8 Year Old Glory Hunter

gerrybritton9

hello!

I took my daughter to her first Jags game on Sunday - the Ramsdens Cup Final!

I've debated so long about taking her to Firhill - is she too wee? would she be bored? is the language too bad?

but when we got to the final i knew i wanted her Thistle life to start with this game!

I drove her to Livingston and she had about a million layers of clothing on - jackets, gloves, scarves, socks etc... but on top of it, I put MY first ever Thistle Top - the 1989 Watson Towers top from when I was 9. We walked round the ground to sample the atmosphere and she loved it.

However, when i walked past an old guy in a Thistle scarf, i saw him look at my daughter and say "aye, these cup finals bring out all the glory hunters!".

if my daughter had heard this, she would have cried. I looked at the bloke and gave him a glare. I was so tempted to give him a Muirhead kiss - but knew that would make my daughter even more upset.

anyway, she and I had the game of our lives. ok we lost and we played badly but I will NEVER forget that Doolan goal in the last seconds - what a feeling .

Me and my daughter went totally bananas !!!

crazy feeling!

She is now hooked and cannot wait for Morton. She has asked me if she can be called a Shed girl !

Mon the jags

• Like 4

I have started taking my nephew this year, he is 10, and loves every minute of it. Sunday was the first defeat he has been too so was a little worried how he would react.

Monday morning he watched the whole game again as he recorded it on bbc alba and he can't wait for tonight.

His sister, who is 4 and regularly breaks into chants of thistle at the dinner table was in tears after we returned. She watched it all on tv although not sure she knew what was going on. Will give her a few years yet.

Re the original post: I'm pretty sure that whoever made the remark was trying to be funny rather than anything else. Does your 8-year-old daughter even know what a "glory-hunter" is? It's true though that what passes for humour in some people totally bypasses or gets misinterpreted by other people. Only need to look at this forum!

Hope your daughter enjoys every Jags game from now on!

• Like 1

"aye, these cup finals bring out all the glory hunters!".

Mon the jags

I agree with this. People should attend their first Thistle game at birth. If not they should be banned from football forever, and be labelled glory hunters! Obviously joking, but the cup final would have been a great first game for any wean. Decent-ish weather, good atmosphere and a full house. Think what Thistle are doing with the free season tickets is fantastic and can only benefit the club.

I thought it was great to see so many glory hunters/ lapsed fans/ emigres/ casual fans etc at the Final the other day. I hope they enjoyed the atmosphere, if not the result , and will want to come to Firhill for more thrills.

It's good too to read about parents taking their weans along to their first Jags' game. We met a father and son on Sunday; the wee boy was six and, until then, had been to fifteen Jags games this season and saw them win all fifteen!

Looking forward to tonight's game.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Re the original post: I'm pretty sure that whoever made the remark was trying to be funny rather than anything else. Does your 8-year-old daughter even know what a "glory-hunter" is? It's true though that what passes for humour in some people totally bypasses or gets misinterpreted by other people. Only need to look at this forum!

Hope your daughter enjoys every Jags game from now on!

I'm afraid this old duffer was totally serious. Not nice at all.

anyway, the thing I've noticed on this forum is that people go on about who is a true supporter and who is the best supporter etc..

That does not matter.

what matters is that when people ask us "Who do you support?" we all say "Partick Thistle"

No matter how many games you go to or how long you've supported, we are all brothers from the same familiy.

This comparison on who is the "best" is all a bit Justin Beiber fans for me!

• Like 1

I'm afraid this old duffer was totally serious. Not nice at all.

anyway, the thing I've noticed on this forum is that people go on about who is a true supporter and who is the best supporter etc..

That does not matter.

what matters is that when people ask us "Who do you support?" we all say "Partick Thistle"

No matter how many games you go to or how long you've supported, we are all brothers from the same familiy.

This comparison on who is the "best" is all a bit Justin Beiber fans for me!

Agreed; that also includes the old duffer who made the out-of-place remark. Old duffers are sometimes cranky, especially after a lifetime of supporting the Jags. So maybe some slack-cutting is in order.

Maybe I would have got a ticket if all those weans hadn't went. Oh well. I enjoyed the Wednesday night Cowdenbeath away game anyway.

Perhaps you would have went if you had taken one of the many opportunities available to buy a ticket.

Partick Thistle value their young fans and I, for one, applaud that.