Partick Thistle U20S V Govan Revivalists U20S

jagfox

Looking forward to this match this evening. Will be my first viewing of our reserves this season. Scott MacKenzie and the team have exceeded expectation so far this season.

Will be great to get a win against the south side phoenix.

Anyone else heading along?

First half was pretty even with Thistle maybe shading it but in the second half Rangers were stronger and took the chances.

Thistle didn't get going second half although i did count a 20 pass move that ended with Kerr blasting wide from outside the box was as close as it got for Thistle in the second period.

Baird was quiet but i don't think he gets support up to him quick enough and he gets isolated alot.

His first touch was poor at times but maybe that's down to not getting alot of the ball up to him and he was snatching at the odd chance he did get coming his way..

I thought Thistle played ok but were just a bit short in the areas that mattered and Rangers were just too strong on the night and more clinical in front of goal.

• Like 1

First half was pretty even with Thistle maybe shading it but in the second half Rangers were stronger and took the chances.

Thistle didn't get going second half although i did count a 20 pass move that ended with Kerr blasting wide from outside the box was as close as it got for Thistle in the second period.

Baird was quiet but i don't think he gets support up to him quick enough and he gets isolated alot.

His first touch was poor at times but maybe that's down to not getting alot of the ball up to him and he was snatching at the odd chance he did get coming his way..

I thought Thistle played ok but were just a bit short in the areas that mattered and Rangers were just too strong on the night and more clinical in front of goal.

Very fair assessment from, billko. Had Baird scored from the shot on the turn minutes before he was subbed we'd be talking about a superb move and just perhaps a score draw. Tonight just wasn't to be and the score at the end up didn't flatter Rangers. I've seen enough Under 20s games this season to know that too many players were off the boil particularly in relation to first touches. Even in defeat tho' there's a good few positives can be taken from individual performances

Had a bit of time to think about this and I have to say I feel it was wrong to field Fraser. Firstly his availability must be thru some sort of anomaly. If a guy is barred from the 1st team you'd assume he couldn't play for the second team. Secondly the lad must have been walking a tightrope all night. As it was Kyle Hutton looks like he's picked up a serious enough injury. I watched the incident and Fraser was blameless but it'll be reported as "following a tackle by Fraser". Thankfully no hothead Rangers player misread things and went looking for afters. Anyway I think it's daft fielding a central midfielder who's bound to be scared of getting involved. Should've played Wilson or Gallacher from the start.

• Like 1

I was at the game and have the team sheet in front of me, and if i'm right it looks like Sevco are cheating again - Looks like they may have started with 5 over age players instead of the permitted 3. i.e. G'keeper, Simonsen, Kyle Hutton, Barry McKay, Dean Shiels, David Templeton. plse fellow Jags prove that i'm right in my assumption.

• Like 1

Fraser's current ban is for the first team only as when he was banned he was part of our first team squad. A bit of an anomoly but there you go. I thought he had a decent enough game overall, especially in the first half. Collina seemed a very good player in the making and we struggled once he and Kerr were removed and we lost the midfield battle.

I'm not sure if any of the younger lads are ready for a step-up to the first-team yet, but the majority certainly showed a lot of potential.

I was at the game and have the team sheet in front of me, and if i'm right it looks like Sevco are cheating again - Looks like they may have started with 5 over age players instead of the permitted 3. i.e. G'keeper, Simonsen, Kyle Hutton, Barry McKay, Dean Shiels, David Templeton. plse fellow Jags prove that i'm right in my assumption.

McKay is 18 yrs old but the rest are overage.

Does it count for goalkeepers?

I don't know the rules to be honest.

Rules are a bit strange when you see Fraser could play and i was expecting alot more from him in a playing sense.

For me Thistle play nice football and it's something i wouldn't be giving up.

Hopefully it pays off in the future sticking with this style of football.

Sounds like we missed the injured Duggan. Possibly an element of the old fear of the OF which seems to affect teams a lot - or maybe just bad day at office?

