How Do Du Afford It?

cyprusjag

• Members

I think the Millions they've earned from transfers out (Goodwillie, Russell) have helped enormously. Ditching a lot of their higher earners from last season (including their manager) and signing guys from lower divisions on wages that although way better than they were used to at their former lower league level, are still way lower than those that have departed has helped enormously. And they've been in the SPL for a fair number of years consistently now.

They've tightened their belts but their budget is still light years ahead of us. I'd be delighted if we could survive in the top league for the next 5 seasons. Spending power increases and your Club becomes more attractive for good players to sign for them. If we can finish at worst 10th and then progress that next season that would be great. We've a good young team that if they keep their heads screwed on, they will all progress and become better players (hopefully with the Jags). So I'd say it's really important not to get on their backs this season on what is going to be a season of learning for most of our squad.

• Like 1

Almost all of their home crowd are season tickets holders, meaning they have guaranteed and early income each year. And check out their website; first thing that comes up is an advert for a highlights DVD for last season ... what a good idea to make some money, eh?

A bigger mystery to me is why a seaside league team like Kilmarnock have been in the top flight since 1993, and continue to be. People complain about the small crowds Inverness get compared to their success, but Killie are just an insult.

Edited by peagreenboy
  • Like 1

Peagreenboy makes a good point. How on earth Killie survive year on year is beyond me. Their crowds are horrendous yet they seem to plod on every year paying not too bad wages either I think.

I am also astounded that Killie have survived in the top flight for so long. But it comes down to this - their club has been run reasonably well and they've had a big slice of luck on a few occasions.

Let's not forget that in the last 20 years they've won the Scottish Cup and been in Europe a few times, as well as surviving in the top flight.

Looks as if things off the park have taken a turn for the worse now at Rugby Park if their fans are to be believed, and if St. Mirren get their house in order then it could well be Killie's year.

Was wondering on Saturday how do Killie who are about £9m in debt manage offer Craig Samson more money than ST Mirren who have virtually no debt. If Killie ever go down they are in deep deep trouble .

Might not have to wait that long. Speaking to a guy I work with who runs one of the Killie Supporters clubs - thinks they could be in administration by Christmas.

Fans boycotting, crowds of under 3,000, massive debts and a chairman who wants £2m to sell-up doesnt really add up.

their club has been run reasonably well

You must be joking. They have a ridiculous level of debt for a club that size and would probably have been liquidated if they had been relegated on the last day a few seasons ago rather than dodging the bullet. The luck bit I can accept: latest piece of that is the Jambos hitting the skids and being on a 15pt penalty which virtually guarantees them not finishing bottom. But that doesn't last forever.

Twitter, the bastion of accuracy.

Indeed, but it is certainly a possibility. Johnston voted against ditching poor wee Rangers on economic grounds. They have been teetering on the brink economically for a good while and their crowds thus far must be well below what they have budgeted for. They could easily run out of cash to pay wages and tax/NI.

If they went into admin, they would get a 15pt deduction and be 4 points behind Hearts on the current table. Why the SPFL don't just invite KPMG or BDO to sponsor the league is beyond me.

• Like 1

Was wondering on Saturday how do Killie who are about £9m in debt manage offer Craig Samson more money than ST Mirren who have virtually no debt. If Killie ever go down they are in deep deep trouble .

Samson, Boyd reportedly on c £150k a year, I expect that they are bankrolling the majority of Gardyne's wages, a player who IMO was instrumental in turning round K*ll*e's fortunes on Saturday.

You must be joking. They have a ridiculous level of debt for a club that size and would probably have been liquidated if they had been relegated on the last day a few seasons ago rather than dodging the bullet. The luck bit I can accept: latest piece of that is the Jambos hitting the skids and being on a 15pt penalty which virtually guarantees them not finishing bottom. But that doesn't last forever.

They may have their debts which are catching up with them now, but the stats speak for themselves.

20 years continuously in the top flight, A scottish cup win, and a good few appearances in Europe.

Compare that to us, in that time. 4 seasons spent in the 3rd tier, no finals and not even a hint of a European place.

Killie may be on the verge of some hard times now but they must have been doing something right for the last 20 years. Like it or lump it.

They may have their debts which are catching up with them now, but the stats speak for themselves.

20 years continuously in the top flight, A scottish cup win, and a good few appearances in Europe.

Compare that to us, in that time. 4 seasons spent in the 3rd tier, no finals and not even a hint of a European place.

Killie may be on the verge of some hard times now but they must have been doing something right for the last 20 years. Like it or lump it.

Something right? They've over-achieved by over-spending. If we were willing to get 10 million in debt then I'm sure we could hit european places and perhaps win a cup.

Something right? They've over-achieved by over-spending. If we were willing to get 10 million in debt then I'm sure we could hit european places and perhaps win a cup.

No, we just got into 2 million in debt and sold off half our stadium to bounce around the lower leagues for years and years and enjoy Dick Campbell being in charge.

I'll believe administration when I see it.

Even if they do go in to administration, history tells us that they'll probably come out of it unscathed.

Dunfermline got relegated but they really did have so many chances to avoid the drop last season.

Hearts look like they will catch St. Mirren by christmas.

Motherwell came out of it a stronger club.

Dundee have survived it twice.

The only 2 recent examples in Scotland where teams have not come out of administration successfully are Gretna and Rangers (the dead club, the club that died.)

"NAW IT WISNAE MATE IT WIS THE COMPANY MATE!"

• Like 1

Kilmarnock will lose more money if the home fans boycott over Celtic fans being charged less for the game at Rugby Park.

Local buisnessmen will save Killie and make sure they have a future but as the present chairman got the club shares "gifted" to him for £1 and obviously wants alot more back for them they are at a stalemate with debts rising all the time.

Almost all of their home crowd are season tickets holders, meaning they have guaranteed and early income each year. And check out their website; first thing that comes up is an advert for a highlights DVD for last season ... what a good idea to make some money, eh?

A bigger mystery to me is why a seaside league team like Kilmarnock have been in the top flight since 1993, and continue to be. People complain about the small crowds Inverness get compared to their success, but Killie are just an insult.

Have they moved the town to the coast? Jings - that must have cost a fortune. A bit of a drastic measure to avoid your creditors!!