Deal For Dunfermline Fans

ian_mac

If SPL, in particular and Scottish football in general is serious about "redistribution of wealth", then surely this is the perfect situation for them all to give some of their takings from the weekend. That would surely resolve Dunfermlines immediate problem of paying HMRC.There is of course the other argument that they shouldn't have been spending the tax and ni that was due to the government, which effectively amounts to stealing.

That seems a tad unfair. Raith Rovers made the deal perfectly clear, and not enough Pars fans got involved, simple. When you normally go an away game, your money stays with the host club, as happened to Raith fans who went to East End Park. So, not a rip-off, but clearly not quite as generous an offer as the one by PTFC.

I'm sure I read that until this season, Dunfy have rarely taken less than 2,000 to the San Starko. Similarly, I imagine they rarely take much more than 500 to Firhill, except for important games (but then I've not been to a game vs Dunfermline in years).

You talk utter nonsense.

The club have said that all money raised will go towards paying players wages so how is that not making a difference? It could make the difference between the players being paid their wages or not. It may not keep the club alive but it could help them keep going till the end of the season.

For a start, there won't be more than 500 Pars fans.

You're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Charlie,

So you are really saying that there aren't 500 Dunfermline fans willing to help ? You seem to forget that the object is to try to get funds early, not wait until 27th April.

However, they might be better off just turning up for their 2 matches at EEP before end of March.

They're £8m in debt - it's not going to make the tiniest jot of a difference. Not that there's the remotest chance of over 500 turning up for a meaningless end-of-season match anyway.

But surely on the basis that the club is doing its bit in putting bread on the table of the players of a club that is going under then this is a worthwhile gesture. In that sense, I don't see what's meaningless about it. You might even find that the Dunfermline fans will turn out in numbers; especially if the club's future has been sealed. The problem with Scottish football is that the so-called community does SFA to help one an other. So it's great to see a community-minded club doing something to help another club. All no doubt caused by the greed of the OF... all evil can be traced back to their door; so it is written.

An absolutely empty gesture - clearly the club just trying to look good.

I agree and only a PR exercise.

Dunfermline are finished and this isn't going to do anything

Will they bring 500 fans? doubt it

Would any money actually go to the players wages? doubt it

Dunfermline are finished and no doubt more will follow.

A splendidly empty gesture. Nice PR with not a chance of a £ going out the door.

I don't think Raith Rovers gained much good PR from Saturday.

OK, it got coverage in the press but by all accounts some fans (on both sides) were unhappy with it and ultimately the Pars travelling support fell below the bar set by Turnbull Hutton prompting a very short statement on the Rovers website saying more or less "we're giving you nothing".

I'd far rather clubs just gave a small donation if they felt they were in a position to do so rather than setting certain triggering criteria.

Not sure what to make of gestures like this.

Imagine our club were facing a Winding Up order. Extinction in 8 days. A club we are due to play away in 5 weeks offers the chance to book tickets now. Any takers?

Or (hopefully) The Pars live on. Imagine that 600 Pars fans turn up. Allowing for some being under 16's, I suggest an average of £10 net income. One thousand pounds would be shared between the Dunfermline playing staff. Less than £50 each?

Is it a great gesture? When you look at it closely, is it even good PR? I'm not so sure.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Not sure what to make of gestures like this.

Imagine our club were facing a Winding Up order. Extinction in 8 days. A club we are due to play away in 5 weeks offers the chance to book tickets now. Any takers?

Or (hopefully) The Pars live on. Imagine that 600 Pars fans turn up. Allowing for some being under 16's, I suggest an average of £10 net income. One thousand pounds would be shared between the Dunfermline playing staff. Less than £50 each?

Is it a great gesture? When you look at it closely, is it even good PR? I'm not so sure.

The bulk of these players will be looking to provide for their families. 50 quid assists with this or covers petrol to get children to school.

It's sad that we live in an age where even a good deed is scrutinised and bad extracted. It's a very positive gesture, particularly due to our insistence that it goes to the p,ayers.

• Like 4

The bulk of these players will be looking to provide for their families. 50 quid assists with this or covers petrol to get children to school.

It's sad that we live in an age where even a good deed is scrutinised and bad extracted. It's a very positive gesture, particularly due to our insistence that it goes to the p,ayers.

Make an offer of x pounds per adult Dunfermline fan without including a threshold and it's good PR.

Raith Rovers made an offer on Saturday and ended up giving them precisely £0.

A splendidly empty gesture. Nice PR with not a chance of a £ going out the door.

It is of course very much in Thistle's interest that Dunfermline survive until the end of the season. Dunfermline liquidated = 2 further points behind Morton.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical.

Where does it say for definite that points and goals will be deducted should the pars go burst?

Here: http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/docs/009__034__constitution__rules__SFL_Constitution__Rules__1346425915.pdf

Rule 94.2.1

In the event of the club defaulting in the course of any season without having

fulfilled all of its fixtures then all matches in which the defaulting club(s)

participated in the course of that season shall be declared void by the

Board

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Make an offer of x pounds per adult Dunfermline fan without including a threshold and it's good PR.

Raith Rovers made an offer on Saturday and ended up giving them precisely £0.

I don't think the above is a bad idea, but I think the current one is better.

Raith Rovers high balled massively with their figure - from reading the press they had budgetted for a big away support anyway. I agree that they ended up looking a bit silly.

The PTFC away game could feasibly be the last away game that Dunfermline FC play. I expect they will somehow limp on and reach the end of the season, however after that its going to be even tougher for them. I would expect a good turnout of Dunfermline FC fans and some extra money into the players pockets. I look forward to welcoming them.

If the idea is just to help them 'limp on' till the end of the season, then it's even worse, given Thistle's self-interest in them doing so.

The whole thing is a complete embarrassment. As others have pointed out, Thistle should not get remotely involved in the payment of Dunfermline's players' wages.

Edited by Charlie Endell