Booing

CUMBERNAULD JAG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not overly surprised it happened, especially with the game being at Easter Road (and that is in no way condoning it).

What is staggering to me though, is that the guy was playing SPL football last season and never got near the squad. Now he has moved to Sevco he is suddenly good enough to play for his country. I cannot see the logic there at all.

Not overly surprised it happened, especially with the game being at Easter Road (and that is in no way condoning it).

What is staggering to me though, is that the guy was playing SPL football last season and never got near the squad. Now he has moved to Sevco he is suddenly good enough to play for his country. I cannot see the logic there at all.

Ultimately I have to agree.

I think you have to seriously question Levein's judgement here, the pressure is obviously getting to him.

I think a lot of tartan army diehards are now getting to the point where they are fed up paying good money to support the national team when, even when we have a good group, we still can't even manage a play off place.

I definitely think we should have managed to get to the play-offs in our last campaign - apart from Spain there was no threat there. Only taking one point from 6 against the Czechs was a disgrace, coupled with the failure to beat Lithuania in the opening game and that near-disastrous night against against Liechtenstein when we needed 8 minutes of injury time just to beat them.

He is a good top 6 SPL manager but ultimately I think this job is too big for him - I'd like to see Gordon Strachan given a shot at it, as I can't think of anyone else who is available right now.

It's happened in the not too distant past, notably to our most talented midfielder of the 90s Gary McAllister...

Yeh, I was at that game. V. Czech Republic(?) at Parkhead (??) if memory serves. I have never booed a Scotland or Thistle player in my life BUT McAllister was totally gash that night....

EDIT: sorry, realised I'd missed Collins Out's post above - that does kind of sum it up.

Edited by Watson Towers

Ultimately I have to agree.

I think you have to seriously question Levein's judgement here, the pressure is obviously getting to him.

I think a lot of tartan army diehards are now getting to the point where they are fed up paying good money to support the national team when, even when we have a good group, we still can't even manage a play off place.

I definitely think we should have managed to get to the play-offs in our last campaign - apart from Spain there was no threat there. Only taking one point from 6 against the Czechs was a disgrace, coupled with the failure to beat Lithuania in the opening game and that near-disastrous night against against Liechtenstein when we needed 8 minutes of injury time just to beat them.

He is a good top 6 SPL manager but ultimately I think this job is too big for him - I'd like to see Gordon Strachan given a shot at it, as I can't think of anyone else who is available right now.

^^All of this.^^

Levein is beyond incompetent when it comes to Scotland. Time he was leavin .....

Even Jobby couldn't do worse!

Black is a horrible snarling wee barstward of a man, who would have booed himself onto the park if he was in the stands.

Anyway, the boos should have been for the manager, I use the term loosely, how can you play a guy who plays at the fourth level of football in this country when you have ignored him when he previously played at the top level for at least the previous 5 years.

There are at least 6 midfielders playing in the SPL who are better and were overlooked who Black is not fit to polish their boots. I wouldn't have Black at Firhill, and certainly not in place of Bannigan, Welsh, Rowson, Murray or Paton. Christ I've just names 5 players better than Black in our own team.

Anyway saying that booing our own players is just wrong. As Fred McAuley said " Feckin Boooooo"

Anyway, the boos should have been for the manager,

You'd think this is why most people were belligerent. I suppose everyone could be singing "Levein get tae f**k" for the whole game, but this was one way of complaining about the managers specific choice in this matter. Not saying it's right or wrong, but a lot of people are clearly frustrated at an unintelligible decision.

Kinda sums up the mentality of too many a 'supposed' football supporters in this country.

What exactly the lad was chastised for what could be put down to many of the reasons already mentioned.

I watched the game offshore in a communal tv lounge to hear an Aberdeen fan say, "it's because he a f#*#*#*g H*n, he deserves it" another because he's an ex Jambo, etc. What the f**k is that all about other than lonely brain cells??

Regardless of whether you agree with Levein picking him , another issue altogether, (I wonder if anyone can work out his decision making), no-one contradicts himself more!

But the point is, the lad was wearing the Dark Blue of Scotland, his debut FFS, how proud should he have felt? his family?

There's been plenty players through the years been given crap in the same vein, it's not new, but I genuinely feel for the guy.

There's one or two of players out there who have decided they are 'Not Playing" for their country for one reason or another, what the hell has Ian Black done to deserve this?

Shame on everyone who has that sh*$^y attitude, to boo the guy. Whatever the reason. Pathetic.

Even the combined talents of Frasier Crane and Sigmund Freud would struggle to achieve that (ignoring for a moment that one is a fictional TV character and the other long since deceased).

