How Unusual Is This?

Auld Jag

Some bald guy was hit at the league cup game against hamilton at the start of this season by an errant shot during the warm-up (can't remember which team hit it). The sound from that hit was just epic.

I actually picked up a ball at a match for the first time a few weeks ago during the warm-up. I nearly lost my programme as I'd held that out to protect myself, but the ball landed a row in front of me and I threw it back onto the pitch. Childhood ambition achieved!

I came very close to getting whacked with the ball @ Morton a few seasons ago. I had just got to the stadium and was walking down the stairs in the Wee Dublin end when Bryn Halliwell failed to catch a Craig Hinchcliffe punt during the warm up, but I was able to make a textbook catch before it hit my face. Got my hands in the "W" position, soft hands, and clutched the ball to my chest. Bryn was impressed needless to say.

If only Bryn himself had done that more often!

Only time I've ever got a hold of the match ball was on the day of 9/11. We had a cup tie down at Berwick and I retrieved the ball and threw it to Steven Craigen. He said thanks and gave me thumbs up.

Craigen is a great guy, seen him in the street many times and he's always happy to stop and chat about the jags.

I remember a game during the DC era. Think it was one of the horrible games towards the end of the 04/05 season when we started to realise we would be relegated for the second year running. The ball came flying in to the JH and a young lad stood up sent the ball back on to the park with a bullet header. It was the best cheer we had heard all season and all the folk around the young lad were telling him to get stripped and on to the park.

Didnt happen to Me but my wife got a belter at Queen of the South sitting in the 3rd row. Paddy Keogh skewed his clearance. The ball was rocketing towards her at the precise time I was bending down to pick up my coffee. When I got upright I was greeted by a look of horror. She had taken the full blast on her nut and sent her glasses into row 10!! Some guy did return both halfs to her and asked if everthing was ok. to which I replied. "I forgot the sugar" Didnt go down to well and the wife had a ball mark on her face for a week. :happy2::innocent2:

Brilliant...almost pee'ed myself reading that! :)

When I first started going to Firhill in the 60's there was a lot of space behind the North goal area and they used to park the little light blue three wheelers there, quite regularly they used to get hit by wayward shots. With the lack of space between the goal and the stands these days I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Sorry to hear about your injuries Auld Jag, hopefully the repairs weren't too expensive and I bet your son will love telling his mates how Da' got a ball smack in the face at the Thistle game.

My Granda on my Mums side was a St Mirren fan whilst he was alive and used to park his wee blue car behind the goals at Love street, never missed a local game, playing Celtic one time and the travelling support attempted to roll his car over with him in it, even with Celtic winning all because his car had the black & white scarf draped out the window.

We were losing 7-3 at home to st johnstone and most of the shed was on the way out of the ground when dalziel or someone missed a chance and i caught the ball behind the goal. I stupidly booted it back on only to let loads of abuse from fellow jags for not booting it iut the ground. Think we might have been 3-2 up at half time thanks in part to a volleyed back heel by john donnelly too. And i think we then beat saints 6-2 later in the season to relegate them. Or that could be bollocks.

On the way out of the North Stand on Wednesday night, a Thistle fan (20ish?) appeared to be the proud 'new' owner of a match ball. Not sure, obviously, whether he'd caught it or got whacked with it or whatever, but he seemed pretty chuffed with his wee pressie - and why not. :thumbsup2:

You'll be pleased to know that this was "acquired" by the young lad from Morton during the warm up.

We were losing 7-3 at home to st johnstone and most of the shed was on the way out of the ground when dalziel or someone missed a chance and i caught the ball behind the goal. I stupidly booted it back on only to let loads of abuse from fellow jags for not booting it iut the ground. Think we might have been 3-2 up at half time thanks in part to a volleyed back heel by john donnelly too. And i think we then beat saints 6-2 later in the season to relegate them. Or that could be bollocks.

Those results did indeed happen..

I remember many years ago (when I was a boy) I went to see Thistle play at Fir Park and Bobby Watson struck the ball wide of the right hand post and into the terracing skelping a person. :football: :confused1:

He ran off the pitch and over to make sure the person was ok and called either the physio or someone over to check them out. My memory was that he was off the pitch for a while showing concern for the person. Nowadays the ref would book him for leaving the pitch blah blah. Bobby Watson was one of the gents in football.

:fan:

Chic Charnley directed a shot at my Uncle's bald head while he was walking round the city end to the Shed, early 90's, pre match warm up. Chic always had great accuracy.

My dad got a fractured finger stopping a Danny Lennon shot when the ball went in the crowd.

I saw chic charnley almost get hit by the ball not that long ago because he was too busy looking at his phone instead of watching the game. He noticed just in the nick of time. Can't remember where, it was maybe away to airdrie.

It was away to Livvi.

As a very young teenager away at Ayr Utd, we were standing at the corner when the ball got hoofed out. I caught it on my chest, down on to my knee, played a wee bit of keepie uppie then passed it to Alex O'Hara. I got a bit of a cheer, but more importantly, a nod and a wink from Alex :frantic: Thirty odd years later, never been been close..........

On Wednesday i took up my usual place at the very front of the north stand with my son who is a wheelchair user.While Morton players were going through there warm up i got hit by the ball.I now have a black eye and had to get my glasses straightened by my optician.As i have been following Thistle for over 50years and this is the first time this has happened to me i was wondering if ii has happened to anyone else?

Sorry to hear of your injuries Auld Jag, it is a dangerous place to be during warm up, used to be worse when the rugby were at Firhill and the kickers were doing practice kicks when you were walking past! A lot of seats get broken in the same area, if we put up a large net it may obscure the vision from the stand.....need to think of something, don't want fans going home injured.

Seen to remember someone talking a ball to the face at the Tennents 6's. Took his glasses clean off & cut his face in the process. Also remember at Kilbowie a wee kid getting a cracker right on the back of the head as he climbed the stairs. Poor guy never stood a chance!