Gary Fraser

Islay jag

If true, and if we get Fraser, it would be good to see some of our U20 players being able to realistically challenge for a place in the first team. With a small squad we'll need that, but it's also great to see young players developing week by week on the pitch (i.e. Bannigan, O'Donnell etc...) rather than watching players getting progressively worse the more they play (i.e. too many recent players to mention...)

Motherwell Scout was at the game last night

Presumably, one of Fraser's options that Archie referred to in his post-match comments last night.

.....and that only prompts another obvious question.

One that the manager should have the answer to. Fraser's been training with us for a few weeks so Archie has had time to assess him. He sounds very keen on him.

Am at a loss now regarding Fraser, Archie doesnt appear to be too confident about signing him , so why play the lad for all our opposition to come along watch ??? especially given that he's mulling over other offers by the sounds of it , doesnt make sense !!! Playing good stuff with us but possibly going elsewhere ???

He's been with us all of pre-season. Archie's got to treat him as a potential signing to have any chance of signing him. What would you do - not play him as he has offers elsewhere and still hope he chooses us?

If we target the right calibre of player, players that would truly improve the club, then we need to accept that we'll miss out on a few. Them's the breaks. And that's much better than signing a pile of pish players who, doubtless, would agree to a contract right away as they'll have no other offers elsewhere.

• Like 1

He's been with us all of pre-season. Archie's got to treat him as a potential signing to have any chance of signing him. What would you do - not play him as he has offers elsewhere and still hope he chooses us?

If we target the right calibre of player, players that would truly improve the club, then we need to accept that we'll miss out on a few. Them's the breaks. And that's much better than signing a pile of pish players who, doubtless, would agree to a contract right away as they'll have no other offers elsewhere.

point taken

I'm unsure about it. He looked good against a part-time third division mob, hes 19, we won't get to develop him long term yet we'll expect him to step all the way up to the SPL and contribute to the first team and then lose him again?

If we're contributing next to nothing to his wages fair enough nothing lost at all.

Edited by MWM

Says on BBC Sportsday live that he is returning to New Douglas Park for his loan period.

Says on BBC Sportsday live that he is returning to New Douglas Park for his loan period.

The article they link to reports his destination for his loan as Thistle. BBC's usual attention to detail?

Edited by Tom Hosie

I'm unsure about it. He looked good against a part-time third division mob...

was he the no.7 last night? I thought he wasny great. Took his goals well in the 2nd half right enough, but did little more than lose the ball in the first.

Wesh played a cracker, utterly by the way: looks hungry. And beardy.

That's asking a lot of a 19-yo with 14 SFL1 games as his top level experience.....

What I'm thinking as well. The good thing is he's been training with us from day one so won't be a fish out of water. And it's not really 14 games so much as 14 appearances. We are tho' talking about a player who's played the equivalent of only FIVE full matches last season.

On the face of it Bolton could be the real winners here as Fraser will be near guaranteed playing in the under 20s if he doesn't quite measure up to his full potential right away. Hopefully he's as impressive as reports from last night indicate but it would be more realistic to expect him to be on the periphery of the first team especially in the earlier part of the season. Regardless as loan deals go this one sounds very encouraging.

was he the no.7 last night? I thought he wasny great. Took his goals well in the 2nd half right enough, but did little more than lose the ball in the first.

Wesh played a cracker, utterly by the way: looks hungry. And beardy.

I completely disagree. If Fraser had went off before he scored his 2 goals he still would've done enough to merit being signed if basing it entirely on that one game. His passing and vision were very good all game.

Welsh looked good too granted.

I find this a bit surreal. He plays for Accies, Accies accept a bid from Bolton, he turns them down.

He then asks for to be released from his contract. Accies agree.

He then plays as a trialist for Thistle in our games so far, hoping for a contract.

He then signs for Bolton Wanderers and is reportedly going back, on loan, to Accies (extremely strange).

Then its reported he is being loaned to Thistle for a season.

Is there something I am missing here?

I find this a bit surreal. He plays for Accies, Accies accept a bid from Bolton, he turns them down.

He then asks for to be released from his contract. Accies agree.

He then plays as a trialist for Thistle in our games so far, hoping for a contract.

He then signs for Bolton Wanderers and is reportedly going back, on loan, to Accies (extremely strange).

Then its reported he is being loaned to Thistle for a season.

Is there something I am missing here?

No - think that all sounds about right.

Has this been confirmed anywhere other than a news article that appears to have changed details from one published back in January? The reason Fraser never signed for Bolton at the beginning of the year was due to homesickness worries - if that is the case, I find it hard to believe that worry has diminished in the space of six months.

A bit of a bizarre development which changes the face of the whole possible signing for me. I would rather play our own youngsters than nurture one for another club, especially one who has played as little football as Fraser.