Fergie Retires

I would rate Sir Matt Busby more highly than Sir Alex. Bob Paisley's record was even better 6 League titles and 3 European Cups and 1 UEFA Cup in 9 seasons!

The media are focusing on Mourinho, Klopp and Moyes as candidates to replace him. With Ferguson joining the United board, he may have a surprise candidate in mind, e.g. Giggs or Solsjaer, whom he could advise if necessary.

Edited by kni

I would rate Sir Matt Busby more highly than Sir Alex. Bob Paisley's record was even better 6 League titles and 3 European Cups and 1 UEFA Cup in 9 seasons!

The media are focusing on Mourinho, Klopp and Moyes as candidates to replace him. With Ferguson joining the United board, he may have a surprise candidate in mind, e.g. Giggs or Solsjaer, whom he could advise if necessary.

That is truly phenomenal (though if you want to bitch about it you could argue that the old EC was "easier" than the modern Champions League). Busby was also legendary to the point of being breathtaking, not least because of the re-building after the Munich Disaster. What fantastic stories football has thrown up over the decades.

Not least......

John Lambie slapping a Thistle player on the chops with a dead pigeon.

I'd be amazed if MU didn't give the job to somebody with decent experience at a high level. Moyes would be a good fit I think, but he's lacking in the highest category of European experience. But hey, look at McParland, McNamara and Archie!!

That is truly phenomenal (though if you want to bitch about it you could argue that the old EC was "easier" than the modern Champions League).

Yes and no- it was easier once you'd qualified, but far harder to qualify (you had to be champions of your country or Europe). One of Ferguson's wins came after qualifying as league runners up. I was surprised to find out recently that Paisley is the only manager ever to win three European cups.

A legend of the sport. But I'm now looking forward to seeing how a Manchester United side competes without Fergie at the helm. I really like Moyes, so if he gets it I wish him all the best, but if it goes to someone else and they 'do a Liverpool' for the next couple of decades - that'd be great.

That is truly phenomenal (though if you want to bitch about it you could argue that the old EC was "easier" than the modern Champions League). Busby was also legendary to the point of being breathtaking, not least because of the re-building after the Munich Disaster. What fantastic stories football has thrown up over the decades.

I'd be amazed if MU didn't give the job to somebody with decent experience at a high level. Moyes would be a good fit I think, but he's lacking in the highest category of European experience. But hey, look at McParland, McNamara and Archie!!

In Paisley's era, only real Champions could play in the European Cup. It has been devalued by the new structure.

The MU shareholders will want an experienced manager with proven European experience. Moyes may not convince them and Mourinho is a loose cannon who will want a large transfer kitty. Klopp could fit the bill but he says that he is staying at Dortmund. I like Ancelotti but he is rumoured to be going to Madrid.

• Members

And three league cups, also.

Taken from FB earlier.....

It just makes you wonder how Bob Paisley, who won 6 league titles, 3 European cups and a total of 17 trophies

in just 9 years as Liverpool manager, was never Knighted!

Andy McCluskey

That is truly phenomenal (though if you want to bitch about it you could argue that the old EC was "easier" than the modern Champions League).

You could argue though that the old EC could be harder on the big teams because they could be knocked out in an early round - the CL formula with its mini leagues makes it easier for a big club to recover from a wee club's one-off daft result. Traveling was also more difficult back then.

Fergie is king. The best ever. No one will ever achieve what he has done. Possibly the last of the old school managers but one which evolved through time, hence he reason for his continual success. A no nonsense working class Glaswegian, shipyard apprentice and use his early shortcomings in the game spur him onto greatness.

He had the whole English press eating out of his hand. The guy is a hero in my eyes.

Sometimes the force can be selective in its service,

I like what you did there.

For a start the stuff about van Persie almost dying. defending Cantona after his kung-fu kick, the constant criticism of referees when decisions don't go his way, his comments about fellow managers.

He has zero dignity and makes Neil Lennon look like a reasonable person.

That's my opinion of course.

I don't think you've quite grasped what the man's really all about...

Taken from FB earlier.....

It is amazing that Bob Paisley, with his fantastic record, was not knighted. He spent 50 years at Anfield as a player, physio, coach and manager. Paisley had the tough job of succeeding the legendary Bill Shankly and delivered spectacularly. Perhaps he was just too modest.

It is amazing that Bob Paisley, with his fantastic record, was not knighted. He spent 50 years at Anfield as a player, physio, coach and manager. Paisley had the tough job of succeeding the legendary Bill Shankly and delivered spectacularly. Perhaps he was just too modest.

Too working class, I believe, is the unstated reason...

Looking at the media collectively wanking over Moyes being a shoein apparently, it would seem so.

Sometimes the force can be selective in its service,

Moyes confirmed as leaving Everton now.

Dear oh dear son, you were MILES out with your Klopp prediction.

Fergie is king. The best ever. No one will ever achieve what he has done. Possibly the last of the old school managers but one which evolved through time, hence he reason for his continual success. A no nonsense working class Glaswegian, shipyard apprentice and use his early shortcomings in the game spur him onto greatness.

He had the whole English press eating out of his hand. The guy is a hero in my eyes.

I like what you did there.

Never worked in the shipyards

In Paisley's era, only real Champions could play in the European Cup. It has been devalued by the new structure.

The MU shareholders will want an experienced manager with proven European experience. Moyes may not convince them and Mourinho is a loose cannon who will want a large transfer kitty. Klopp could fit the bill but he says that he is staying at Dortmund. I like Ancelotti but he is rumoured to be going to Madrid.

You're having a 'mare this week kni. If this was a game of football you'd have been hooked in the first half!