Mcguigan / Duggan

The Sunnylaw Jag

Interesting to see articles on these two in the Evening Times over the last few days. McGuigan is desperate to continue playing first team football and is now playing as a right midfielder at the moment. Duggan certainly doesn't seem to be lacking in confidence either as he set himself a target of 30 goals this season but his injury is hampering that ambition.

Also worth noting the fact the Under 20's lost another game the other night. Going down 5-1 to Hearts. No idea who played.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/second-string-slingshots-can-launch-duggan-into-jags-premiership-145059n.22897883

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick-thistle/i-need-a-first-team-place-says-jag-mark-145163n.22896102

Imagine if we got a centre forward on loan from an English Championship or League One side. We then played him anywhere but the position he was sent out on loan to develop. I doubt the club in question would be too chuffed. I suppose we did that with Santala but there was little chance he'd have cut it in the then 2nd Div playing as a centreback.

I've been of the opinion that if we had an injury crisis upfront that McGuigan would be favoured ahead of Duggan (that wee bit of experience over potential) but that may no longer be the case.

Lady isobel, I totally agree with you. McGuigan has been sent out on loan to develop as a striker, not any other position. he should be getting the opportunity to develop this skill. Also I would not say, on the times I have seen him play that he is ready to step up to the 1st team at any point next season. I would feel a bit more comfortable if he was playing first team football as a striker in the 1st division (championship) and with some success. Duggan as the manager has said is not ready yet, his injury is obviously hampering his progress but it might be wise to load him out to a first team club and develop his experience with the hope he comes good and can get a 1st team shout.

Imagine if we got a centre forward on loan from an English Championship or League One side. We then played him anywhere but the position he was sent out on loan to develop. I doubt the club in question would be too chuffed. I suppose we did that with Santala but there was little chance he'd have cut it in the then 2nd Div playing as a centreback.

I've been of the opinion that if we had an injury crisis upfront that McGuigan would be favoured ahead of Duggan (that wee bit of experience over potential) but that may no longer be the case.

Aye imagine you got a player from Liverpool and you only saw fit to play him on the bench occasionally.

Lady isobel, I totally agree with you. McGuigan has been sent out on loan to develop as a striker, not any other position. he should be getting the opportunity to develop this skill. Also I would not say, on the times I have seen him play that he is ready to step up to the 1st team at any point next season. I would feel a bit more comfortable if he was playing first team football as a striker in the 1st division (championship) and with some success. Duggan as the manager has said is not ready yet, his injury is obviously hampering his progress but it might be wise to load him out to a first team club and develop his experience with the hope he comes good and can get a 1st team shout.

I wonder if there might be any communication between clubs when it comes to trying out a loanee in a position other than the one usually associated with him.

In the Jagscast with Archie he didn't seem perturbed that McGuigan was playing right mid. Have to remember that both he and Sculley were allowed to play in the Scottish Cup so I would guess probably neither seen as being needed by Archie this season. Funnily enough, they are both still in the Cup with their respective loan teams! Certainly hope Sculley goes further in the Cup!

Yeah, McGuigan won't play for us again. Sure he'll go on to have a decent enough lower league career though.

You may well be correct but above still comes over a trifle Mystic Megish. Mark possibly has 10 years plus of a career remaining and I wouldn't like to predict we won't be playing lower league in the next decade or so.

Anyway I guess it's a close run thing whether those big forward types make it or not. We continually cry out for a bit of strength upfront without sacrificing too much pace. I'd be surprised if just now Mark couldn't hold his own with the likes of Roberts at Falkirk, Antione-Curier and Beattie. I'd expect he'd also be ahead of the likes of Calum Elliot, Barrowman and Graham Holmes. By that he's perhaps only just half a division away from being a Jags squad player today. What I'm getting at is while mcGuigan might not have a future career at Firhill the margins are likely to be much narrower than many think

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

On the subject of out on loan players it's grand to hear Ryan Scully is doing well at Dunfermline. http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/sport/thepars/articles/2013/12/14/482257-scully-delighted-to-extend-pars-loan/? (you may have to make one click to read article).

Ryan's always been a very good shot stopper but his lack of confidence was there for all to see. Playing regularly at a very competitive level is bound to help. He'll be a free agent come May and, presuming Fox will still be with us, even if we offer a new contract he'll have a tough decision to make