Players Who Recently Left Us For "better" Things....

Jaggernaut

IF (chickens hatching and all that) we finish up as champions, I wonder what several players who left us in the last season or two for better quick-fix deals at other clubs will be thinking. I'm thinking especially of those whose careers seem to have either fizzled out or at best stagnated: Paddy Boyle, Liam Buchanan, Johnny Tuffey; even Paul Cairney (who I thought was brilliant for us last season) seems to have gone off the boil at Easter Road recently. Harkins, Twaddle.....

Maybe we could also throw McNamara and his side-kick into the list as well.

Mark Roberts is doing fine at Ayr. Cairney has another year on his Hibs contract. Harkins is back at Dundee who paid us handsomely for his services. Twaddle and Boyle should still have the ability to play in the First Division next season.

The big loser is Tuffey who has hardly played any first-team football since leaving us. He lost his international career too and should move on in the summer.

Would any of the players mentioned above get into the present team?

Good question. I'd reckon Harkins and Cairney would be in the squad, though not automatic choices, and Tuffey as back-up goalie. Much as I though Cairney was fantastic last season, often carrying the entire team on his own, he has not been missed thanks to the re-born Paul Paton, the brilliant Bannigan, and the fast-developing Craigen.

Good question. I'd reckon Harkins and Cairney would be in the squad, though not automatic choices, and Tuffey as back-up goalie. Much as I though Cairney was fantastic last season, often carrying the entire team on his own, he has not been missed thanks to the re-born Paul Paton, the brilliant Bannigan, and the fast-developing Craigen.

As much as I love our current team, Harkins would walk into our first 11. He would probably walk into most starting 11s in the SPL too, it's an absolute mystery to me why he chose to move to Dundee in January when he could no doubt have got a much better move.

IF (chickens hatching and all that) we finish up as champions, I wonder what several players who left us in the last season or two for better quick-fix deals at other clubs will be thinking. I'm thinking especially of those whose careers seem to have either fizzled out or at best stagnated: Paddy Boyle, Liam Buchanan, Johnny Tuffey; even Paul Cairney (who I thought was brilliant for us last season) seems to have gone off the boil at Easter Road recently. Harkins, Twaddle.....

Maybe we could also throw McNamara and his side-kick into the list as well.

Cairney has actually had a pretty good first season at Easter Road - although I'd be delighted to see him back with us it's unlikely to happen.

For me, Lawless is the one player who has filled the void left by Cairney more than anyone. The wee man has scored so many important goals this year and his work rate is just unbelievable.

• Like 3

For me, Lawless is the one player who has filled the void left by Cairney more than anyone. The wee man has scored so many important goals this year and his work rate is just unbelievable.

I see what you mean. I don't see them playing quite the same role, since Lawless seems more of an out and out attacker than a midfield grafter, but he's certainly been a revelation for us, along with quite a few others.

Others might not agree, but I see a lot of Bobby Lawrie in Lawless: both not dissimilar in stature, excellent ability to beat a man on the left side of the pitch and cut in, both masters of 'pass and go' and both having a great nose for goal. Oh, and both total lovers of the jersey.

Most definitely. Some of the link up play between him and Erskine has been unbelievable. When Erksine cuts in from the wing, Lawless is always coming short for the one-two. We've scored a few goals from that this season.

Most definitely. Some of the link up play between him and Erskine has been unbelievable. When Erksine cuts in from the wing, Lawless is always coming short for the one-two. We've scored a few goals from that this season.

Again, others might not agree, but last night on MotD they were salivating over two runs that Gareth Bale made from deep right into the heart of the Swansea defence. To me it looked pretty much like Chris Erskine tearing into so many defences this season.....

Has to be said, though, that Bale looks some player.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Anyway players have the right to move on as and when suits them and the club. In the same way we have the right to choose to give a free transfer to players that no longer fit.

You seem to be talking about loyalty but ask yourself what loyalty we will show to the players at season end that we don't think will cut it in the SPL (should we go up).

Anyway players have the right to move on as and when suits them and the club. In the same way we have the right to choose to give a free transfer to players that no longer fit.

You seem to be talking about loyalty but ask yourself what loyalty we will show to the players at season end that we don't think will cut it in the SPL (should we go up).

I've been pondering that very issue. And to be honest, if we make it to the SPL next season, I'd expect us to (try to) hold onto everybody in the first team squad with the possible exception of Murray. There may be fringe/younger players released (Jamie Campbell, for example).

Not really loyalty issues that led to my original post, more like irony issues.

harkins is doin well, so's cairney. he's been one of hibs better players this season. twaddles a twat and i never rated him any way.jonny tuffey? hahaha thought he was goin to greener pastures and couldn't get a game and was behind a donkey of a goalie for a game. Any player, as soon as the leave thistle, is the enemy.

harkins is doin well, so's cairney. he's been one of hibs better players this season. twaddles a twat and i never rated him any way.jonny tuffey? hahaha thought he was goin to greener pastures and couldn't get a game and was behind a donkey of a goalie for a game. Any player, as soon as the leave thistle, is the enemy.

They may not have hit the big time, but (maybe Liam and excepted) I suspect all will be on much higher wages than when they played for us.

We got £65k for Twaddle when we needed the cash.

Did you consider Rough, Forsyth, Hansen, Glavin, McQuade, Somner, Craig, Melrose, Johnston etc to be enemies when they left us?

They may not have hit the big time, but (maybe Liam and excepted) I suspect all will be on much higher wages than when they played for us.

I know money's important but especially in the case of Tuffey, is that all that matters?

If he doesn't get a decent team this summer, where he's 1st choice, he's going to need to go down the leagues (either here or in England) to get a number 1 spot & work his way up again.

I wouldn't want to look back on my career if I was a footballer & think, well I earned a little more money but didn't actually achieve what I could have.