Youth Team Reports........

Aldo81

Partick Thistle Under 14's took on Cowdenbeath yesterday and started the match really well then had mad 10min spell to let opposition back into the match but some of the football this team play is great to watch and at one stage showed an excellent show of keeping the ball with a staggering amount of 37 passes and only the Cowdenbeath goalkeeper making a great save stopped it from being an excellent finish. Now 2 wins in 2 for this squad but most importantly the football they are playing at times is a joy to watch. Tough one next weekend against Dumbarton who have strengthened considerably over the summer.

Partick Thistle Under 14's took on Cowdenbeath yesterday and started the match really well then had mad 10min spell to let opposition back into the match but some of the football this team play is great to watch and at one stage showed an excellent show of keeping the ball with a staggering amount of 37 passes and only the Cowdenbeath goalkeeper making a great save stopped it from being an excellent finish. Now 2 wins in 2 for this squad but most importantly the football they are playing at times is a joy to watch. Tough one next weekend against Dumbarton who have strengthened considerably over the summer.

Not seen any of the youth games but its great to get up to date reports from guys like yourself and Bilko to keep us posted of how they are getting on :thumbsup2:

Sounds like the youth teams have plenty of potential for the future

37 passes Aldo?

Do they think they are Barca or do Barca think they are Thistles 14's? :lol:

Seriously it was another decent performance by the boys and again a joy to watch some of the football they are playing just now.

They got off to good start going 2-0 up but Cowdenbeath got back into it levelling at 2-2 but the boys stepped it up a gear and won very comfortably in the end by a big margin.

Bigger tests to come but if they play as they are doing just now they will be more than a match for any of them.

Looking forward already to next week for the Dumbarton game.

Official report from the main site (other age group reports of the other matches are also on the main site)

http://ptfc.co.uk/teams/u14/seasons/2013-2014/fixtures_results/2508_cowdenbeath_u14

good to see our young teams doing well and banging in the goals this weekend. keep the reports coming.

under 15s ..... won 8-4

under 14s ..... won 11-3

under 13s ..... won 19-0

the under 12s and 11s could do with updates though. nothing for this season updated yet.

good to see our young teams doing well and banging in the goals this weekend. keep the reports coming.

under 15s ..... won 8-4

under 14s ..... won 11-3

under 13s ..... won 19-0

the under 12s and 11s could do with updates though. nothing for this season updated yet.

Think these age groups are still playing 7 a sides and like the U13's are new teams just put together and playing their first seasons together.

I watched alot of the U13's match against East Fife and it was a total mismatch.

As long as the young boys are developing as players and individuals the results come low down in my priorities.

From the reports I've read - both on OS and here from punters who've watched them play, it seems we are trying to play the same system and style of football throughout all the teams. This is the right thing to do (IMO) as it will make it easier for them if/when they eventually make it to the big team. I also find it encouraging as it suggests we are committed long term to playing an attractive style of football. I believe the idea is we can't win all the trophies bigger clubs do but we can have a team that's worth going to see.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I also find it encouraging as it suggests we are committed long term to playing an attractive style of football.

I'm encouraged by that too. I'd hope whenever Archie moves on (for whatever reason), if our next appointment is external then he's brought in under the condition that we play a similar style. Similar to the way Swansea have instilled their playing style into the club rather than just one manager's philosophy (Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup). In the hope that this spectacular football we've been watching since last season doesn't end abruptly.

As long as the young boys are developing as players and individuals the results come low down in my priorities.

The development is more important than results but the problem is getting the teams playing teams at a level that will develop the boys better.

Scorelines like the U13's game against East Fife won't do anyone much good on either side.

Competitive football is still important even at younger ages as it would determine the level each team are at and maybe they can then set up leagues where teams are more closer together regards ability etc and prevent mismatches.

From the reports I've read - both on OS and here from punters who've watched them play, it seems we are trying to play the same system and style of football throughout all the teams. This is the right thing to do (IMO) as it will make it easier for them if/when they eventually make it to the big team. I also find it encouraging as it suggests we are committed long term to playing an attractive style of football. I believe the idea is we can't win all the trophies bigger clubs do but we can have a team that's worth going to see.

I believe the Thistle youth set up will get better and better and will hopefully produce some talented boys for the first team in the future.

I'm encouraged by that too. I'd hope whenever Archie moves on (for whatever reason), if our next appointment is external then he's brought in under the condition that we play a similar style. Similar to the way Swansea have instilled their playing style into the club rather than just one manager's philosophy (Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup). In the hope that this spectacular football we've been watching since last season doesn't end abruptly.

This is always a worry if any new manager comes in and changes things but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Kenny Shiels isn't everyones cup of tea but he believed in youth development and gave boys a chance and watched as many youth games as he could which doesn't happen often.

Already a few down Killie way are worried the new manager won't be the same with what they have seen so far so things can change at clubs very quickly depending who is in charge.

Disappointing day at Milton for our under 14s who where beaten by the odd goal against Dumbarton. Despite coming back from 4-1 down the young jags were caught out on the break as they pushed for a winner. Thistle went into the game with only 12 fit players and with a heavy wind making playing football near impossible this suited Dumbarton who were strong physical side who to be fair didn't want to play football but done the ugly side of the game well. Without making excuses for our boys the injuries,conditions and some unbelievable refereeing decisions(you had to see to believe) all played into there opponents hands but this squad can and try to play football the way it should be played and must take this minor blip on the chin and move on. Next week boys face difficult trip to Livingston who were only beaten once last season,funnily enough by Thistle,and hopefully couple of injured boys will be back and boys get back to playing the way we know they can,after all you cant get any worse conditions than they face at Milton!

Disappointing day at Milton for our under 14s who where beaten by the odd goal against Dumbarton. Despite coming back from 4-1 down the young jags were caught out on the break as they pushed for a winner. Thistle went into the game with only 12 fit players and with a heavy wind making playing football near impossible this suited Dumbarton who were strong physical side who to be fair didn't want to play football but done the ugly side of the game well. Without making excuses for our boys the injuries,conditions and some unbelievable refereeing decisions(you had to see to believe) all played into there opponents hands but this squad can and try to play football the way it should be played and must take this minor blip on the chin and move on. Next week boys face difficult trip to Livingston who were only beaten once last season,funnily enough by Thistle,and hopefully couple of injured boys will be back and boys get back to playing the way we know they can,after all you cant get any worse conditions than they face at Milton!

Spot on Aldo and conditions just didn't suit us today.

Dumbarton also playing the overage player in midfield tells you how deperate they wanted to win this fixture and embarrassing a team will do this when they have a full selection of subs who are the correct age which prevents these boys getting game time.

The boys who were missing today through injury are key players and were a big miss but the boys did well considering the very poor start to the game going 2 nil down in the first period.

Physically they were no match for Dumbarton for long periods of the game but football wise they were better and development football for me should always be about the football.

When they got it back to 4-4 i thought they would score more and were winning the battles all over the pitch but they got caught on the break with Dumbartons direct style of play.

The boys will just need to get over it and learn from this game and continue as they are doing which is playing football that is great to watch at times.

Livy will be wanting to get one over Thistle after the young Jags beating them well at the end of last season so next week will be another big test for them.

Growing up in Milton or in true Milton parlance The Milton I've had many a disappointing day there also. However, it is good to know that the Jags are finally making in roads in truly developing a youth policy. As for worse conditions in the Milton, try playing on St. Augustine's grass pitch in the 70's.
  • Like 1

Growing up in Milton or in true Milton parlance The Milton I've had many a disappointing day there also. However, it is good to know that the Jags are finally making in roads in truly developing a youth policy. As for worse conditions in the Milton, try playing on St. Augustine's grass pitch in the 70's.

Never had the pleasure to play in that St Augustines pitch :) but the grass pitches at Milton are pretty decent but the boys play on the 3g pitch which isn't great.

It's always usually windy up in Milton and blows across the pitch making it difficult for both teams especially on this faster artificial surface.

As for the youth set up it's on the up that's for sure and will get better in the future which is the way to go.

Edited by billko

Livingston 1 Partick Thistle 3 (U 14's)

Another good display from the young Jags through at Almondvale against a team who are very good at this age group.

Again the boys played some good football and with the injuries in the team a few of the boys played out of position but still put in good performances.

Livy started the stronger with the young Jags soaking up the pressure but soon got into it and started to put Livy on the backfoot.

Chances were squandered at either end and some good defending from both sides kept the scoring low.

Livy's keeper was far the busier and pulled off some great saves.

After Thistle going a goal up against the run of play Livy pulled one back but two second half goals gave the young Jags a deserved win.

Another injury to (Aldo 81's) lad after taking a late challenge from the opposing centre back who had been pushed forward to CF to try and salvage the game for Livy and it went unpunished. :mad:

Thistle had to see out the rest of the game with a makeshift defence as our CB who was having a great game couldn't contnue (Hope it's nothing serious and is back playing as soon as possible)

Best chances at the end though were for the young Jags but again the Livy keeper saved well.

Home against ICT next week which will be another test for them but one they will all look forward to.

Aw bollocks. I'd have popped down to watch that if I'd remembered.

Good to hear we had a positive result and performance.

My missus felt the same but that was because i told her we were right next to that big shopping centre and she didn't go. :D

The U17's were on after the U14's and they also got a good result beating Livy 4-2

Good day for both teams today.

Glad to report my lad fine and trained all week. Turns out that the ankle pads on his shinguards saved him from probable broken ankle. Tackle was a mile late and over the top but credit to the lad for coming over to make sure he was ok as soon as the final whistle went.

• Like 1