A top post though, and one which pretty much sums up my feelings. If folk are incapable, or unwilling, to put club loyalties to one side when watching the national team then don't bother going, just stick to club football instead. I cannae stand Celtic or Rangers but when I go to watch Scotland I go as a fan of the Scotland team, not a hater of Celtic and Rangers. Thus, the usually odious likes of Kris Boyd, Scott Brown, Barry Ferguson and Paul Hartley have, in recent years, received my unwavering loyalty and support for two hours every month or so. I have no difficulty doing this.

Black is easily the equal of those men named above in terms of odiousness; at least, on the football park he is. What is like off it I have no idea but I imagine he is a young guy who was thrilled to be called up by his country and whose friends and family were equally thrilled for him. But then, as he is about to make his bow for his country, he receives the kind of welcome usually reserved for paedophiles.

The fact that he shouldn't have been in the squad, IMHO, is irrelevant. In a lot of people's eyes neither should Danny Fox or Matt Gilks, albeit for a different reason; however, both of those players rightly received the respect any player representing Scotland deserves. If people have an issue with Black's inclusion then take it up with Craig Levein, don't punish the player. I could almost have understood the reception Black got if we had been getting beat, but we were winning the match 3-1!

Gary Mac took abuse at Parkhead for the worst perfomance ever by anyone in a Scotland jersey.

You obviously missed the USA friendly from a couple of months ago then. There were about half a dozen performers that night who were much worse than Gary Mac's at Parkhead that night!

As Dark Passenger points out it has happened before. Brian McClair took dogs abuse at a match at Ibrox. Also remember a game against Rep of Ireland at Hampden where every gers player for scotland got booed and not just by the rep of ireland fans.

Gary Mac took awful abuse as a result of THAT penalty miss in 96.

I remember nearly having a punch up with one of our own fans who booed Jamie Buchan as he was about to come on as a sub for us once. It's beyond me the way some people behave towards players of their own club/country.

I remember us playing them back in the Berti Vogts era - a dismal 2-0 defeat on a dreich night (doesn't that just symbolise the German's reign completely?). However, I don't remember Rangers players in particular being singled out for treatment, Lenny. I do remember Rangers players being booed by Ireland fans at Lansdowne Road when we played the Irish a couple of years early under Craig Brown. Is it perhaps that game you are thinking of?

The treatment of Gary Mac was, in many respects, worse than what Black got. Gary McAllister was one of the best Scottish players of his generation. Okay, he was rubbish that night against the Czechs (almost everything he tried blew up in his face) but he had only recently started playing again, having been out with a long term injury that caused him to miss the World Cup in '98. Off the field - and the booers wouldn't have been aware of this at the time - his wife was seriously ill with cancer, which she eventually died from. All things considered, I am not surprised he chucked it but it was Scotland's loss: two years after he quit international football he helped Liverpool win the UEFA Cup, while Scotland failed to qualify for both Euro 200 and WC 2002.

It's down to Levein selecting a player who was not good enough to play for Scotland last season when playing in the SPL, but is now even though he will be playing in in the third division for at least one season. This is a terrible decision because after he has been playing against the likes of Clyde, Peterhead and Elgin for more than a month or two he will be useless against international opposition. I can't see any forward thinking or planning based on 'footballing reasons' with his selection. He was clearly chosen to attempt to get Rangers back on the SFA's side, despite Levein's well documented stance against simply selecting Old Firm players because of the club they play for.

Still no reason to boo one of your own players, shame on the so called super tartan Army!!

Ffs get a grip, we have booed many jags players over the years, so why stick up for this little thug? I remember us applauding when one of our own, John Murray, got sent off in a game

Who was John Murray, and what was the game in question?

And Guy summarised it succinctly, in my view.

Booing Ian Black on his Scotland debut was completely unacceptable, whatever the circumstances.

And as for fredthecheesecloth, take a listen to what happened at Firhill last season v Livingston if you are looking for contenders for worst fans in the world.

It's not all gloom on this. many h u n s have said they won't be back to support scotland after this. That's gotta be good....

It will be interesting to see how many of them stick to this 'principled' stance should Scotland be in with a shout of qualifying. I suspect their glory-hunting tendencies will come to the fore and their latest bout of perma-rage will quickly be forgotten.

It's not all gloom on this. many h u n s have said they won't be back to support scotland after this. That's gotta be good....

The group of friends I go to Scotland games with include 2 Thistle fans, 2 Rangers fans, a Celtic fan and an Airdrie fan (since we're all from Glasgow that's hardly surprising). Club allegiances are left for club football, as I believe they should be. So no I wouldn't be saying that it's good that Rangers fans decide not to follow Scotland.

The group of friends I go to Scotland games with include 2 Thistle fans, 2 Rangers fans, a Celtic fan and an Airdrie fan (since we're all from Glasgow that's hardly surprising). Club allegiances are left for club football, as I believe they should be. So no I wouldn't be saying that it's good that Rangers fans decide not to follow Scotland.

lighten up fella