Inside Info

Lindau

If he has really signed a pre-contract should we play him for the remainder of the season? Will Archie sit him down and ask him straight out? Does he have any obligation to tell the truth? ...

I don't think Archie is likely to either take the huff with a player who moves on at the end of his contract or cut of his nose off to spite his face.

As Willjag said above, Archie stated on Sportsound last night that he knows that some of the players will be leaving. You could take that in two ways of course: there may be some out of contract players that he won't offer contracts to or there may be players who have told him they've had offers that he knows he can't better. Maybe both.

Even if Archie knows players who are not going to stay, maybe he is just professional and doesn't broadcast it. The last thing he would need would be fans getting on a players' back as the season reaches it's climax just because the player wasn't going to be here next season.

Was talking to Paton the other night as I do quite regularly. To quote the lad.., im dying to get back in the team and I'll be the proudest guy in maryhill to lift that trophy.

But. I've no doubts he is away, and as I mentioned earlier I wouldn't grudge him it.

Players come n go. But We are always Thistle.

Was talking to Paton the other night as I do quite regularly. To quote the lad.., im dying to get back in the team and I'll be the proudest guy in maryhill to lift that trophy.

But. I've no doubts he is away, and as I mentioned earlier I wouldn't grudge him it.

Players come n go. But We are always Thistle.

I dont grudge any player a move. I just dont want it to be to that :censor: :censor: :censor: at Dundee Utd.

At least not until the small matter of £80K is settled...

I have to admit I find it strange that Judas has singled out these two. Erskine, on his day, is a match for anyone in the country but he can silenced - especially in the Scottish game. Paton is a solid holding midfielder but we have coped adequately without him.

Look at their signing last summer for first division - Michael gardyne. He was a player who really impressed me yet has rarely featured anywhere but from the bench - do Paton & Erskine want this if they don't hit the ground running?

Disappointed if they go but I would think its purely a financial decision which is fair enough but can be very short-sighted in football

If any players do leave in the summer all the best to them. Everyone has been fantastic and will be leaving us hopefully in a great place for next season (the spl). Archie will have some work to do to bring in new players but that was always going to be the case.

I wonder what the Dundee utd fans think of these potential signings. While erskine and Paton have been brilliant for us I don't think they are the kinda guys that will push for a top six place. Utd only just got in by the skin of their teeth and with a few good players leaving I would be worried if I was a utd fan that they are signing guys from the first division to take their places. I do believe utd will struggle next season and jackiemac mac will be judged on his signings. Anyway turning this into a Dundee utd forum now, so I will stop.

It's worth bearing in mind that financial considerations for any player don't merely consist of the pay. The costs of travel (in time and money), the opportunity to play at a higher level (and next season Dundee Utd will be at the same level as us), relationships with coaching staff and players, job security and development opportunities (inside and outside football, as it's a short-term career) all count in a player's decision. Remember Tuffey?

Maybe there is some long term thinking going on here. McNamara could be snapping up proven 1st Division winners for Utd's promotion push in season 2014/15.

Players come players go it is the way of things,lets try and wrap the league up and then we will get a better idea of what the club is prepared to offer and to wholm.When we go up (tempting fate here)changes were always going to be made anyway so lets enjoy what this season has been a superb team and take it from there.Us the supporters will always be here anyway.

• Like 1

Players come players go it is the way of things,lets try and wrap the league up and then we will get a better idea of what the club is prepared to offer and to wholm.When we go up (tempting fate here)changes were always going to be made anyway so lets enjoy what this season has been a superb team and take it from there.Us the supporters will always be here anyway.

That's right. This season's squad has given us immense enjoyment (and a fair amount of frustration at time), and I'd love to see just about all of them stay on. But if some choose to go elsewhere, then tough (for them, and for us). I always enjoy the summer break and seeing what new players come in, wondering how they'll shape up etc. This summer (IF we win the league) is going to be even more enjoyable then usual in that respect. Archie has already done well with Dowie and McMillan, especially if he can sign them up for next season. I'm genuinely excited to see who else will arrive.

Macnamara has been brought in by Utd to develop a team on less money than previous managers. But no doubt if he brought in (e.g.) Erskine he would still be part of a bigger pool of good players (in the most part) than are at Thistle presently. He wouldn't be expected to be the main man and would maybe get less 'attention' from other teams that he does now with us.

Macnamara will take time - as he did with us - to get his new team playing the way he wants and develop a system that gets the best out of a squad that will be missing some of their current big players. If he is thinking of a system similar to the one used by Thistle then bringing in a couple of players like Paton and Erskine who were key to that system with us makes sense. They would very likely be better players within that system for Utd than if they were used for instance in a straight 4-4-2 formation.

