Well Done Danny!

Lindau

Absolutely brilliant - delighted for them.

St. Mirren's achievements should serve as a real incentive to everyone involved with PTFC.

It's a great example of what we could achieve if we start to run the club well - St. Mirren aren't a bigger club than us but they are an established SPL team who have just won a national cup competition.

If we get our house in order there's no reason why we couldn't aspire to these things as well.

• Like 2

Danny Lennon scored "my" first Thistle goal- against Queens at Hampden. Chuffed for him. Won't get the chance to manage Thistle though- as Archie will be here in 20 years having presided over Thistle's glory years....

Incidently, Charlie Adam at the end " everyone wants to see the Old Firm in the cup final"- Twat

Well done Danny and his Saints. Decent game with a good crowd. Hope they enjoy their evening and it was nice that it was ugly sister free.

Scottish football dieing? Nah, the OF and their hordes just do their best at times ;)

FTOF!

Absolutely brilliant - delighted for them.

St. Mirren's achievements should serve as a real incentive to everyone involved with PTFC.

It's a great example of what we could achieve if we start to run the club well - St. Mirren aren't a bigger club than us but they are an established SPL team who have just won a national cup competition.

If we get our house in order there's no reason why we couldn't aspire to these things as well.

They also have a very good youth set up which will see them alright in the future.

No money in Scottish football these days so the youth set ups are important for the future of all clubs and what success they achieve in the future.

This is where Thistle need to be competing well at and matching the other set ups.

It is a shame that winning the league cup doesn't count for European qualification any more, St. Mirren deserve that imo, and the league cup is devalued without that being part of the prize. I remember reading an old newspaper report that that was introduced especially for us after the 1971 final, requiring the SFA to petition UEFA for permission to be allowed to give a UEFA cup place to the league cup winner - although I can't see any better sources for that, so it could be bollocks. Wikipedia says the European place got taken away from the Scottish League Cup back in 1995, but that the English League Cup winner still gets a place in Europe, so removing it couldn't have been purely a UEFA decision. And I think it would be better if European places went to cup winners, not to runners up like in the Scottish Cup.

The Hampden pitch surface looked immaculate, likely played a big part in the quality of that game. But that got me thinking that Queen's Park have played virtually the same amount of games as we have (not counting a few extra for Celtic reserves), so how can that be? Are they or the SFA pouring money into Hampden on groundwork and continuous returfing? If not, then what are they doing that can't be done at Firhill? It's not like being a whole 2 miles further south moves them into some balmy grass growing tropical weather paradise.

It is a shame that winning the league cup doesn't count for European qualification any more, St. Mirren deserve that imo, and the league cup is devalued without that being part of the prize. I remember reading an old newspaper report that that was introduced especially for us after the 1971 final, requiring the SFA to petition UEFA for permission to be allowed to give a UEFA cup place to the league cup winner - although I can't see any better sources for that, so it could be bollocks. Wikipedia says the European place got taken away from the Scottish League Cup back in 1995, but that the English League Cup winner still gets a place in Europe, so removing it couldn't have been purely a UEFA decision. And I think it would be better if European places went to cup winners, not to runners up like in the Scottish Cup.

Definitely right on that. I also remember the article.

Thought locke had already been appointed permanently?

Delighted for super dan, one of my all time favourite jags, good on you danny.

Hertz manager contracts aren't worth the Lithuanian IOUs they're written on ;)

Probably a sensible appointment by Hertz, as Locke has worked with the first team and the younger players. Just a bad start that may cloud the fans judgement of him.

Well done again to Danny and his Skunks :D

Not sure how much truth is in that, but - certainly in the '60s, and, I'm fairly sure, into the '70s - it was known as the 'Inter Cities Fairs Cup, or something very like that. The idea was that only so many teams from the same city could enter it, and I think that might've related to the number of teams gaining automatic qualification for the other two big Euro competitions of the day too, by which I mean that if you already had more than one team in the other two then they were looking for a club from a different city / town from your country for the ICFC. So, assuming the Tims were in the European Cup, and sevco's predecessor outfit was in the Cup Winners' Cup, then UEFA might've been a bit fidgety about a third Glasgow club competing, albeit in their ICF Cup.

If it's true that the SFA had to intervene on our behalf, then it's likely that they would've cited our excellent league position of that season as strong supporting evidence of why we should be admitted to the competition. A lot of guesswork there, of course, but would've made sense.

Not sure how much truth is in that, but - certainly in the '60s, and, I'm fairly sure, into the '70s - it was known as the 'Inter Cities Fairs Cup, or something very like that. The idea was that only so many teams from the same city could enter it, and I think that might've related to the number of teams gaining automatic qualification for the other two big Euro competitions of the day too, by which I mean that if you already had more than one team in the other two then they were looking for a club from a different city / town from your country for the ICFC. So, assuming the Tims were in the European Cup, and sevco's predecessor outfit was in the Cup Winners' Cup, then UEFA might've been a bit fidgety about a third Glasgow club competing, albeit in their ICF Cup.

If it's true that the SFA had to intervene on our behalf, then it's likely that they would've cited our excellent league position of that season as strong supporting evidence of why we should be admitted to the competition. A lot of guesswork there, of course, but would've made sense.

You might be right about the argument used to get us into the UEFA Cup, but there's no doubt that the SFA had to make a special request for us to get in (it seemed to be approved quickly).