Patons Comments

Vinnyjag

Paul Paton up to his usual tricks in today's Record. quote " quite simply if it wasn't for Jackie Partick Thistle wouldn't have won the league"

Apart from being an nonsense statement it's disrespectful to Archie and Shaggy.

Well, he does have a point. as much as everyone looks back on McCall through rose tinted glasses, we weren't actually that good. How many years into his 5 year plan were we?

McNamara changed that, got the players left over to play entertaining, attacking football and brought players in to compliment those at the club, already. he also turned Paton into a footballer.

we probably wouldn't have been title contenders under another manager. McNamara instilled an attitude in the players that they were going to win the league, not just that we could be contenders, but that we were going to win it.

if you think it's disrespectful to our current manager's, thats up to you, though i haven't seen the full quote, or article

• Like 1

Paul Paton up to his usual tricks in today's Record. quote " quite simply if it wasn't for Jackie Partick Thistle wouldn't have won the league"

Apart from being an nonsense statement it's disrespectful to Archie and Shaggy.

Don't expect footballers to be clever, their brains are in their feet, as the saying goes. Let's give Macnamara his due, though - he set up a system of play and brought in some players who played in the system very well, notably Muirhead, O'Donnell, Sinclair, Forbes and Lawless. The other players we had on the books, Balatoni, Paton, Bannigan, Erskine and Doolan, suited the system perfectly and away we went. Could another manager have done the same thing? Probably, but only if they were coming at it from a more modern view of the game, so rule out the usual suspects who sit on the Scottish football manager merry-go-round. But, and it's a big But, Macnamara's away record was appalling -anyone remember the Dumbarton game? - and I genuinely believe that Morton would have won the league if he'd stayed in charge. Archibald has still got a lot to prove, but the impression he's giving so far is that he's absolutely his own man - he's not going to make any decisions simply as crowd pleasers, he's going to do what he thinks is best. Time will tell if he'll be successful, but I've a feeling that Paton's comments might just look a bit silly in a couple of years...

• Like 1

Said before it worked out better with him leaving in January. Regardless of whether we'd won the league or not if he'd stayed on we could well be preparing for the season coming without a manager. It's as likely as not he'd have left us on a moment's notice. Archie or whoever was appointed would have a race against time putting a squad together. Plus I doubt with the uncertainty a change of manger brings we'd have most of our key players extending their contracts.

It all worked out well in the end. Whether we'd have won the league or not without McNamara is secondary to the fact we wouldn't have won the league without Archie. By that I mean, good squad or not, I couldn't see an outsider coming in and getting anywhere near the results we got after McNamara left.

• Like 1

Based solely on the way Paul Paton thinks I onder why he didn't say:

"If it wasn't for me being injured during the run in then Thistle wouldn't have won the league!"

Incidentally, I see McNaratma in the papers also talking about the use of social media & players being abused on it...

The mind boggles!!

McNamara and Donnelly deserve credit for signing and improving players. O'Donnell, Muirhead and Welsh are now key members of the squad. Craig made an important contribution to winning the leeague. Paton, Balatoni and Bannigan progressed substantially.

Our away form deteriorated in late 2012/January 2013. We were fortunate that McNamara and Donnelly left when they did. Archie and Shaggy were able to improve the defence and we had an incredible run. And they had a fog machine at Cowdenbeath too.

The real beneficiary of Paton's absence was Craigen who benefited hugely from a decent run in the team. There's no point getting in wound up by Paton. Leave it to the likes Shuggy Murray to sort him out in three weeks time!

It's been talked to death this subject but I think if I was asked who deserves most credit for us winning the league then it has to be McNamara. He transformed the club from mediocre to winners - with a very small budget. Sport science and psychology, bringing in the right players, creating an attractive footballing team were all why we won the league.

However, I think it's quite obvious we wouldn't of actually won the league under McNamara. So Archie definitely takes credit for changing us into a more solid team that was needed to push us on. But can't deny McNamaras management is why we are in the SPFL.

Looking forward to seeing Paton in the top tier. Hope he does well or it reflects poorly on us. Always wish our ex players, that have done us a good turn, well.

• Like 2

To be honest I think Paton will do OK in the SPL. One thing tho' he has against him where I sense he could come unstuck will be on the number of cards he could pick up. His record latterly with us was relatively good much I feel because his pace and mobility had improved. Up against faster, fitter and more aware players he could easily become more reckless. Combine that with his ability to get carded for sillyness and there could be a problem.