What Jags Can Do To Imrove Their Home Attendance?

dynamo

guys can't help making the tread devoted to the problems of jags home attendance when the users can share what to do to improve the atmosphere at the stadium and increase the fan base at home matches with each other

it's a pity to see the big neighbors can easily gather 50- 60 000 fans to worship their old derby which they made a trade mark long time ago

only a few of us who won't put up with the current situation took another football way which has nothing to do with the old firm but we should keep up moving ahead and how to attract young men and inspire them to support Partick unlike rangers or celtic?

2000-3000 of loyal fans is a very good amount but how to increase the crowd what do you think of it ???

Be successful.

A sustained challenge in the league where we can still win up to the final day.

Fans will pay current prices when there is a good likelihood we'll win. U16s free already makes it more affordable for families.

Otherwise attendances will continue to dwindle and the club will only be able to survive if we bring players through the youth system and sell them on for a decent fee a la Hamilton, hopefully enjoying success on the park with us before they leave.

Threads similar to this have come up fairly regularly in the various guises of unofficial Jags websites. There's been countless suggestions some good, some daft, some practical & some not. Jim Alexander has over the last season or two helped carry out some excellent initiatives. I'm sure he's got more in the pipeline.

Obviously success on the field & playing entertaining football will add bums on seats, tho' it's worth saying it may take more than a season to see crowds increase significantly. Playing more youngsters should always help provided that's not at a too much a cost results wise. If we're safe mid table by late winter I don't want to go along and watch Rowson, Robertson & Donnelly etc when we could be playing the likes of Bannigan, McGeough & Stevenson.

People will not just pop along to Firhill and become Jags fans. Its too expensive which will put most people off and the quality is usually so low that anyone who has parted with the £16/£17 will leave feeling cheated out of their money.

You need parent’s to bring their kids and get them hooked over time, under 16’s for free is a massive step in the right direction.

Another way it can happen is to gather up disillusioned old firm fans and convert them, you do this by dragging them to the pub early, getting them smashed, having a good night out afterwards and then keep doing this until they think they are enjoying the footballing part as well.

People will not just pop along to Firhill and become Jags fans. Its too expensive which will put most people off and the quality is usually so low that anyone who has parted with the £16/£17 will leave feeling cheated out of their money.

You need parent’s to bring their kids and get them hooked over time, under 16’s for free is a massive step in the right direction.

Another way it can happen is to gather up disillusioned old firm fans and convert them, you do this by dragging them to the pub early, getting them smashed, having a good night out afterwards and then keep doing this until they think they are enjoying the footballing part as well.

I see a flaw in your cunning plan

No thanks. I'd rather Thistle died a slow and painful death than have even one of those stone-age wasters wearing a Thistle scarf, sitting in my stadium, watching my team.

No thanks. I'd rather Thistle died a slow and painful death than have even one of those stone-age wasters wearing a Thistle scarf, sitting in my stadium, watching my team.

I don't see a problem in old firm fans who are simply Rangers/Celtic fans by virtue of them being told they are by their dads whilst in reality never going to the games or caring that much converting to Thistle.

2 out of the 8 of us who went to Annan on Saturday are former armchair Rangers "supporters", one of them came along for the first time about 3 seasons ago and now goes to all the games his shift work allows and the other came along towards the end of the season before last and bought a season ticket last season and this. One of them pays no attention to Rangers anymore and would tell anyone who asked he supports Thistle, the other is currently going through an identity crisis but identifies himself less and less as a Rangers fan and more as a Thistle fan.

:lol:

Post of the forum so far.

We have 2 ex old firm fans in our lot too, one was still a boy when he saw the light and the other is in a similar 'identity crisis' phase to Ubers mate...both were season ticket holders last season and went to many away games too.

I agree with Uberteebs...and after reading everything else he's had to say recently, that is a statement and a half :D

It might help boost the support of the visiting team if they didn't have to sit behind a goal whilst the main stand sits empty.

Also, travelling into Glasgow for a game (and leaving afterwards) when either of the OF are playing at home is a nightmare. I made a suggestion a couple of seasons ago on the old forum that we should change kick-off to 2 o'clock. We'd save money on floodlight costs and avoid the traffic caused by the OF.

I'd also be more willing to take my 4yo daughter to Firhill if they turned the volume on the tannoy system down.

It might help boost the support of the visiting team if they didn't have to sit behind a goal whilst the main stand sits empty.

Also, travelling into Glasgow for a game (and leaving afterwards) when either of the OF are playing at home is a nightmare. I made a suggestion a couple of seasons ago on the old forum that we should change kick-off to 2 o'clock. We'd save money on floodlight costs and avoid the traffic caused by the OF.

If you buy a ticket for a leading German football side, local transport is included in the price. Obviously, with the mess that is transport in the UK, that's not possible, but it still baffles me that every club doesn't put up clear indications on its website of how to reach the ground, with links to timetables, etc. In Thistle's case, there isn't a nearby car park either: so there really should be directions for the Subway and the buses (if anyone has figured them out yet, of course), with the likely costs. (Otherwise, visitors risk being defenestrated for not having used their psychic powers to predict that week's exact payment for bus tickets.)

I know that there's the useful Scottish Football Ground Guide, but this is a voluntary service serving the interests of professional football clubs.

