Tonight's Evening Times Article By Erskine

Trotter

Sorry, but it's entirely within Paton and Erskine's rights to go wherever they want next season. They are both out of contract, and they need to think of themselves.

(The only argument that annoys me a little is the "I want to play SPL football" - remaining with Thistle would see the same goal. I think what they mean to say, but don't want to say, is that they have a proportionally better chance of playing SPL football throughout their three year contract with a team already relatively secure in the SPL rather than a promotion side, but god help us all when that gets said - Jags would be bumping their gums for years.)

At the end of the day, it's been clear that since Paton's injury a lot of the control and organisation of the team has been awry. He has a good presence. He's given the club 100% and there should be no question that he lifts the trophy.

• Like 1

Sorry, but it's entirely within Paton and Erskine's rights to go wherever they want next season. They are both out of contract, and they need to think of themselves.

(The only argument that annoys me a little is the "I want to play SPL football" - remaining with Thistle would see the same goal. I think what they mean to say, but don't want to say, is that they have a proportionally better chance of playing SPL football throughout their three year contract with a team already relatively secure in the SPL rather than a promotion side, but god help us all when that gets said - Jags would be bumping their gums for years.)

At the end of the day, it's been clear that since Paton's injury a lot of the control and organisation of the team has been awry. He has a good presence. He's given the club 100% and there should be no question that he lifts the trophy.

First up, don't think anyone has said differently, on this thread anyway, about the needing to 'think of themselves' or financial security of 3yr deal plus extra wage (assuming they don't do a Dundee or a Dunfermline- ask Andy or Jordan).

Secondly, I'm with you on that bit about the "playing SPL football" bit. I'd much rather just hear the bit you added above as it's the honest answer.

On the last part, I'd actually disagree. Paton has been out for most of the last 2-3 months & Bannigan & Welsh have been immense. The stat that says that we haven't lost a league game in over a year where Welsh has started says it all for me. Him & Bannigan will be the main men in the team for me. Not knocking Paton, his work rate, energy or passion but if you asked me which 2 of those 3 to keep then...

On the lifting the trophy. A difficult one. If Archie wasn't boss now I'd have said him. Paton has been captain most of time aside from injury & Erskine behind Steven Craig in captaincy stakes.

Honestly, I'd love to see whoever has been made captain insist on Archie & Shaggy to lift it. Nothing to do with players leaving, just a personal opinion.

• Like 1

Archie's a club legend and got us to where we are. He should lift the trophy simple as that.

If we win on Saturday then there is no need for Paton to rush to try and get fit, I wouldn't even bother letting him play again. Would rather we concentrate on the players who actually want to be here and give them a game.

I do wish Erskine the best of luck - he will be missed and not as replaceable. He has made the few years of mid table finishes a bit more fun to watch!

First up, don't think anyone has said differently, on this thread anyway, about the needing to 'think of themselves' or financial security of 3yr deal plus extra wage (assuming they don't do a Dundee or a Dunfermline- ask Andy or Jordan).

Secondly, I'm with you on that bit about the "playing SPL football" bit. I'd much rather just hear the bit you added above as it's the honest answer.

Yeah, sorry - that first part came from my frustration about a culmination of a few threads here, a few conversations on Twitter, and a few bizarre Facebook posts. And being lumped in as one of the Twitter "arselickers" because I had the audacity to wish Paton luck!

You're right - honesty might be the best policy, but I think in spite of being a bit daft, the boys know they'd never be forgiven. You never know - Pates and Erskine could be the Archie and Shaggie of ten years' time, and they don't want to burn their bridges. That's probably why they had intended keeping the signing quiet til a couple of weeks time, too, I'd imagine.

• Like 1

The old line that gets brought out on here, though not yet on this thread is...

They should have stayed for another year, if they stayed and kept thistle up, they would have their pick of teams to choose from instead of moving now to a mid table SPL team.

I always chuckle when i read that.

It's the truth.

They should have stayed for another year, if they stayed and kept thistle up, they would have their pick of teams to choose from instead of moving now to a mid table SPL team.

It worked for Archie, Shaggy, Hardie, Craigan & Burns the first summer after we stayed up last time

Yeah, sorry - that first part came from my frustration about a culmination of a few threads here, a few conversations on Twitter, and a few bizarre Facebook posts. And being lumped in as one of the Twitter "arselickers" because I had the audacity to wish Paton luck!

You're right - honesty might be the best policy, but I think in spite of being a bit daft, the boys know they'd never be forgiven. You never know - Pates and Erskine could be the Archie and Shaggie of ten years' time, and they don't want to burn their bridges. That's probably why they had intended keeping the signing quiet til a couple of weeks time, too, I'd imagine.

As the saying goes "it's a funny old game".

I'm sure if you told Andy Dowie he's be back at Firhill one day after what happened before or even if you'd said to him & Jordan McMillan that they'd be playing for us before the end of the season...

There's no loyalty,as such, in football anymore. You have to do what's best for you at that time. However you have no idea what's around the corner. That's where you are being better being honest as your lies wil end up catching you up.

Like Cainey last year, both of the boys leave with the best wishes of the large majority but at same time those who think otherwise are entitled to their opinion. So long as its not abusive.

• Like 2

Not sure if your being sarcastic jaggy? Cos those 5 moved to kiklie mwell n dundee utd, whats the difference? Go early, earn 20k more that season, or potentially stay, do nothing/ get injured n end up with nothin. Its too big a risk for these guys not to take the money when its offered, doesn't mean they hate thistle. In fact im even more impressed with erskine, knowing he was leaving, and seeing how furious he was at airdrie, he single handedly turned that match around, was screaming at his team mates to pick it up, he was raging, and his picture celebrating the winner when he's bent double in mid air in some exorcist like contortion pose u can see how happy he was. They want this just as bad, dont u think they want to leave on a high?

glad we didnt sponsor them !!!

It worked for Archie, Shaggy, Hardie, Craigan & Burns the first summer after we stayed up last time

All the players you mentioned there went to mid table SPL clubs. In fact, 2 went back to previous clubs- Craigan & Burns to Motherwell.

I don't think many of them were ever as 'successful' as they were during their time at Firhill. However the security of a longer contract plus more wages too good to turn down.

That's just something we'll have to get used to- for now.

Edited by Trotter

I'd attribute that to fatigue rather than Paul's absence, given we beat Dunfermline, Dumbarton, Hamilton, Cowdenbeath and Morton (for the first time this season) while he was injured.

I'm not questioning his commitment, but I'd put it to you that Bannigan and Welsh are more influential players, certainly in terms of games won while they've been present on the pitch.

It's a pity that the team can't lift the trophy as one, but if you're talking unquestionable trophy lifters then there's only one name on my lips - Alan Archibald.

Edited by Dark Passenger