Justin From Hamilton

Dug1e

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought muirhead was brilliant yesterday. Ok his distribution isn't great but he had May in his pocket all game. A top signing by jackie so far.....

I think his distribution is excellent.

I agree with Santana. A great signing, who has shown himself more than capable of setting up attacks from the back, usually through his accurate passing.

Edited by Fearchar

I see Falkirk lost at home to Livingston. Both teams had a player ordered off with Livi being a man down for much of the 2nd half so a particularly good 3 pts for them. Not too sure how if at all this result will affect us but gut feeling tells me Falkirk should be more of a threat to us so I sense it's a welcome result.

We should not get carried away. 3 of our 4 league games have been at home - 2 against the bottom sides in the division.

I take your point and it is perfectly valid; however IMO our most convincing performance to date was against Dunfermline away; and again IMO we played them off the park a point I think even Fat Jim conceded. So it's perfectly acceptable to be hopeful without getting to the Sevco level of arrogance.

I think a lot of us predicted that we would bounce back pretty emphatically from the cup defeat but, for the first half hour of the game on Saturday, we continued with the lacklustre performance from Tuesday. Our passing and, in particular, our movement was completely off, barring one or two neat exchanges. As always, it's vitally important to get the first goal in league games as, on most occasions, you go onto win - or at least not lose; had Hamilton managed to get it then it would have been a totally different game.

We were hampered in the first half hour as Doolan picked up his knock in the very first action of the game when he went through on goal and the Hamilton defender landed on him after making a tackle. That limited his mobility and, as such, the space that he normally creates for the likes of Lawless and Erskine wasn't as available. Paton was off-the-boil in the first half too with him often misplacing passes and this also contributed to a pretty forgettable 45 minutes on our behalf. That said, after watching the highlights, we created more chances in the first half than I seem to remember.

Getting the goal when we did certainly helped settle us in the second half. I know his goal wasn't the greatest example of this but Welsh is such a threat from set-pieces, something I don't think many teams are wise to yet; I've not seen a Thistle player as good at attacking the ball as him for a long time. Something else I've not seen for a good while is someone who can deliver a good cross from corners; the ball from Lawless was just begging to be put away.

At the time, I thought our second goal was a foul and was surprised to see the goal stand; however, upon seeing it again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it was a good call by the referee, who I thought actually had a very decent game apart from a blatant push on Welsh in the first half for which he awarded Hamilton a foul.

Lawless has been a terrific signing so far and, like I said a few weeks ago, the fact we've not missed Paul Cairney is testament to his performances of late. He's always alert in and around the box and the way he finds space in between the opponents defence and midfield is vital to the way we play. He has quickly became a very important player for us.

Like many, I feared the worst when Doolan went off but Stevie Craig led the line excellently and the fourth goal was typical of him; I think he's going to be a very astute piece of business by Jackie. His arrival may also light a fire under McGuigan and Christie, who played well when he came off the bench.

Paton improved greatly in the second half and was back to his usual terrier-like performance. He got the sponsors Man of the Match which I wouldn't grudge him but, for me, it was big Muirhead who was outstanding throughout the whole 90 minutes. He has effortlessly made the step up from the Third Division, for which Archie can take a lot of the credit. He's just turned 22! Definitely got a big future.

The return of Shug was also integral, he is the glue that keeps us together; I only wish we'd signed him a couple of years ago. If we'd had him in the season where we finished second behind St Johnstone, I think we would have won it - a midfield of Harkins, Rowson and Shug would have gave me a full-blown rager.

It wasn't our best performance but we still scored four goals, conceded none and looked relatively comfortable. We've been fortunate to have three of our first four league games at home - the real test will be heading to Livi, Raith and Morton in the coming weeks, places where we have struggled in recent years.

Cannot disagree with you. This is the reason I will be heading along to the Ramsden cup game. hopefully we will spur the lads on to beating the Rovers and sowing the seed of doubt in thier head. Then we might have an advantage when we go visiting.

As for Welshys goal in the first half, I agree that it was great to see him attack the ball. If we had not scored I feared Cuthbert was going to do it again. the cross came over and a defender flicked it goalwards, it hit the underside of the bar and Cuthbert had an absolutely sensational reaction save but his defence never coped with Welsh.

if that had stayed out I think Cuthbert would have haunted us all season