The Club "shop"

gerrybritton9

Today's text in is:

What's the difference between an industrial unit and a shop?

Just text your answer to 07880...........

Or you can enter by post. Just send your answer to:

This is a pointless pedantic troll contest

PO Box 1971

Glasgow

Winners must hold a valid passport and working sat nav

Today's text in is:

PO Box 1971

Glasgow

Oh dear.

It's very well having that association, but how did it help us as a club, really, I don't know how it did.

I'd dispute the best kits, compared to what, the TFG kits? the first kit was a belter but let down by the yellow back and sleeves. The next one was a joke of a strip, top was ok, if that. but red shorts and black socks? The next one, I never understood at all, if you are going to replicate the early 70s tops, why have black shorts and socks? There was next to no red in it.

With regards to quality, let's not kid on, they weren't puma, it was a factory in Liverpool that made them and stitched a puma badge on, When I bought a strip I had to lift every large off the shelf to try on as they were all different widths and lengths.

The training/leisure wear was shockingly bad. And from what I can gather the fashion stuff hardly sold at all.

added to that, once sizes ran out you were fckd, stock never came back in.

The promotion, yes was fantastic, getting launches out in the street was brilliant. The launch at the start of this season was horrendous, but that was the clubs fault, not TTLs.

Joma offers a range of training gear that is night and day compared to the puma badged training kit. the players have testified to that, it's actual kit designed for the purpose.

If greaves were absorbing a loss then that's their fault, the effort they put in in the final season was half arsed. I've not been told about the commercials of the Joma deal and wouldn't expect to be, but as a premiership team, I'd expect it to be on a par if not better.

What I have been told is that sales are ahead of expectation,and I would assume expectation was based on historical information via the puma deal and comparatives with their other Scottish team contracts.

The point re. kits is, of course, purely subjective. But the anecdotal evidence suggests the Joma kit is of a much poorer quality than any of the 'Puma' kits. Let's not start on this season's away kit...

The training/leisure wear was poor? Template stuff with a Thistle badge, same as Joma's. And from what I can gather, reinforced by the frequency with which they continue to be visible, the polo shirts, t-shirts, hoodies and caps sold well.

I'm not the best person to comment on whether the training gear is more suited to the regime of a modern footballer, but that really isn't the point of this thread. I would argue about it's importance in the grand scheme of things, too.

Which other teams to TTL provide kit for? That may prove telling. The 'promotion bounce' has to be considered a factor, too.

Taking all that into consideration it appears that player preference with regards to training gear is the only aspect where Joma has its nose in front. Is that really a step up?

Oh dear.

You are having an absolute nightmare here. The new "shop" is not a step up from having our kit in Greaves. In fact it's an embarrassing state of affairs. They'd be better selling the strips and merchandise from the back of a truck parked outside Firhill than from an "industrial unit" which you need a satnav to find.

The OP here had a genuinely bad personal experience after trekking to the "shop," and shared it here as such. Anecdotal, but it was what he felt. I am amazed that you thought that this was even up for argument - not only that but you attempted to dismantle what he said, point by excruciating point, implying that he had exaggerated or totally misread things and then contradicted yourself by saying it's all down to personal opinion/experience (so not worthy of argument). Well, he gave his, and you tried to make him look stupid. You owe gerrybritton9 an apology.

Oh dear, indeed....

• Like 1

The point re. kits is, of course, purely subjective. But the anecdotal evidence suggests the Joma kit is of a much poorer quality than any of the 'Puma' kits. Let's not start on this season's away kit...

The training/leisure wear was poor? Template stuff with a Thistle badge, same as Joma's. And from what I can gather, reinforced by the frequency with which they continue to be visible, the polo shirts, t-shirts, hoodies and caps sold well.

I'm not the best person to comment on whether the training gear is more suited to the regime of a modern footballer, but that really isn't the point of this thread. I would argue about it's importance in the grand scheme of things, too.

Which other teams to TTL provide kit for? That may prove telling. The 'promotion bounce' has to be considered a factor, too.

Taking all that into consideration it appears that player preference with regards to training gear is the only aspect where Joma has its nose in front. Is that really a step up?

In truth what we are discussing, none of it is to do with the OP as it was mainly about customer service.

You are having an absolute nightmare here. The new "shop" is not a step up from having our kit in Greaves. In fact it's an embarrassing state of affairs. They'd be better selling the strips and merchandise from the back of a truck parked outside Firhill than from an "industrial unit" which you need a satnav to find.