The Thistle version is here - safely concealed in the second tier of a generically-titled menu (fans -> Getting to Firhill), but it only invites the visitor to try links to external transport information sites and offers a generic map of part of Glasgow. Perhaps, just perhaps, some potential visitors give up at this point.

Yes, the main train stations are described, and it says that two Subway stations are 15 minutes' walk away (bad advice: always give strangers one route to a venue), but frequency and hours of service, guides to walking the right way, indications of costs or advice on where to park a car are absent. The appropriate page could be linked to in the details of matches, but this isn't done either.

Who knows if any tweaking would raise visitors' numbers? However, it might help to look as if you're inviting paying customers.

Edited by Fearchar

We could come up with all the wonderful schemes under the sun, however the bottom line is that the only way to motivate people is to have an entertaining team on the park. Fortunately or unfortunately the days when people would rapidly part with their hard earned regardless of the fare on offer are long gone. So if the people turn up and the quality is as vad as it often has been in recent years then they are hardly likely to pencil in 3:00 PM Firhil on alternate Saturdays, will they? I have to confess that I for one, am not half as regular an attender as I was in the past. I hope that this season we can maintain some sort of realistic interest beyond Christmas.

I don't see a problem in old firm fans who are simply Rangers/Celtic fans by virtue of them being told they are by their dads whilst in reality never going to the games or caring that much converting to Thistle.

2 out of the 8 of us who went to Annan on Saturday are former armchair Rangers "supporters", one of them came along for the first time about 3 seasons ago and now goes to all the games his shift work allows and the other came along towards the end of the season before last and bought a season ticket last season and this. One of them pays no attention to Rangers anymore and would tell anyone who asked he supports Thistle, the other is currently going through an identity crisis but identifies himself less and less as a Rangers fan and more as a Thistle fan.

Well said.

I've known such 'converts' myself one of whom became rabidly anti-Old Firm later. If someone sees the light why try to put them off? They're more to be conngratulated I think.

A family friend I know had been a sporadic Thistle fan till he left Uni, then became an armchair Rangers fan, mainly more interested in following the national team. 3 seasons ago he and one of his long-time friend decided they were fed-up of the Old Firm and the nasty atmosphere and expense associated with Castle Greyskull, so decided to do a "round the grounds" tour, taking in a fair few Thistle games in the process. Whilst one now works in Libya and the other in Abu Dhabi, they now visit Firhill whenever they're home, and are completely disinterested in football involving Rangers, and are genuine Thistle fans.

I'm sure they're not alone. A lot of people are getting sick and tired of the monotony of the Old Firm, and want to watch football for its own sake. Whilst the product at Firhill isn't exactly Sterling stuff, it's more real: they can form some sort of affinity with it that they can't otherwise get by simply following the crowd.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

Going by your post, and others reaction, it may be these turn coat Old Firm fans that are keeping the club heart beating.

Of a crowd of 2000 would it be fair to say that maybe 15% are stay away old firm fans?

Going by these posts above: 10% rangers fans and 5% no name/no shame celtic fans?

On top of this...

What % are free kids?

What % are hospitality/comps?

The fact is, we as a club are at a bare minimum.

the board are idiots = stay away fans

the previous manager was a shambles = stay away fans

the "new" manager's a tactical nightmare and doesn't promote ball on the deck football = stay away fans

2000 is the bare minimum.

So, on a budget of 2000 fans a game, plus sponsorship etc, just what sort of budget has this manager got?

His saving grace, a couple of youths that seem ready to step in. I really didn't think he'd give them a game. But he has, i hope he continue's to!

Edited by potty trained

And what would ever happen if we ever did get a 100% capacity at firhill? Can we still let in kids and under 16s for free if there are no seats?

Surely we can worry about that problem when it arises. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" was what the Apostle Paul said when he was pondering the problem of true believers surrounded by, er, heathens. :)

And what would ever happen if we ever did get a 100% capacity at firhill? Can we still let in kids and under 16s for free if there are no seats?

In an ideal world, as you describe, the main stand would become a dedicated family stand, where the old golden thistle rooms became baby changing area's etc. As long as we live in your ideal world.

The problem is... the JHS was built for the early 90's, where Scottish football lived in a dream of 10,000 capicity for every game. The powers that be didn't see a down turn 10 years later, lets be honest, neither did we as fans. Thistle were rising! It was the bukta season, we had the top scoring midfield in the then SPL, we were on fire!

Then came the reality at the end of the 20th century.

Then came our Board of Directors downsizing to fit the new reality. Selling off ground at will.

You will get many people come on here defending Propco, because crowds are so low, why should we have a 10k stadium... fact is it's peaks n troughs, in 10 years, crowds will increase, I bet my life on it. Look at decade trends instead of specific year on year "details".

Yes we are in a down turn, not only that but the price is high and the product is poor.

Question: at £5 a game, is junior football experiencing the same recession as the professional game?

Answer: no it's not, it's displaying a constant high level, more than value for money producet, and surviving through community bars, social clubs etc.

Maybe we'd survive if we lost the ego?

This is the 80's all over again, we need to pull through, our board need to learn from those lessons, and come out stronger, so that the 2020 version of jim oliver see's us through the bad times and beyond.

The great pity is, I don't think our board are caring past 2015. Why should they when the club dies they'll walk with a profit!!! :thinking: