Games You Wished You'd Seen

Big Dave

I would say the draw against Rangers a couple of years ago, but that was when I was a lapsed fan so I won't count it. Recently, I missed both of the 5-0 wins last season, with the one at Queen of the South being particularly galling because I decided not to go about an hour before the train was due to leave. I was gutted when I saw the score coming through!

But unfortunately missed! Only 4 for me. 1971, too young, Metz away, couldn't afford it. St Mirren, Scottish cup tie at Love St, 3-1 I think. And Celtic at Hampden when they were sharing with Queens.

Think I'm lucky enough to have been at all the other memorable ones.

Was at 2 of those (St Mirren and Cellic..what a night that was), would include the League Cup final in my list of 'wish I was there' games and ad the Peterheid play off final. The cup game at Porkheid where it went to a marathon penalty shoot out is another I wish I'd been at.

the cup tie at love street was 4-1. it was 0-0 5 mins to half time we went in 2-0 up. i had the jags at 9to1 for win.

really enjoyed that

The one when Gerry McCoy ran riot? Pretty sure that was 3-1, then we drew at home with Hearts and lost the replay 2-0 iirc

Edited by Steven H

Dunno, but it was a cup replay at Love Street and pretty sure McCoy got a double. I thought the game at Firhill v Hearts was 0-0 but could be mixing that up with the first tie against St Mirren that you mentioned.

He certainly did, and John Mitchell got the other. I'll never forget the 3rd, a spectacular flying header, though we were in the St Mirren end! We went with a St Mirren fan pal, didn't really know where we were going, paid to get in thinking we were able to get to the away end, or at least a neutral place, and we ended up there..... Stupid tw*t. We had the last laugh but had to cover our scarves. An interesting experience but it was a joy to see the away end dance. We were 2nd bottom of a division below St Mirren too, and they'd won it only 2 seasons earlier, but Lambie had recently arrived so better days were coming.

The next round saw a less pleasant 2-0 defeat at Tynecastle. We were there but the team might as well not have bothered. Thought we were on for a replay at one point but then John Colquhoun did us in. Oh well.

An unrealised ambition is to see us win after being 2 goals down. We did that at Fir Park once, but I wasn't there. Saw a 3-3 v Clyde at Firhill once though, after being 3 down.

I was at Metz though.

Edited by beep0608

Love St the day we clinched back-to-back promotions. I had to choose between that game and Airdrie the week before: I chose Airdrie as I'd have loved us to win the league there. The draw meant it happened the next week. I was getting 2 minutely updates from Paisley and went out and got utterly steamboats after the final whistle.

Oh, and Peterhead would've been right up there on my wish-I'd-been-there list.

Finally, all the games where we've had results against either of the Neanderthal communities that I've missed.

Some "friends" convinced me to go with them to watch Motherwell play Hearts at Tynecastle as we'd all been at Firhlll the week before.

Watched an absolutely dire 1-0 win for Hearts in cold drizzle before heading back to the car. Turned on the radio to catch the result of what had been my suggestion for attendace.

Thistle 6 Dundee 3

Gutted does not even come close!

Missed all of the inter toto cup campaign. No idea why I would have missed that!

The pre season tour of Ireland.

The Hampden Celtic game.

Still not fussed about missing Peterhead. It was a disgraceful era in our history, managed. By a ****** clown, and I still find looking at the pictures of the pitch invasion slightly weird as we were effectively lording DC as a hero for finishing 4th.

2v1 win at Dens Park in the cup when Gerry Britton scored one of the greatest goals in the cup and Andy Gibson scored a last minute winner.

1v0 win in Inverness in the cup when Paterson scored that peach of a freekick.

The 2v0 win at Love Street when we won the First division.

1v1 cup draw at Ibrox in 2008.

11-1 V Albion Rovers?

Bobby Law scored 1.

10/08/1993

I missed that one too. "It'll be the usual scraping through in a total bore of a game", I thought to myselt

Still, it was almost worth missing the game for having the pleasure of the news being broken to me by Sir Trevor MacDonald later that evening when he announced to the nation,"Supporters of Albion Rovers may wish to look away now". :lol:

Almost sure it was Albion Rovers we played that night.

Roddy Grant and Paul kinaird ran riot.Sorry if I'm wrong.

It was Albion Rovers.

You might have thought Rovers would have been able to contain Grant and Kinnaird. They must be used to handling riots in Coatbridge.

Edited by Allan Heron

If it is a Thistle game, then as others have said, Peterhead is the one I would have liked to have been at and missed. In a strangely Thistle sort of way, I would like to have been able to say that I was at Tannadice for "that game".

Expanding it a bit. Madrid 7 Frankfurt 3 in the European Cup final at Hampden would have been great to have on the list.

Still a chance to get a Rio derby in at some point. And maybe also, the 2014 World Cup Final ..... Scotland 4 Brazil 3 after extra time.