The OP here had a genuinely bad personal experience after trekking to the "shop," and shared it here as such. Anecdotal, but it was what he felt. I am amazed that you thought that this was even up for argument - not only that but you attempted to dismantle what he said, point by excruciating point, implying that he had exaggerated or totally misread things and then contradicted yourself by saying it's all down to personal opinion/experience (so not worthy of argument). Well, he gave his, and you tried to make him look stupid. You owe gerrybritton9 an apology.

Oh dear, indeed....

Am I Colin, a nightmare? that's another night without sleep!

Why would they sell stuff out the back of a van at the ground, when there's a shop at the ground?

I owe GB9 an apology? Aye nae bother. It's a discussion forum, man up.

As I said there are issues that are a concern, what I questioned were the sweeping generalisations and stuff used to emphasise his point which were unnecessary.

I could have pre ordered, but I didn't cause they didn't offer me the chance to do that... I mean come on!

Customer service is also 1st impression of the people, set up, tidy ness etc

If the place is a "tip" with boxes etc lying about it doesn't exactly encourage you to come back for the experience

Staff dealing with the public, their customers, the folk paying THEIR wages should always be courteous, and swearing is a complete no no.

Simple changes can make the experience so much more "appealing" for customers

Customer service is also 1st impression of the people, set up, tidy ness etc

If the place is a "tip" with boxes etc lying about it doesn't exactly encourage you to come back for the experience

Staff dealing with the public, their customers, the folk paying THEIR wages should always be courteous, and swearing is a complete no no.

Simple changes can make the experience so much more "appealing" for customers

Without a doubt that's the case, it's a pity the OP arrived at the same time as their delivery. The staff experience again it's a real pity and shouldn't have happened as described.

Thankfully the experiences I've had and the ones I've been told about from others have been first class..

My original post really wasn't a trolling exercise, there are points there that haven't been addressed that I brought up, like the pre ordering, the numbers from greaves etc.

It is in the wrong Location for a shop ..... A shop is all about location funnily enough

It's a pity that so many folk find it frustrating, but what are they going to do, rent a berth in the Savoy Centre?

Whilst it's not in a city centre location. There are advantages to it.

10 minutes walk from the underground.

10 minutes from Caley Uni.

2 minutes drive from the motorway.

Free parking.

10 minutes from firhill.

I'm sure folk who don't want to go through the pain in the arse of paying for city centre parking and driving think its a good site.

It's all about people's perception,

The whole google the location thing I find bizarre... I meN is that really an issue? Google maps are on our phones, I use it all the time. Used it last night to find two pubs in Glasgow... But once you've used it, you now know the location, so you'll never use it again. Why is that a stick to beat TTL with? Oh the pain, I had to use an app to find it, the first time I went!

They offer a map on their website, can you imagine the bloody uproar if they didn't?

Edited by potty trained

Greaves was brilliant. Easy to get to and fab customer service. loved being able to compares sizes of tops before buying. Bought every home +away puma strip at Greaves from day 1, my son loved them all (apart from the pink one :)

The Greaves era puma strips were far better too. This seasons strips are guff. Away strip is a joke. Love them or hate them, the old away strips were always fun and a great talking point for the club.

Not been to new shop, have no interest trying to find a unit on an industrial estate, especially if it's randomly shut half the time. Have bought a couple of newer items online, arrived with no problems however Joma quality is not as good as the Puma stuff imo.

Tried to buy my twin boys - age 5 - the home kit, I called to enquire about buying a kit rather than jus. a shirt only to be told the don't offer that - all items need to to be purchased separately - thus meaning it was going to cost me £54 each....

Shocking really when you look at any other uk club and discover we are by far the dearest - man utd, arsenal, Newcastle, barca all range from £ 32 - £40 + more for names and badges etc...

I e-mailed the club and ttl but no significant response - in fact no response at all from the club at all.

The Jags shop in short is garbage, for a premiership team, we don't we have a shop opened on Maryhill road or something, ??.

This shop unit or whatever you call it is not the answer this is a trade outlet not a Jags shop, certain people at our club do not have a clue about marketing it's very worrying.

I bought my boy a hooded top last week , place was like a mini warehouse full of empty boxes everywhere, the guy was pleasant enough, got the hoodie then proceeded to tell me that he would have to heat press the Jags badge on the front of it!! Total amateurs the stuff is not very good.

I heard that we nearly got an Umbro deal before this Joma, in hindsight I wish we did.