Re playing Fraser. Perhaps we feel we have to as he is on loan and we're supposed to be helping his development so need to play him a decent number of games - even if it's only for the under 20s.

Re playing Fraser. Perhaps we feel we have to as he is on loan and we're supposed to be helping his development so need to play him a decent number of games - even if it's only for the under 20s.

Archie seems keen to extend Fraser's loan and I wouldn't be surprised if he would like to sign him (if that will even be possible in the near future). Reckon that will be why we played him - keep him match fit and useful for when his ban ends. Can't see Bolton taking him back from us in January as he won't be developing much in the U-20 and has only played a handful of first team games this season.

Don't think we play guys for the sake of it or simply because they are on loan and we feel compelled to... look at Mukendi!

Edited by mhs

I'm sure I heard somewhere that in the rush to merge the SPL and the SFL, they forgot to include the rules about over-age players. That's why you can play them this season. I don't think the former SPL U-20 league allowed over-age players - hence the debate about the pros and cons of having a reserve league.

http://spfl.co.uk/sp...s-and-articles/

Page 138 of The Rules of the SPFL

"D2 An authorised representative of each Club must provide a written list of the names

of up to 18 Players taking part in each Under 20 League Match, including the name(s)

of the nominated substitute(s), to the Referee, not less than one hour before the time

of kick-off. The list shall indicate the full names, other than Trialists, of Players and shall

indicate the colour of the goalkeeper's shirt together with the colour of shirt proposed to

be worn by other Players for the Club in the relevant game. The list may include a maximum

of two over-age outfield Players, one further over-age outfield Player who had not

attained the age of 23 years on or after 31 December in the year prior to the year in which

the relevant Season commenced and one over-age goalkeeper."

Edited by German Jag

Had a bit of time to think about this and I have to say I feel it was wrong to field Fraser. Firstly his availability must be thru some sort of anomaly. If a guy is barred from the 1st team you'd assume he couldn't play for the second team. Secondly the lad must have been walking a tightrope all night. As it was Kyle Hutton looks like he's picked up a serious enough injury. I watched the incident and Fraser was blameless but it'll be reported as "following a tackle by Fraser". Thankfully no hothead Rangers player misread things and went looking for afters. Anyway I think it's daft fielding a central midfielder who's bound to be scared of getting involved. Should've played Wilson or Gallacher from the start.

The lad Fraser was in no way to blame for the Hutton injury and it would only be mischief making if someone were to report this.

l thought the lad was very subdued on the pitch and he needs to try and move on and put the madness of that incident behind him.

It's a bonus that he can play the 20's games to keep some match sharpness up and he needs to play in these games (imo)

• Like 1

You are wrong in your assumption. The U20 rules allow for 3 over-age outfield players, 1 over-age goalkeeper and another under 23 outfield player. We could have played a stronger side with more over-age players but chose not to.

Edited by kni

The lad Fraser was in no way to blame for the Hutton injury and it would only be mischief making if someone were to report this.

l thought the lad was very subdued on the pitch and he needs to try and move on and put the madness of that incident behind him.

It's a bonus that he can play the 20's games to keep some match sharpness up and he needs to play in these games (imo)

That tho' is my main point. I don't see how the lad can play a central mid or box to box role without being combative and occasionally incurring the wrath of the referee. That just can't happen under the circumstances. It's hardly surprising he was subdued.

and this taken courtesy of rangers official website

Falling under Gary Fraser’s challenge, he lay on the pitch for over five minutes as he received treatment then was tentatively put on a stretcher and carried off.
Anyone there last night knows Gary is totally blameless. But how many more will read that and think otherwise?

You are wrong in your assumption. The U20 rules allow for 3 over-age outfield players, 1 over-age goalkeeper and another under 23 outfield player. We could have played a stronger side with more over-age players but chose not to.

Who is we is it us or the team that were playing in blue? Just seeing if you have been converted yet mate :D:fan: