Players You Never Liked, Even When You Were Wee

Jaggernaut

Over the years there are players that you're more than happy to see leaving: the non-tryers, the disruptive, and the downright awful.

Who were among your first?

As a youngster I simply adored all Thistle players. All heroes. But gradually, I got to resent obviously past-it old-firm players turning up at Firhill for some easy money. The likes of John Divers, and Steve Chalmers. Even Mabawser, who was slow and who made Kevin Bud look emaciated. (George Niven, by contrast, was a legend.)

I was only wee, but that was the start of my more discerning Firhill eye.

Unfortunately, there's been too many to mention but, in my time, the worst of the worst has to be Kenny Brannigan; an absolute abhorrence.

In more recent times, Derek Fleming descended into a half-arsed, lackadaisical waste of space - a perfect example of a player who stuck about too long. Any player who backs out of 50/50 challenges is sure to feel my wrath from the stands, e.g. Iain Flannigan, Sean Kilgannon - I remember standing beside Boab at Gretna and his reaction when Kilgannon shat himself in a challenge was priceless.

Unfortunately, there's been too many to mention but, in my time, the worst of the worst has to be Kenny Brannigan; an absolute abhorrence.

In more recent times, Derek Fleming descended into a half-arsed, lackadaisical waste of space - a perfect example of a player who stuck about too long. Any player who backs out of 50/50 challenges is sure to feel my wrath from the stands, e.g. Iain Flannigan, Sean Kilgannon - I remember standing beside Boab at Gretna and his reaction when Kilgannon shat himself in a challenge was priceless.

Bit harsh!

This would be the same Derek Fleming who broke his leg at Love Street when scoring for us in the league winning game!

Jeez, oh

Simon Donnelly.

Played 1 decent season, and simply sh!t for the other 4. That infuriating mix of skillfull - and really couldn't be arsed.

How he's escaped the wrath of forumites in the Macnamoney baiting the last couple months is beyond me.

Wee toaly of the first order.

Oh, and Kenny Branigan too. He really was uber-gash.

Never took to Brian Wright on the park. Met him at a PotY in the Central hotel and he was thoroughly pleasant chap, likewise with Cammy Duncan.

I haven't booed a Thistle player that I can think of, though I've seen plenty of duffers :(

Edited by jagfox

Barry Smith. Undisputed king of the talentless fud division bar absolutely none. Some of those mentioned above were truly worthy of lengthy custodial sentences for gross impersonations of Thistle players, but BS was one man whose name filled me with pathological dread when his name came over the PA in the starting XI.

The ultimate ambivalent experience for me was one day in the Campbell era when the stadium announcer said "Today Thistle welcome back from injury Mark Roberts and B@rry Sm#th." I experienced exhilaration for approximately 0.6 seconds followed by a deep and almost instant compulsion to jump into the nolly clutching a big slab of concrete.

Got to agree with flea... The player who went up under lambie, really wasn't the same one who went down under Derek n gerry and Dick.

I'm sure it was the first game of th first division season away at Clyde and Fleming got sent off after a yellow for talking back and another for a stupid rash challenge that screamed of someone who didn't want to be on the pitch.

Player manager Derek Johnstone. big guy at rangers. huge guy at the jags. could not get off the ground for a cross ball

fudd as a player - although I seem to remember that he only played a couple of games. Where he utterly collapsed, though, was in his managerial ability. Took a team with a hint of promise and ruined them in a couple of months. Total *****.

Simon Donnelly.

Played 1 decent season, and simply sh!t for the other 4. That infuriating mix of skillfull - and really couldn't be arsed.

How he's escaped the wrath of forumites in the Macnamoney baiting the last couple months is beyond me.

Wee toaly of the first order.

Oh, and Kenny Branigan too. He really was uber-gash.

Donnelly was, allegedly, far more reluctant to go to Dundee United than McNamara.

Simon Donnelly? You have got to be joking? For a 2/3 year spell he was the only good thing about thistle. He just was on a total different level to everyone about him most of the time which lead to apparent stray passes, they weren't just played next to sh1te...

He used to get some amount of stick off certain fans who clearly had no knowledge of the game over things that were clearly not his fault ie caught in possession after looking, looking and looking again for a pass and not finding one and playing passes that were clearly above the footballing intellect of his team mates...

As good a technically gifted player we've had since Chico, who also suffered from his team mates lack of ability at times...

I guess Watson towers was one of the haters of Donnelly which says a lot about your knowledge of the game.

Abuse of players like Donnelly used to frustrate the life out me as they used to try and keep the ball and play intelligently, even if it meant going backwards but some idiots used to shout and bawl at passes played back to centre halfs and possession based football. Thankfully thanks to McNamara and McCall before him we have educated most as to how the game should be played but even under both and now archie we still get idiotic shouts about not getting the ball forward. If we have the ball the other team ain't scoring!

Rant over

Mon the jags

Edited by flynnthistle
  • Like 1

Simon Donnelly? You have got to be joking? ...

I guess Watson towers was one of the haters of Donnelly which says a lot about your knowledge of the game.

Abuse of players like Donnelly used to frustrate the life out me as they used to try and keep the ball and play intelligently, even if it meant going backwards but some idiots used to shout and bawl at passes played back to centre halfs. Thankfully thanks to McNamara and McCall before him we have educated most as to how the game should be played but even under both still get idiotic shouts about not getting the ball forward

Rant over

Mon the jags

I never said a word against him on here or at a game nor while he was the previous manager's gimp.

Unlike some Johnny-come-lately posters I have an online footprint going back to the days of What a Sensation, so you can check that out.

I have NEVER "boo"ed or slagged off a current Jago... but, deep inside, I would fume at a total waste of talent like rat-face Donnely. As I said in my first post he was clearly a skilful player - but having a football brain without the guts to actually use it is, for me, simply unacceptable.

Being good at the game is great, but being a ***** just means that you are an horrendous waste of that talent. And Sid was, I'm afraid, a *****.

Now that he has gone I am happy to vent on this one.

And as for using my opinion as a demonstration of my "knowledge of the game" that is a pretty feeble dig, bud.

Want to try again?

btw, what actually was *****-boz's role at Firhill in the last couple of years?

Yes, Jackie, that's what's I think too...

Yes, Jackie, I do like it up there. Ouch that hurts... no, I didn't say stop...

Yes, Jackie, let's fk off to United...

fk him, and fk this stupid hagiography that made him out to be any better than the passenger that he was.

boo: my new chum has clearly gone to bed; I was up for further discussion on that one...

And for the record, my deleted words were "f-nny" and "p-ssy": man, the sweary police on here are tight, as both those words seem entirely appropriate given the subject matter; seems strange to blank that out.