Went once for the new home top (which, imo, is poorer quality than the Puma ones). Looked at leisure wear, some of it looks good but the quality, again my opinion, isn't as good as that of what Puma & Greaves offered & as such is overpriced for what it is. The Thistle badge, that is I presume ironed on, looks terrible. Even if I did want to buy any leisure wear, they had no large or extra large sizes, surely two of the most looked for.

The website is a joke, especially compared to our official site & that of Greaves. Location doesn't compare either, I would go in to Greaves every couple of months & pick up something as I imagine many fans did, the location & shop itself are very unappealing & also unsuitable for those who have difficulties on stairs.

The Greaves deal was 100% better for the fans as far as I can see.

Edited by 1 John Lambie
  • Like 1

They must get a lot of deliveries and no time to sort them out? I was in a while ago and there were boxes everywhere, even in the Thistle bit, as far as stock I had to settle for the green goalie top age 7 (as he really wanted that), home top age 5 (it's all for a 5 year old) home shorts and away socks, my little one was pretty happy and couldn't tell you what socks or shorts are supposed to go with what but me, I wanted two full kits that fitted him properly.

Staff were fine and helpful although two or three other folk came in when I was there and this meant we had to wait again to ask questions and find out what sizes they had as the staff went to deal with others.

It's not really SPL standards (subjective comment I know) although it was OK, the place seemed more like the warehouse and stock room rather than a commercial club shop. If things are going better than expected maybe they could have a franchise somewhere on Maryhill Road near St Georges X or in the City and ask fans to pre order and collect there?

Honestly I don't want to criticise too much as I don't think that it's the TTL folk necessarily, they've signed up to do what they have been asked to do and the club must have know the location and how sales were set up. It's fine for what it is although as mentioned my opinion is that it's more or less the delivery place for stuff before it gets sorted and sent out to the shop itself - except that it's also the shop.

Should we have better? Most folk seem to think so and also that Greaves was a more professional set up that befitted the great club that we have.

How long are we with TTL? and I wonder if they will change for future seasons. I also think the quality of the kit is fine, had it for a few months now and it was worn and washed every day for a few weeks and it still looks good.

Today's text in is:

PO Box 1971

Glasgow

Has no one answered this very important question yet?

Anyway, I love all the joma stuff. I think the kit looks great and I'm the kinda bloke that if they slapped jags badge on a tin of paint, I'd buy it 10 times over. Even if it was poor quality

I was just saying that the items and service were not great. I was not aware that with my opinions, I had to submit evidence and corroborating data in case someone thought I was telling lies and exaggerating.

Good grief.

I think the troll has missed the point and I'm grateful for fans for supporting me. This experience has not put me off, I just want better for our fans. My kids are the future fan base and I have to work hard to keep them away from the old firm and the English premier league. If they can't be in love with thistle now, they will never be.

Anyway, they both have jags kits from Santa and will love them. Although that is just my judgement as a father. I'm not sure if I can submit data and evidence and corroboration in case someone challenges this view. (!)

Can see both sides of the argument here.

The Greaves deal was great for the fans at the start, but I feel people are looking back on it with rose tinted specs now. For the last year, maybe even the last 2 years, they weren't interested. People were pretty sick of them and they were obviously sick of us. That's the way I remember it anyway. People were constantly moaning about the leisure wear not being in club colours. The training top was in Airdrie colours was it not?

The bottom line is that Greaves lost money on PTFC. There simply aren't enough of us jags fans to make that kind of operation profitable. So you could argue that we didn't deserve that kind of retail operation anyway, we certainly didn't justify it, hence the reason Greaves didn't renew the deal.

Now on to TTL.

The kids stuff is obviously overpriced. £50 for a kids strip is just ridiculous, surely that isn't up for debate. I know a guy who's had to take the home strip back 3 times because it keeps falling apart. Now I've got the home strip and thankfully haven't had any issues with it, but a lot of people have.

It's worrying to hear that TTL got the gig because the guy was Hinchy's mate. But that's the way things work in all walks of life.

So let's all get a bit of perspective here. TTL probably could do better in terms of customer service. But getting nostalgic about Greaves is a bit of a red herring, as it didn't work for them.

On my visit there (well second actually - the first time I went during 'opening hours' and it was closed) I was dealt with courteously and helpfully. I got what I wanted and apart from their card reader being on the blink (they got it working eventually, but it was a nervous few minutes as the place isn't exactly handy for a cash machine) nothing untoward happened.

