Plan B

Jagsman

Imo Archie got us promotion last season.Our away form was vastly improved when he became manager.But this season we dont seem to be able to change anything.I also feel the only game i have seen our subs make an impact was away to St.Mirren.Also Archie is only playing 2 of his signings on a regular basis.This is a big test in Archies short managerial career.Should we try and get some more experinced coach to give him a hand?

Getting horsed by three, four, five goals most weeks and somehow finishing 10th might be a success, but it's still not going to be a very enjoyable season, is it?

No, it's going to be grim, but in order to have any chance of establishing ourselves at the top table in Scottish football, we need to stay up. This is our first season back and we essentially have the same squad which got us up (you could argue it is weaker with Higginb instead of Erskine, Baird instead of Craig and Piccolo as backup instead of Dow, although ofc Osborne has done well). We have a very small budget. I for one would kill for 10th and as many thrashings as you like from better, more established teams. We then build from there for next season, with more TV money, etc, coming in.

We do need a Plan B - 5 at the back in some games and I agree with those asking for more flexibility from Archie, but I also think we can beat Ross C Killie and Hearts next time we meet each of them with our current formation,

I hope many of you don't play poker the cards would be folded pretty early in the game. Talk of dumping Archie or 9 men behind the ball (I exaggerate for effect) to scrape a snore draw makes me sick. We have been lucky to have the last 15 months with some of the most attractive football I have witnessed in 35 years of watching the Jags regularly. To throw that away after a few defeats is just pathetic, get real, get behind the manager and team and support them as real fans should.

Before you accuse me of being naive I do accept we need to tighten up but that doesn't mean abandoning all our football principles it means slight alterations like defending set pieces better (Aberdeen & St Mirrens first goals) and staying in games longer.

We have a good young team that will have had their confidence dented and I certainly expected a period like this, if we come through it still in touching distance of tenth place that is as good as we should have expected at the start of the season. Those that got carried away thinking we were better than that are the same ones that seem to be hitting the panic button now.

• Like 6

Got to ask the question do we want to see the team winning or not? can't believe people are happy watching us piss about wi the ball with no end product..its a waste of time...play off anyone?

Quite right. Let's get the ball hoofed up the park, the way the game was meant to be played. What we need is a Kenny Brannigan-type player who can hit the ball out of play for 90 minutes, preferably over the roof of a stand.

Got to ask the question do we want to see the team winning or not? can't believe people are happy watching us piss about wi the ball with no end product..its a waste of time...play off anyone?

I take your point but we don't have the players to effect a vastly different style of play. Apart from tweaking things here and there and being a bit more cautious in approach there's not much that could be done, till January at least. Even then I would assume we'll only try to strengthen within the system.

Bit simplistic I know but I prefer us not winning playing an attractive game than not winning playing a game we're not suited to. The former may well come good, the latter less likely.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

There's a more basic requirement than having a Plan B. And thats playing to the evident strengths available in Plan A.

Plan A has us bombing up with the full backs pretty much all game. This pulls the centre two out of position and they're not quick enough to cope. It needs to be mixed up more with them staying back if its not really on. It shouldnt be automatic.

Plan A needs us to make something of set pieces, or indeed, show some clue how to defend them.

And also to back up the lone striker with a closely supporting 3.

None of that is happening.

A lots been made of missed chances in terms of points lost, but right now it would be great to just make a few decent ones.

You cant blame strikers who dont get a sniff.

I hope many of you don't play poker the cards would be folded pretty early in the game. Talk of dumping Archie or 9 men behind the ball (I exaggerate for effect) to scrape a snore draw makes me sick. We have been lucky to have the last 15 months with some of the most attractive football I have witnessed in 35 years of watching the Jags regularly. To throw that away after a few defeats is just pathetic, get real, get behind the manager and team and support them as real fans should.

Before you accuse me of being naive I do accept we need to tighten up but that doesn't mean abandoning all our football principles it means slight alterations like defending set pieces better (Aberdeen & St Mirrens first goals) and staying in games longer.

We have a good young team that will have had their confidence dented and I certainly expected a period like this, if we come through it still in touching distance of tenth place that is as good as we should have expected at the start of the season. Those that got carried away thinking we were better than that are the same ones that seem to be hitting the panic button now.

Absolutely 100% spot on. I feel the need to say that I don't just "like" this post. I would like it 1000 times if I could.

When Archie took over last season, the results picked up after him taking ovet the coaching. Since then, he mentioned at the Meet the Manager night that he doesn't play such an active role in coaching now. Maybe this needs to be put right. It could be that the team in general look up to him and respond better to his coaching better than to anyone else's.

I take your point but we don't have the players to effect a vastly different style of play. Apart from tweaking things here and there and being a bit more cautious in approach there's not much that could be done, till January at least. Even then I would assume we'll only try to strengthen within the system.

Bit simplistic I know but I prefer us not winning playing an attractive game than not winning playing a game we're not suited to. The former may well come good, the latter less likely.

Agree here actually meant to post this as well.

Quite right. Let's get the ball hoofed up the park, the way the game was meant to be played. What we need is a Kenny Brannigan-type player who can hit the ball out of play for 90 minutes, preferably over the roof of a stand.

Football the object is to score goals is it not?? and your wrong here the kind of players we need are Wullie Jamieson Grant Tierney and the like they'd sort us right out..Kenny Brannigan nah he was sh it!