The Summer Before Promotion

ChiThistle

A few business questions for those of you who experienced our last promotion:

Do we typically see a lot of signings early or later in the summer? When will Archie know what his playing budget is going to be?

Did we get any fresh investment from interested parties last time? Would we expect any this time?

Does the club end up putting a lot of money into stadium upkeep to meet SPL standards? Is there a lot we'll have to do? I don't recall the name of the one opposite the JHS, but I imagine it hasn't been used in forever and would need refurbishment.

Just curious.

On the stadium: these days the Jackie Husband stand on its own would meet the seating capacity requirements of the SPL. We got royally shafted by the SPL last time around, so hopefully payback time is coming up.

I was thinking about this earlier on, and it strikes me that we have effectively zero infrastructure outlay to get up to the SPL, compared to for instance Morton this year and Ross County last year. Combined with the increased attendances this should put us in a better financial position than we've been for quite some time, and definitely better than our last promotion.

On the stadium: these days the Jackie Husband stand on its own would meet the seating capacity requirements of the SPL. We got royally shafted by the SPL last time around, so hopefully payback time is coming up.

This is true, and I'm still very bitter about the whole affair......but the North Stand has been a massive asset for us this season. I'm so glad we have it now.

Last time we went up, we didn't sign that many players, kept most of squad together, and signed few experienced players like whyte and buchan. Davie lilley was a good singing pre season also. And kenny chocolate ankles milne...dud!

Will we need a u21 team again or did they scrap that?

aye the more money we get in early the better. We're going to struggle big time next year without Paton and Erskine, everyone we want to sign will be offered better deals by the likes of killie st mirren hibs hearts etc, and with archie being a rookie in management I think we may struggle to attract players. dunno where to start with signings this year to be honest, I would sign dowie and mcmillan, we need a better keeper than scully as back up, another centre or left sided centre back, probably 3-4 midfielders and another 2 strikers.Archie will have to get rid of a few for the upcoming season, probably scully, murray, mcguigan, Elliott I still don't think is good enough for the SPL. who knows, whatever happens it will be better than being in this shithole first division.

Last time we went up, we didn't sign that many players, kept most of squad together, and signed few experienced players like whyte and buchan. Davie lilley was a good singing pre season also. And kenny chocolate ankles milne...dud!

Will we need a u21 team again or did they scrap that?

Theres still a under 21 league, four first division clubs (dunfermline, falkirk, hamilton and one other - livingston I think) currently play in it. It was done by invitation, not sure if getting into the SPL gets you an invitation or not (not sure why we didn't get one

Edit: it is called "under 20 league" not 21. It's dunfermline, falkirk, hamilton and also includes county, who were a division one team at the time. Was newly established last year so not sure regarding teams entry, Dundee are also bottom of it just now.

Edited by read'n'yell

How much do we get for winning the Championship? Take off what the players and management were offered in bonuses and put the rest towards next seasons budget please Mr Beattie.

£70,000 for winning first division. Going into the SPL is said to be worth £1 million more than being in first (seems a bit much to me but perhaps it includes parachute payments if you get relegated, plus additional gate money, tv money, higher sponsorship etc). So even half that would get 10 players at 50 grand each. Sign up some of our boys plus 7-8 new faces. Leaves 500,000 for the kitty.

Does anyone know if MacB's new deal is on the same terms as the last one? Or did it have a clause to see it increase if we got promoted? MacB are getting a good deal if its stayed the same.

• Members

Cheers r'n'y. Not very much for winning the league then! We'll have a few bob from recent big crowds however on top of this, so I'd like to see us use some of this to try and tie up some of the younger players on longer improved contracts. Actually, I'd give them a decent payrise anyway after their efforts this season.

Of course some of the money we get must go towards reducing our debt.

How much debt do we have?

We are in a much better position now, no money needs spent on the ground and we have the makings of a good team already.

Extend everyone in the first teams contract for 2 years (with relegation clauses) and we don't really need that much else.

I'd like to see us go all out on a few good signings rather than 7-8 squad players. My knowledge of who is available isn't the best but if we could somehow get Harkins back that would be a massive boost. If we are only playing with 1 striker Doolan and Craig should be fine. We need more players who can play in the wide forward positions and a like for like replacement for Paton, could Bachirou do this? Could probably go a back up centre half as well and that should do it.