japan.

Edited by Guy Incognito

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can perhaps be accused of Tom Hughes mentality but drawing sevco at Ibrox today would be cracking. I'm sure we could anticipate a large crowd while "loyalty" is still top of the agenda with that lot. OK it would be a very winnable tie and morale boosting for the troops but the bottom line imo would be the financial aspect. It is after all low priority competition and possibly a hindrance as well.

I suppose I'm contradicting myself when saying the other ideal outcome would be meeting sevco in the final. As a one off it would bring significantly more interest to this normally silly competition. That would of course be another money spinner tho' I got a feeling that the "loyalty" aspect of watching sevco will be well on the wane by then.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

rangers are in the other side of the draw cos they replaced dundee,

NORTH/EAST SECTION (8 Teams)

ARBROATH

COWDENBEATH

EAST FIFE

FALKIRK

FORFAR ATHLETIC

MONTROSE

RAITH ROVERS

RANGERS

SOUTH/WEST SECTION (8 Teams)

AIRDRIE UNITED

ANNAN ATHLETIC

EAST STIRLINGSHIRE

MORTON

PARTICK THISTLE

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH

QUEEN’S PARK

STENHOUSEMUIR

Was driving back from up North earlier & came across the Sevco game on Radio Scotland about 2.30pm!

I didn't catch all of it but the reporter asked about the possible stripping of titles and the Green character said it was a complex case and he understood about other clubs being unhappy with things including the money side of things but then added 'if you dont pay players the money then they'll leave!'

Errr, no s@@t Sherlock and if they'd left...

Does anyone believe anything that Green says? This BBC report defies belief - http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19040706

"He was critical of the decision to deny the club a place in the top flight.

"Some of it has been driven by bigotry, some of its been driven by jealousy and some of its been driven by all the wrong motives," he said.

"On Saturday, Green also claimed that the olcdo's rivals, Celtic, "have had three different companies in their lifespan", although Companies House records state that the Parkhead club has had the same incorporation number since 1897."

Nothing changes!

There was no sign of Edu or Kerkar at Brechin so, presumably, they have left too. There were reports that Goian did not want to play in the 3rd division. Perhaps, he played as a trialist as Sevco could not fill the bench.

Edited by kni

rangers are in the other side of the draw cos they replaced dundee,

NORTH/EAST SECTION (8 Teams)

ARBROATH

COWDENBEATH

EAST FIFE

FALKIRK

FORFAR ATHLETIC

MONTROSE

RAITH ROVERS

RANGERS

SOUTH/WEST SECTION (8 Teams)

AIRDRIE UNITED

ANNAN ATHLETIC

EAST STIRLINGSHIRE

MORTON

PARTICK THISTLE

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH

QUEEN’S PARK

STENHOUSEMUIR

A trip to Dumfriesshire would be my preference if we are drawn away.

for a midweek game? I prefer a home tie

At this time of year, midweek is fine. I would prefer a home tie too but not keen on the away alternatives. An away tie at Queens Park would be fine too. :)

Edited by kni

Absolutely not, because unfortunately it is still ta combination of breathtaking arrogance and outright bigotry that surrounds the Rangers. As usual it will be airbrushed as being representative of a "tiny minority of Rangers fans", its amazing how this tiny minority posess loud voices that drown out the sensible majority. Put quite simply if a section of Jag's supporters were engaged in sectarian, racist or xenophobic chanting I would expect their fellow Thistle fans not to simply quetly sit around and say or do nothing. However, we are asked to believe that this is exactly the scenario that exists with Rangers.

Throughout this saga not one voice has been heard at Castle Greyskull welcoming the opportunity of a fresh start or advocating leaving behind the sectarian baggage that followed Rangers around for most of their 140 year history.

From that one can only assume that Green and co. are entirely happy with being the public face of sectarianism and religous hate in Scotland. Certainly, his recent pronouncements which apparently have been designed to appeal to the less enlightened amonst the Ibrox faithful would seem to indicate that the manager and himself are singing from the same hymbook.

Absolutely not, because unfortunately it is still ta combination of breathtaking arrogance and outright bigotry that surrounds the Rangers. As usual it will be airbrushed as being representative of a "tiny minority of Rangers fans", its amazing how this tiny minority posess loud voices that drown out the sensible majority. Put quite simply if a section of Jag's supporters were engaged in sectarian, racist or xenophobic chanting I would expect their fellow Thistle fans not to simply quetly sit around and say or do nothing. However, we are asked to believe that this is exactly the scenario that exists with Rangers.

Throughout this saga not one voice has been heard at Castle Greyskull welcoming the opportunity of a fresh start or advocating leaving behind the sectarian baggage that followed Rangers around for most of their 140 year history.

From that one can only assume that Green and co. are entirely happy with being the public face of sectarianism and religous hate in Scotland. Certainly, his recent pronouncements which apparently have been designed to appeal to the less enlightened amonst the Ibrox faithful would seem to indicate that the manager and himself are singing from the same hymbook.

If this forum had thumbs up options I would give this post 1,000 thumbs up. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: etc.

Clyde and Alloa should be docked 25 points each. Both clubs contrived to charge me £2.50 for a roll & sausage whereas a roll in sausage and bacon in the home end is £1,50.

This is far worse than EBTs :thumbdown:

Indeed. Extra Bacon on Toast should always be declared to the relevant catering authorities. Failure to do so......

Initially I felt a bit sorry for some of the staff who stood to lose their jobs

I'm sure Chucky Green Bear has been quoted recently that the 200+ army of nonplaying staff will not be cut.

Keep driving them headlong into oblivion, who cares about putting the brakes on, sooner the better.

Actually, I now DO feel sorry for newco, now that I've been made aware that their current status has been brought about by the bigotry-driven behaviour of the other Scottish clubs. Clubs, it has to be said, who do not operate under the same financial prudence as newco, and have, as a consequnce, let themselves get into debt.