Tony Watt And Dylan Mcgeogh

Mediocre Pundit

Apparently both of the above are to be loaned out at the start of the season. Could this potentially solve our striker and attacking midfielder issues on the cheap(ish)? I have no idea how much we'd need to pay for them, and our Celtic connections have obviously reduced now McNamara is in Dundee, but being Glasgow based, and in the SPL, would surely make this a convenient loan for both parties.

Thoughts?

Apparently both of the above are to be loaned out at the start of the season. Could this potentially solve our striker and attacking midfielder issues on the cheap(ish)? I have no idea how much we'd need to pay for them, and our Celtic connections have obviously reduced now McNamara is in Dundee, but being Glasgow based, and in the SPL, would surely make this a convenient loan for both parties.

Thoughts?

I don't know how happy celtic would be about sending players out on loan to a team in the same division as them and even if it were to happen you would run the risk of celtic not allowing these players to be used in clashes between us & them.

I don't know how happy celtic would be about sending players out on loan to a team in the same division as them and even if it were to happen you would run the risk of celtic not allowing these players to be used in clashes between us & them.

They loaned Toshney to Dundee and Blackman to Inverness last season so it wouldn't really be an issue for them, especially with no real competition for the league. I don't really see the issue with not being able to play the players on loan in a few games a season as long as they were good enough to bring quality to the team for the rest of the season

• Like 2

Thoughts?

My thoughts are: yes please and yes please!

Watt has pace to burn and looks like he can score goals. McGeogh is a left-sided attacking midfielder, I think, so could go some way towards filling the Erskine shaped gap in our midfield.

The only problem is, there are bound to be plenty of other clubs in the SPL interested in them.

What's the new ruling for loans between SPFL premier clubs?

Certainly Tony Watt would be a better loanee than the T Watt we had from them last season.

:lol:

Striker Tony Watt will be allowed to go on loan to another club if Celtic receive a suitable offer.

Full story: The Sun

That'll be a no to us then.

It depends on how Celtic defines a "suitable" offer. The definition could be non-financial, e.g. playing regularly at a certain level. However, it's possible, or even likely, that Championship clubs would be interested.

If they go on loan Lennon will want them playing every week and not warming a bench. Could we guarantee them a starting place every week?

Surely no player whether loan signing or not can ever be guaranteed a starting place every week. Everything comes down to ability, form, fitness and attitude.

Surely no player whether loan signing or not can ever be guaranteed a starting place every week. Everything comes down to ability, form, fitness and attitude.

You'd like to think so. And yet yon wee h un runt Lennon showed none of those when he arrived at Firhill, but McCall insisted on playing him. I still believe that his parachuting into the team that year largely caused our challenge to fizzle out.

Agreed. And pushing Damon Gray out of the team to make room for Lennon caused Damon's confidence and form to dip, and indeed neither recovered.

A lesson from that would be don't bring in two loan players to contend for a similar position. I think in the real world you're supposed to play loanees as much as possible otherwise you can be cutting off a future source. From what i remember of the time folk maybe criticised McCall for doubling up on loan players but I don't believe there was many, if indeed any,that disputed Lennon's perceived potential.

As it was Gray perhaps was in the throes of giving up on a career at Hibs and was maybe looking to impress us into signing him. Lennon on the other hand had his heid in the clouds and thought himself too good for us. Difficult decision for McCall to make re who to play and without the benefit of hindsight I can't blame him picking a guy who was so much faster and better balanced (in football terms) than Gray. Can't fault McCall for selecting SL but huge mistake was having two loan players at the same time Gray was with us first so Lennon should have been knocked back