Players Coming Off Twitter

ian_mac

Because of new rules regarding social media apparently.

Personally I think this is a wise move by whoever called it. Footballers seem to be getting themselves in to trouble on twitter on a daily basis now. There are guys like Conrad who use it very effectively, increasing their popularity among the fans. But then there are guys like Paton, who do themselves no favours.

Hope that it doesn't have an adverse effect on morale, but they are a professional bunch of guys so I don't expect that to be a problem.

Agree with the two posts above, I think twitter played a big part in the fans/players unity of last season, ending with #wegotthis. Agree with having a policy on this, and this may be taken with expectation of more negative results next season than last, but think the club could have allowed the players to continue using it as long as there were guidelines on what can/can't be posted.

Balatoni tweeted saying there is a ban from 6pm Fri to 9 am Sunday on tweeting,

A joke from the club. The players tweeting saying their looking forward to the game or tweeting to say "sorry about the result" does no harm.

There adults and should be allowed to use twitter as they like.

This is almost as bad as people complaining the player tweeted about going to Nandos too often!

Stupid and disappointing decision from the club again.

But what about if they inadvertently give away who is playing or who is carrying an injury that hands an advantage to the opposition

That was my view of it. I don't think the players are being told to delete it, just to be careful what they post. There's going to be more of a media focus on us and all it takes is a drunk tweet or a heat of the moment tweet from a player that will get them in trouble. I seem to remember Sinclair criticising the ref a few seasons ago; if someone did something similar next season surely that would get them in trouble with the SFA?

Edited by Santana

Really should be a similar policy to the NFLs where a player cant use social media 90 mins before or after the game and cant talk about the game for a certain number of days before it (things like injury situations etc)

Heard murmurings this may be a new SPFL policy across all teams from the usually good Hibs source in work as he thinks this may apply to their players as well.

Twitter has been sent to curse humanity. Already newspapers will too often simply give a headline, then trawl through various celebs' comments on twitter, post a few, and present the "article" as "news". No real analysis, no real research, no substance. A cross between old confetti and litter.

Rant over.

Twitter has been sent to curse humanity. Already newspapers will too often simply give a headline, then trawl through various celebs' comments on twitter, post a few, and present the "article" as "news". No real analysis, no real research, no substance. A cross between old confetti and litter.

Rant over.

This times a billion.

agree with this decision, if only to protect the players.

The relationship between fans and players increased 10 fold due to their use of social media. of course this was easy when we were winning every week.

But look at the abuse Paton got for bettering his career, its very easy to rewrite history and claim Paton to be some bad boy of twitter, when all he did was post a wind up or two, which a few gullible folk fell for. he's the pantomime baddy now, ironically no one has mentioned the picture he put up the other week of his framed thistle kit, boots and Dunfy programme. posted whilst a dundee united player.

the fact is, we could go on a 5 game loosing run and all that good work done last season is gone, thanks to a couple of drunken idiots deciding they have the right to abuse players on social media.