When I visited there were boxes and stock everywhere. I got the impression that the place wasn't really used to being visited and was really meant as a stockroom/warehouse for mail order. It is in nowheresville. Although people will argue this I think the fact that it's location is described as how far it is away from things kind of highlights that it isn't somewhere you can pop into on a whim as 1JL said he used to with Greaves. It is my opinion, but I do think it is an embarrassment of a shop. I would feel ashamed taking anybody that wasn't a Thistle fan along. I just wouldn't take my (Thistle supporting) kid as kids aren't stupid and they can tell if things are sh!t. I just don't want him fall out of love with Thistle and this is without doubt a negative. It doesn't matter how much red and yellow they use to disguise this.

I've not bought this years top for me, but got one for my son. Seems fine, but as many highlighted at the time, the fabric does seem to have been excessively stretched to stitch the Joma logo on. Some of the training stuff looks okay - I actually quite like one of the red tops, but the ironed on badge makes it look cheap IMO. It saddens me that I could think a club badge could cheapen something but that's how I feel.

I have no idea the financial arrangements for this deal, but if the club benefits to a greater sum than it did with Greaves then I guess it's something. It just doesn't seem that professional.

I didn't know about what ian_mac has revealed about the awarding of the contract - that has surprised me a little I've got to say.

Edited by MerryHell

What has Caley Uni got to do with it ?!

There are plenty of cheap retail units available ... Read the news on the crisis in the high street

For a retail unit it's in the wrong place

Ps Valencia just ditched Joma for Adidas

It was to demonstrate how close it is to the city centre. The Uni is right beside the bus station.

Jesus we've had folk moaning on here it's not close enough to the city centre, then someone suggests them opening a shop in maryhill road!

Why would they want to open another shop just to appease 10 thistle fans?

I'm sorry if folk are getting angry with my responses or think I'm trolling, I'm genuinely not!

I just find it bizarre some things folk complain about, and use as an opportunity to romantasise about the good old days.

Boxes on the floor? Really, this is a big issue that folk are complaining about it? How do you people cope going into supermarkets when shelves are getting filled?

The top is stretched at the joma badge? I'm sorry but why the **** did you buy it! The tops hang up on a hAnger! If I'm spending 40 quid on any piece of clothing I bloody have a good look at it, if there's a fault I ask for another.

Folk saying an iron on badge detracts from the top, how did you survive before when it was bits of felt getting ironed on through practically the whole of the 90s.

The black and white badge yes, is poor, but the detail in the yellow And black badge is outstanding.

I love the location, I don't work in glasgow and have no interest in driving into the city centre to pay for parking, to then walk through Sauchihall street to stand in a 6 foot square section of generally crap stock. I can drive from paisley, park right at the door and be back on the motorway in no time at all.

Edited by potty trained

It was to demonstrate how close it is to the city centre. The Uni is right beside the bus station.

Jesus we've had folk moaning on here it's not close enough to the city centre, then someone suggests them opening a shop in maryhill road!

Why would they want to open another shop just to appease 10 thistle fans?

I'm sorry if folk are getting angry with my responses or think I'm trolling, I'm genuinely not!

I just find it bizarre some things folk complain about, and use as an opportunity to romantasise about the good old days.

Boxes on the floor? Really, this is a big issue that folk are complaining about it? How do you people cope going into supermarkets when shelves are getting filled?

The top is stretched at the joma badge? I'm sorry but why the **** did you buy it! The tops hang up on a hAnger! If I'm spending 40 quid on any piece of clothing I bloody have a good look at it, if there's a fault I ask for another.

Folk saying an iron on badge detracts from the top, how did you survive before when it was bits of felt getting ironed on through practically the whole of the 90s.

The black and white badge yes, is poor, but the detail in the yellow And black badge is outstanding.

I love the location, I don't work in glasgow and have no interest in driving into the city centre to pay for parking, to then walk through Sauchihall street to stand in a 6 foot square section of generally crap stock. I can drive from paisley, park right at the door and be back on the motorway in no time at all.

The Thistle section in Sauchiehall Street was considerably larger than 6ft square. It certainly wasn't perfect but it's hard to argue against two city centre locations.

Appreciate we're not Celtic and there's no way we can justify opening a city centre store - that's why I liked Greaves - I'll pass comment on the new 'shop' when I've visited but for non drivers it does seem a pain in the jacksie to get to.

Edited by Charlie Endell

The stretched material around the badge on the home strip appears to be on many strips, it's been a complaint since day one on here & when I was buying mine every home strip that was hanging up (& the few that I looked at that were in bags) all had the same problem.

1JL the point being it kind of negates folks validity to complain if they bought a product with the knowledge it's faulty.

Ach, that's fine then.

Edited by Charlie Endell