Matchday Posters

MerryHell

Okay, so we produced a poster for Sell Out Saturday and on the back of that I decided to produce one for the Dumbarton game as well.

My thinking in making these was to try and create an interest/awarwness and get more people along to the games. We can only tell people we know about Thistle, and so I thought the idea of having a poster that we could download, print and display wherever would enable us to reach others we might not have been able to. People like Toaster were actively looking for a game to go to - he had the wherewithal to look online, but others won't/can't and so we have try and get to them in other ways.

This obviously depends on enough of us being willing/able to do this. So what I'm asking here I guess is do people think this is a good idea? What would you do differently that would make you more interested in getting involved? I'm thick skinned and can take criticism on the chin so really anything goes.

People didn't like the Dumbarton one because they feel it sets us up for a fall, puts pressure on the team or because we can only boast about our record come the end of the season. I'm not presenting myself as an expert in any of this, so any comments on positively selling something to neutrals/lapsed fans would be welcome.

Anyway I'll leave it at that for now...

Edited by MerryHell

Usually like the videos/posters the club produce, not so sure on this one. It should be remembered 3 of the victories were against lower league teams, it's a great start & much welcomed but I'm uncomfortable with it being the headline on a poster. Increases pressure on the players (possibly) & could be seen as over confidence by our opponents giving them extra confidence/determination.

Thanks for the comments - so would something like 'Here comes 'The Sons''' have been better or is this too tabloid?

I think part of the problem is that these aren't really designed with 'people like us' in mind. I'm guessing most on here will either be season ticket holders, nomads or people likely to have gone to the game anyway. They are really designed to attract people that would otherwise have done something else on a Saturday afternoon.

I guess though, to get people involved in the 'selling' of it, they have to like it first.

I think you did a good job with it.

To the outside observer, you've set out all the points that make this a good game to go along to supporting the Jags.

It's only the converted who'll shudder at such optimism, and as you say, they're all either already going or there-in-spirit Nomads.

To the outside observer, you've set out all the points that make this a good game to go along to supporting the Jags.

It's only the converted who'll shudder at such optimism, and as you say, they're all either already going or there-in-spirit Nomads.

This is my point of view as well. The poster isn't saying "We're going to pump Dumbarton!", it's simply stating facts. I'd be surprised if Jackie didn't make reference to our good run to the players anyway. The important thing is that it sells the game to the non-hardcore fan, and saying "five wins from five" is about a good a selling point as we're likely to get. I think the poster's perfect.

It's great it tells you under 16s are free, but why not tell people how much an adult and a concession is?

Don't think you need the website on there, that's why people have google and it would be easy enough to find.

i also don't like that shade of red!

I also think text should be kept to a minimum this one is not too bad but the sell out Saturday poster had far too much text.

I do like the idea of the posters, it's nice to do our bit, but what are the club doing to raise awareness of our games and the fact that under 16s are free?

Edited by little_miss_jag

Okay - as Potty Trained said above I won't please all of the people all of the time. I can see however that previous efforts like the 'Glasgows Big Game' or whatever it was a couple of seasons ago vs Dundee, wasn't quite as triumphant in it's message, but still managed to sell the game.

The hard bit is actually going to be putting these to use. Are there people willing to take these and ask at their local pub/club/newsagent if they can display them? If not, what is stopping you? Is it the downloading and printing? If I was to plan ahead and have a quantity of these at the desk outside the Aitken Suite on matchdays for the next home game, would people take them from there? I don't make any judgements on those that aren't interested for whatever reason - I just want to make it as easy as possible for those that are interested.

As far as I can see, we've pretty much got this side of the river to ourselves - I know there might be a reluctance to do this if you live in Ibrox or somewhere like that, and its pretty pointless if you live in Edinburgh or wherever, but we've plenty of opportunity in other areas of the city.

I'm honestly not trying to pursue this for any other reason than to try and help the club I support by hopefully getting a couple more bums on seats.

It's great it tells you under 16s are free, but why not tell people how much an adult and a concession is?

Don't think you need the website on there, that's why people have google and it would be easy enough to find.

i also don't like that shade of red!

I also think text should be kept to a minimum this one is not too bad but the sell out Saturday poster had far too much text.

I do like the idea of the posters, it's nice to do our bit, but what are the club doing to raise awareness of our games and the fact that under 16s are free?

Thanks lmj - it was suggested to me when producing the Sell Out Saturday posters that pricing should be left off, apart from the kids go free.

I agree with you re: the text - and putting pricing and what constitutes a concession would only add to the amount of text on the poster. The website is there to provide all this information if people want to find out. I know it's pretty unusual to be advertising an event, but not show the ticket cost, but I can also see the logic.

As to your last question, the simple answer is that I don't know. I am just doing this as a fan, not as part of onethistle or the club (for the record, I support both), so i'm not involved in any discussions on this front. The fact that the 'How Good a Start' article appeared online with the same photo, the same message and around the same time as my poster is complete and utter coincedence. Honestly. What I would say though is that (as far as I understand) the club have a very small amount of staffing resource and relay greatly on volunteers and this is no different.

The red will look different on every monitor it's displayed on and every printer it prints on - i can't do anything about that!

I like the poster. It's good to have positivity and a feel good factor. You see Glasgow Rugby highlighting their successes so why can't we? Ignore the doom mongers. People talk about advertising the game and getting more people along. The posters are good and have been created to download. Then it's time for fans to download them and put them up in their local pub, place of work, kids school, shop etc and advertise the game. It's the simplest, cheapest and probably most effective way of getting people along. People like to see a winning team.

Don't mention the price for adults, that will put anyone thinking about going along for the hell of it cause they have nothing to do right off. I don't want to turn this thread into one about pricing but every 1st Division ground is taking the piss with their prices.

It's the same everywhere (in the UK) mate. Tranmere fan living downstairs from me told me he doesn't make many games these days as it's £20.50 for a typical game. The stadium is at most a ten minute walk away, so it's not like it is the cost of transport, food, etc. I thought about going to a Derby County game one Saturday afternoon when I lived near Nottingham, looked up the prices and saw it was £29 to see them play one of the Sheffield teams. There are some clubs that do good offers (I'm sure someone on here used to go on about Bolton being good at this) but these are usually one-off games.

When I was working in the retail trade giving prices were OK but it was even better if you gave comparison prices.Some people might think it would be a bit cheeky but how about a poster with - 1 adult and 2 children £17.00 - 1 Adult and 2 children at other Glasgow Grounds, with one price in Blue and the other in Green!