One Word Post - Should Scotland Be An Independent Country? Yes Or No.

The Jukebox Rebel

Independence Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

jb is on record as saying Soctland's not a country it's a region of the UK. That's fair enough. That's his view. Norge, I'm not saying you don't love your country - but you're putting Britain's interests before Scotland's.

yes camp, why answer a question when you can just blow it out and come out with rubbish like that, sad

@ Jukebox Rebel,

The EU considers Scotland to be a region of Europe. It is defined as such by the European Commission and represented as uch in the European Parliamentary elections.

Can you tell us why you oppose an independent Scotland having its own currency and Central Bank? Is that not preferable to Sterling-isation or a currency union with rUK?

Would you support Scotland joining the Eurozone, a condition of EU Membership under the Treaties? If so, why are you putting the EU's supra-national interests before a truly independent Scotland's?

We'll hopefully not be a region for much longer.

Listen, I don't necessarily oppose that idea. A Scottish pound sounds appealing to me - maybe in a decade or two with plenty forward planning and building of reserves. I think the key here is slow, sure and steady. We want as little disruption as possible after Friday. There's going to be plenty to deal with.

Post-negotiations we want to settle as close as possible to where we are now - with the big difference that we are in charge of our own revenues, our own budget allocations and our own decision making.

That's what's best for Scotland.

We'll hopefully not be a region for much longer.

Listen, I don't necessarily oppose that idea. A Scottish pound sounds appealing to me - maybe in a decade or two with plenty forward planning and building of reserves. I think the key here is slow, sure and steady. We want as little disruption as possible after Friday. There's going to be plenty to deal with.

Post-negotiations we want to settle as close as possible to where we are now - with the big difference that we are in charge of our own revenues, our own budget allocations and our own decision making.

That's what's best for Scotland.

A Scottish currency would be illegal if we joined the EU which would force us to join the Eurozone. That would be a huge disruption as well as a massive loss of sovereignty. What do you think will be Scotland's contribution which would reflect the rUk's large increases (conceded by Bliar) and iScotland's oil revenues?

Btw, in the EU we would not control our own revenues and budgets as we would have to meet the convergence criteria for Eurozone entry. We don't know what they will demand, especially the reserve requirements. The outcome could be a fiscal straitjacket that is much worse than the Barnett formula.

kni I've no desire to go round and round in circles about the EU. Sorry pal.

The GBP is not illegal within the EU and our EU entry / terms are not yet clear despite what you say.

I don't see the point to speculating - not to mention the fact that I've never delved in as deeply as you have and would be unable to answer finer points.

As we previously concluded - if negotiations are not to Scotland's benefit then we always have alternative routes to the market. I'm more inclined to believe the EU are enablers and that Scotland will be courted and welcomed - but that is a feeling from absorbing expert views and, I grant you, not categoric.

kni I've no desire to go round and round in circles about the EU. Sorry pal. The GBP is not illegal within the EU and our EU entry / terms are not yet clear despite what you say. I don't see the point to speculating - not to mention the fact that I've never delved in as deeply as you have and would be unable to answer finer points. As we previously concluded - if negotiations are not to Scotland's benefit then we always have alternative routes to the market. I'm more inclined to believe the EU are enablers and that Scotland will be courted and welcomed - but that is a feeling from absorbing expert views and, I grant you, not categoric.

That's an honest answer that I respect. The EU's Treaties are complex but are, however, clear on key issues such as applications, accession and the conditions of entry. The alternative routes in are very limited. Another key factor is power of the Spanish and they will, sadly, do anything to stop Catalonian independence. I will support the Catalonians totally if they leave the EU and the Eurozone.

Btw, are you opposed to iScotland joining the EU, UN, IMF, WTO and World Bank? As a supporter of real independence I do but suspect that the globalists in the SNP would sell out to them.

I recall, when devolution and the Scottish Parliament was proposed, some people were up in arms at the thought of "yet another layer of Government" to be funded by the taxpayer.

They should now look on Independence as a way to remove one (hugely expensive) layer of government - Westminster.

That, at least, has to save us all a few Bawbees...

I recall, when devolution and the Scottish Parliament was proposed, some people were up in arms at the thought of "yet another layer of Government" to be funded by the taxpayer.

They should now look on Independence as a way to remove one (hugely expensive) layer of government - Westminster.

That, at least, has to save us all a few Bawbees...

I'd prefer to remove the other hugely expensive layers of government too - the EU, NATO, IMF, WTO and UN. Why should we fight other countries wars?

Thanks, I thought I loved my country but just had a different opinion on how it would be best served in this debate so I am grateful you were able to let me know that I am in fact a selfish individual who is putting self interest (not sure what I am gaining) before the needs of the country! That is the thing that has annoyed me the most in this debate - the Yes campaign labelling those of are in the No campaign as not caring about Scotland.

Except I didn't actually say that. What I said was this:

Many, not all but many, of those individuals, organisations and newspapers who support a No vote have their own vested interests heart rather than what is good for Scotland.

So I clearly wasn't referring to you specifically.

Anyway, I am away to exercise my democratic right. In the words of a man far greater than I, may your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.

Best wishes, everybody. :)

Finally...

Voted no this morning (first time I've ever voted early...).

Brisk voting in cloudy Kilbarchan. Felt the significance of the moment of putting the cross on the ballot. Two sons voting for this first time (one in his school uniform who met other pals voting).

My overwhelming feeling at the moment is of treasuring democracy and being prepared to stand by the result whatever it is.

Went and voted. Great thing is the polling station is like a minutes walk.

Met some Yes and No supporters yesterday.

Must say one group were very knowledgeable about what they were talking about and the other knew absolutely feck all!!

One group were willing to put up to the challenges of the questions I asked, especially once I told them about my Uni politics and economics studies, and genuinely enjoyed the challenge thereafter whilst the other, sadly, were, well, lets just say they really do need to work on debating skills as shouting and name-calling is not really a form of debate and they really need to realise that what they think is fact in their head is not really fact unless you have done your research, etc.

Anyway, whatever the outcome I do hope Scotland can become a better place to live, but, I have my fears which I hope are wrong.

:ph34r:

Congratulations to the "no" camapaign. I still feel that too many people are content to believe lies and do what they are told to do by millionaires at Westminster who don't give a monkey's about them, but that's democracy.

Onto tonight's game.... let's compound the misery for Paisley!

Change is coming, but I think having a game of football to go to today is perfect.

Looking for a Higgs hatrick this evening.

Feels like a new year hang-over and all the Thistle relegations rolled into one. Proud to be a Glaswegian this morning and hats off to the people in the former Labour strong-holds of Dundee, North Lanarkshire and West Dunbartonshire for having the balls to challenge the establishment. I suppose you have to credit Brown for rallying the forces of the No side. We can all get behind the team tonight, aye, mon the Higgy!

We shall overcome one day.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the "no" camapaign. I still feel that too many people are content to believe lies and do what they are told to do by millionaires at Westminster who don't give a monkey's about them, but that's democracy.

Onto tonight's game.... let's compound the misery for Paisley!

The millionaires who told me to vote YES wouldn't have a worry if it all went tits up

Not getting the answers from the YES campaign on how it would all work sealed it for me.

Better together :happy2: