Zatafact? 141 Seasons Of The Indomitable P T F C

:ptfc:6000 League Goals

344tvh4.jpg

^ Davie Ness, 97 goals (first 24.09.1923, last 11.08.1934, 96 competitive)

# 2000 - Davie Ness

Wed-02-Sep-1931 Cowdenbeath [h] W5-1 (Att: 5,000)

A 60th minute cross from John Simpson is headed home by the prolific Davie Ness to put Thistle 2-1 ahead. Jags go Top 5 after this one.

34rdrif.jpg

^ Alex Wright, 86 goals (first 29.10.1949, last 25.03.1961, 81 competitive)

# 3000 - Alex Wright

Sat-10-Apr-1954 Hamilton Academical [h] W4-0 (Att: 7,000)

You know you're having a great season when you go 5th in April, as was the case after this one. The 3,000th League goal is an Alex Wright header from a Peter McKennan cross in 18 minutes which gives Thistle a 1-0 HT lead. Within a few short weeks, Meiklejohn's excellent Thistle team would cement a 3rd place Top Flight finish for the second time, repeating his magnificent achievement of 1947-48. This time it was made all the more special by the fact that, for the very first time, we had conquered the Rangers in the final Scottish League table.

ejc6s.jpg

^ Frank Coulston, 82 goals (first 07.10.1967, last 12.10.1974, 78 competitive)

# 4000 - Frank Coulston

Mon-03-Jan-1972 Airdrieonians [h] W4-2 (Att: 8,500)

Our League Cup heroes were doing just grand in their first season back in the Top Flight and stayed in 8th place after coming from behind to win this Monday afternoon game. Frank Coulston's 87th minute goal completed the scoring for the day and secured the New Years Holiday victory and, in doing so, he duly cemented his place as our fourth League Goal millenialist.

ejc6s.jpg

^ Frank Coulston, 82 goals (first 07.10.1967, last 12.10.1974, 78 competitive)

# 4000 - Frank Coulston

Mon-03-Jan-1972 Airdrieonians [h] W4-2 (Att: 8,500)

Our League Cup heroes were doing just grand in their first season back in the Top Flight and stayed in 8th place after coming from behind to win this Monday afternoon game. Frank Coulston's 87th minute goal completed the scoring for the day and secured the New Years Holiday victory and, in doing so, he duly cemented his place as our fourth League Goal millenialist.

That's a great picture of Coulston and the old north terracing with its roof.

mdWsIoHeMG1RBc75S3NxThg.jpg

^ Ray Farningham, 16 goals (first 14.09.1991, last 04.05.1993, 16 competitive)

# 5000 - Ray Farningham

Sat-15-Feb-1992 Ayr United [h] W4-1 (Att: 3,073)

Jags maintained 2nd spot in a thrilling 1st Division promotion race with a ruthless display against George Burley's men. Ray Farningham slotted home Geordie Shaw's rebounded volley to put Thistle 2-0 ahead in 48 minutes and in doing so netted League goal No. 5000. Hamilton ran us all the way to the wire but we held on to that second spot all the way to the very last second of the season's nailbiting finale.

That's a great picture of Coulston and the old north terracing with its roof.

Isn't it just? I'm trying to find out the first and last game dates of the "North Shed" but it's proving to be a tricky task so far. From firm "photie evidence" I can see that it at least existed on 26th August 1959 - evidenced via photie from the game v Celtic (history book p.85) and on 18th October 1969 - evidenced via photie from the game v Raith Rovers (ptfcnet.co.uk). Any further evidence would be most welcome.

22544994.jpg

^ Kris Doolan, 65 goals (first 24.01.2009, last 07.12.2013, 60 competitive)

# 6000 - Kris Doolan

Sat-07-Dec-2013 Hibernian [a] D1-1 (Att: 10,431)

Kris Doolan was the man for a Tour D'Ecosse landmark goal in 2013. Having already bagged Thistle's first ever Pemiership goal in Dingwall in August and the goals which secured our 1,000th Top Flight win in Inverness in October, our instinctive marksman added the title of "6th Thistle League millenialist" when he put Thistle ahead against Hibernian, early in the second half of this December game in Edinburgh. From a great first touch on the halfway line he burst clear of his marker, jinked between two, and finished with a Messi-esque dink over the Hibs goalie. I can’t claim to have seen all six of the Thistle millennial goals but I’d surprised if this wasn’t the finest of the lot. What a way to hit the landmark. Sublime!

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1

Isn't it just? I'm trying to find out the first and last game dates of the "North Shed" but it's proving to be a tricky task so far. From firm "photie evidence" I can see that it at least existed on 26th August 1959 - evidenced via photie from the game v Celtic (history book p.85) and on 18th October 1969 - evidenced via photie from the game v Raith Rovers (ptfcnet.co.uk). Any further evidence would be most welcome.