Whether he gets that time is always dependant on luck so we'll see: I only mention this to point out a reason why signing them might be a good idea. I don't want Erskine to go. We can manage without Paton - and Erskine too, but Erskine offers us more than just a good player for the team who scores important goals: he gives us that "X" factor, that makes a team really worth watching. We can easily replace Paton but though we could build a good team without Erskine we'd still really miss him. That's the reason BTW for the Harkins thread elsewhere on this forum: Thistle fans realise Erskine is a special player and there's only one other player around at the moment (who we MIGHT be able to sign) who could come close to replacing him.

No player is irreplaceable but I think Erskine comes very close to it. He's got the combination of outrageous, match-winning skill and a tremendous work-rate; to bring in a player with the ability he possesses would cost us a significant amount. Michael Gardyne made the same move last year after probably being equally as important to Ross County's title winning team as Erskine is to us and, as far as I'm aware, has played a very peripheral part for United. The money may be greater but the grass isn't always greener.

I can understand why Paton would want to move; he'll attribute the improvement in his game to McNamara's guidance and probably rightly so. He's been a good servant for the club and has always gave his all for the jersey. His style of play is endearing as a fan and I'm sure he'll do a good job but he is far more replaceable than Erskine. As a slightly ironic aside, when McCall first signed Paton, he compared it to his signing of Barry Robson at United - funny that it's where he's probably going to end up too.

We've all seen equally as good, and some even better, players leave - that's the way it goes. I don't begrudge either Paton or Erskine the opportunity to earn more money and further what is a very short career. However, in both players years at Firhill, I think Wednesday night was the first time that they really realised what a big club Thistle can be. And maybe, just maybe, that might make them reconsider but, if it doesn't, I'll wish them all the best and look forward to seeing who Archie chooses to replace them with.

Edited by Armand2
  • Like 1

Paton has not signed for DU. He has plenty of offers and intrest from them, rangers and down south. Nothing has been signed yet. Although he is proud to be a jag he has a daughter and as this is a very short career and one injury can ruin your career he has got to look out for her and the finances. If he gives 100% when under contract then you can't fault him. Unfortunately there is no loyalty in football anymore.

I wonder what Jags fans would do is some crazy billionaire offered us money to go an watch another team instead of Thistle, i.e. so that we made a clear financial profit.

Would that put our loyalty to the test? My first response is "No chance", but wait, just how lucrative is the crazy billionaire's offer....... :thinking:

Edited by Jaggernaut

If we lost Paton and Erskine and managed to get Bachirou and Harkins I wouldn't be too fussed.

Regardless, both Paton and Erskine have been great players for us - if they leave in the summer it will be with my best wishes and hopefully after seeing them both lift the league trophy on 27 April.

Bachirou is a decent suggestion as a replacement for Paton; doesn't have the same range of passing from what I've seen but certainly has similar tenacity. The one I had thought of was Stewart Murdoch at Falkirk.

• Members

Paton has not signed for DU. He has plenty of offers and intrest from them, rangers and down south. Nothing has been signed yet. Although he is proud to be a jag he has a daughter and as this is a very short career and one injury can ruin your career he has got to look out for her and the finances. If he gives 100% when under contract then you can't fault him. Unfortunately there is no loyalty in football anymore.

How did training go this morning Paul? :D Seriously though. I don't think there is one Jags fan out there that wouldn't love Paul to sign on again and Captain us in the SPL with a good wage.

I am not going into sources so dont ask as I dont want anyone getting into trouble, but

Sources, overheard:

McNamara's Uncle Jim (former Paisley publican and east-end man about town) saying the nephew had lined up four - 'Erskine, Paton, O'Donnell and...'

..sorry, I couldn't (over)hear the last name.

Though with O'Donnell still on contract and United hardly rolling in cash I'm not sure how reliable Uncle Jim will turn out to be.

Not sure if I don't believe it or just don't want to believe it. Just seems really lazy scouting from an SPL team. Or maybe just lazy journalism. Lets be honest - Falkirk, Livi, Morton and Dunfermline all have decent players that could do a job in the SPL, as do Dundee (though obviously an issue there!) and a few others in the 'bottom 6'. And thats just Scottish teams. Nothing against those mentioned, but to raid your former club for four signings?

Sources, overheard:

McNamara's Uncle Jim (former Paisley publican and east-end man about town) saying the nephew had lined up four - 'Erskine, Paton, O'Donnell and...'

..sorry, I couldn't (over)hear the last name.

Though with O'Donnell still on contract and United hardly rolling in cash I'm not sure how reliable Uncle Jim will turn out to be.

My source aint Uncle Jim. As stated ,a girl in my works son plays with Dundee Und and when she saw that the jags had won on Wednesday she said to him that a guy in her work would be over the moon (me!!) His reply was that he might not be so happy if he knew that 3 of the team were heading to Tannadice as soon as the season was over. Nothing more, nothing less. I asked her today if she knew the names of the players but she said that her son hadnt been told, only that the 3 were from the jags!

Edited by Lindau