The greyhound racing at Firhill went on until at least the late 40s (see link below). As the wee roof was there to protect the punters and the bookies' booths that used to run along the back wall, I'd guess it must have been there from at least shortly after the end of WWII. No idea when it actually did get built, though.

http://www.edinburgh...es/123/page.pdf

ETA: This old photo, taken between 1944 and 1950 is pre-shed. It looks like there might be a wee cover going the length of the north terracing, but it was narrow, and it's too hard be be certain from the photie.

http://canmore.rcahm...d+firhill+park/

On a roll now….. This report is of a fire in the main stand at Firhill, where the club offices now are. Dated 1938, it's clear that the greyhound were already established at Firhill then. It's mentioned that there were kennels either in or beside the stadium. Anybody know any more?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19380507&id=90FAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jFkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3221,1163825

Edited by Jaggernaut

22544994.jpg

^ Kris Doolan, 65 goals (first 24.01.2009, last 07.12.2013, 60 competitive)

# 6000 - Kris Doolan

Sat-07-Dec-2013 Hibernian [a] D1-1 (Att: 10,431)

Kris Doolan was the man for a Tour D'Ecosse landmark goal in 2013. Having already bagged Thistle's first ever Pemiership goal in Dingwall in August and the goals which secured our 1,000th Top Flight win in Inverness in October, our instinctive marksman added the title of "6th Thistle League millenialist" when he put Thistle ahead against Hibernian, early in the second half of this December game in Edinburgh. From a great first touch on the halfway line he burst clear of his marker, jinked between two, and finished with a Messi-esque dink over the Hibs goalie. I can’t claim to have seen all six of the Thistle millennial goals but I’d surprised if this wasn’t the finest of the lot. What a way to hit the landmark. Sublime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyfjshfgrjc

Great "commentary" by the wean watching the video clip!

Cheers Jaggernaut, all evidence added to the case file. :detective:

From that pdf I note that the Firhill Greyhound Co. was liquidated in February 1957 which would suggest they were still going close to that time?

That would seem right; maybe some older posters would know for sure.

Didn't the old Evening Times used to have greyhound racing lists on the inside back page? That might be a source of info. Wish I had plenty of free time to potter around the Mitchell Library!

Hey - I'm on YouTube ! I'm one of the loonies in the still on the link.. :crazy:

If Ray Farningham scored the 5000th in 1992, then I've seen a thousand Jags goals (apart from a few games I've missed, I suppose)

because 1992 was when I started following the team.

Thanks to all the Jags goal scorers over these years. :clapping:

That would seem right; maybe some older posters would know for sure.

Didn't the old Evening Times used to have greyhound racing lists on the inside back page? That might be a source of info. Wish I had plenty of free time to potter around the Mitchell Library!

Evening Times archive

Going from the link, last day of racing was 19th January, 1957.

Looking at some of the rest of the paper I noticed that Thistle have refused to release players for an up and coming Under 23 game. Who do we think we are; The Old Firm?

I noticed that Firhill was being used on the Saturday for an international junior match.

It seems a bit sad that the old stadium has gone from being a well-used, multi-purpose facility to one that is now only used for Jags matches every couple of weeks.

:ptfc: 6000 League Goals

nq65x0.jpg

^ Willie Paul, 188 goals (first 31.01.1885, last 23.02.1901, 107 competitive)

# 1 - Willie Paul

Sat-19-Aug-1893 Morton [a] W3-2 (Att: 2,000)

On a sunny day in Greenock just over 120 years ago, we got off to a flyer in our inaugural Scottish Football League match with two early goals and a third just before half-time giving us a 3 goal interval cushion. The travelling Partickonians were in dreamland! I reported the other month that Willie Paul had scored the decisive winner in our first Top Flight win against Hearts in 1897. The odds were skinny that it'd be our all-time second highest goalscorer (and first ever internationalist) who'd be the man in the right place to net Thistle's first ever SFL goal ;-)

On the Jaggy Advent thread I posted Willie Paul's Wiki page. It states there that he is buried at the Western Necropolis. I just wonder if any of our Cadder boys have ever come across his grave and does it mention his footballing days? Are there any other Jags legends out there similarly marked graves?

Feeling really ancient because I reckon I've seen all these back to Alex Wright in 1954 ( Doolan's No. 6000 courtesy of BBC Alba !) Quite a thought- how can I possibly have survived the roller-coaster that is involved in following the Jags and (in my own opinion) remained relatively(!) sane ?

Feeling really ancient because I reckon I've seen all these back to Alex Wright in 1954 ( Doolan's No. 6000 courtesy of BBC Alba !) Quite a thought- how can I possibly have survived the roller-coaster that is involved in following the Jags and (in my own opinion) remained relatively(!) sane ?

It's all a dream!

Evening Times archive

Going from the link, last day of racing was 19th January, 1957.

Great find. If the reporter is correct, and I'm assuming that the Firhill Greyhound Company only ever ran at Firhill, all at once it could be surmised that we housed the dog racing from 20th January 1932 to 19th January 1957. Nice bit of Jaggy trivia. This would also place Firhill ten months before Shawfield in this regard. Whodathunkit?

Jaggy trivia # 7182

It’s quite a well known that Clyde lodged at Firhill for 5 seasons during their 8 season spell as Nomads in the 80s and 90s. It’s not quite so well known that this was the second such instance in their history. Fire had destroyed much of Shawfield in September 1914 and they played home matches that season on several different grounds. In December, we played our away game against them at Celtic Park. One fixture on 20th March 1915 stands out in particular - Clyde 3 Ayr United 1 at… Firhill. Once a gypo always a gypo!