Dissertation Survey - Thistle And Social Media

Lewis.Watson

Thanks a lot everyone, honestly didnt expect this level of response!

I did post it to the nomads facebook page too, I was just trying to make sure I had a sufficient number of responses but clearly I shouldnt have worried haha.

And yes norgethistle i've got a few contacts at the club, they know about the dissertation and i'd be more than happy to pass my findings on if they think they will be of use.

I did post it to the nomads facebook page too, I was just trying to make sure I had a sufficient number of responses but clearly I shouldnt have worried haha.

And yes norgethistle i've got a few contacts at the club, they know about the dissertation and i'd be more than happy to pass my findings on if they think they will be of use.

Sounds good Lewis and seems a good survey in my eyes, have you contacted Tom Hosie the Programme Editor who does some (or all) of the clubs social media content (Twitter & FB I think) or Jim Alexander the fan-base Marketing Director who looks after Fan Communication or George Francis our Communications Manager at the club, I'm sure these guys would be interested in what your doing and the results you find.

Out of interest what pushed you towards the Jags fan base on this? Proximity to the Uni or you a fan? If not a fan we will try our hardest to convert you like we are with Bilko :happy2:

Good luck with this, there has been a lot of thought gone into it and I'm sure if you need anymore help the guys on here will be more than happy to help :thumbsup2:

fan consultation and fan surveys always are taken account of and acted on at firhill, go lewis !

Ive interviewed George Francis as part of my research already, got some interesting insights from him relating to my secondary research which have been really useful.

I think its safe to say Thistle are now my Scottish team, even more so with the kind response i've had from Thistle fans on here and on the Facebook page!

Thistle were a logical choice for really. Like i said before, ive got contacts at the club which made getting access to the likes of George really simple. I also thought Thistle would provide an interesting perspective, perhaps more representative of other football clubs than the old firm which means my findings would hopefully be generalizable to a certain extent. Its also been nice to focus on a smaller club (no offence intended) rather than the efforts of Premier League teams with million pound marketing budgets.

Edited by Lewis.Watson

rather than the efforts of Premier League teams with million pound marketing budgets.

The EPL is to my mind the most morally corrupt League in the world with it's obscene transfer fees, hiring and firing policies, the willingness of clubs to sell their integrity, brand etc. to anyone to make a fast buck, the cost of admission etc. and don't get me started on the Champions League. Not sure why George Osborne doesn't ask these ******** to fork out more in tax to pay the governments shortfall rather than oppress the poor further?

In general social media is a hugely useful tool if used properly and it's a wonderful way of engaging with a Club's fanbase when you apply it to football.

Last season was the first time Thistle really utilised it. It was a great success, helped that the team was having such success on the park, and was praised in various circles. One of the Welsh fans who came to the Livingston game after some twitter activity sited it as an example of how a club should use social media.

This season the focus has been lost a little, not least due to some horrible personal circumstances at my end, but it's picking up again. There is so much scope to develop it further and we lag behind other Premiership clubs a little but many have full time staffs dedicated to that side of things. George I'm sure will be a big asset to the club and I would very much hope that the club's social media profile will continue to grow. I would like to be part of that growth but if not life goes on. This season is already my last with the programme. My choice before anyone asks.

• Like 1

Got to take my hat off to you Lewis, come here to Uni and you're straight in the door.

We as fans have been crying out for consultation/representation. We thought we had it with TAG. Someone's ear.

How did you do it, what's your secret?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Got to take my hat off to you Lewis, come here to Uni and you're straight in the door.

We as fans have been crying out for consultation/representation. We thought we had it with TAG. Someone's ear.

How did you do it, what's your secret?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

personally speaking bow, it may bore you and send you to sleep, but for me and others, some of us are interested in lewis's survey (and it's results), along with likes of fan consultation and representation, so it's only fair to ask how he managed to get such a good number of contacts within firhill so quickly, or recognise lewis's talents, when he has quite clearly "come in from the cold" with no past love or association with the jags, let alone supporting the team.

you (bow) could of course instead have complimented lewis on coming from nowhere and securing significant access to not only a brand new employee of the club, but other apparent good contacts within firhill (to quote lewis: "ive got contacts at the club which made getting access to the likes of George really simple"), and thank him for his initiative and choice of club to contact and survey, many hundreds if not thousands of thistle fans have tried in vain over years to get access to, and the ear of people in power at firhill.

tag offered that enticement to a degree, for a period of time, but now thats a dead duck, something like lewis's survey is the first sign of any engagement with the support in the last 9 months, albeit it is indirect as in coming not from the club but a seemingly proactive uni student with no past association or interest in the club. so if you want to zzzzz, carry on, but let others take an interest if it is their wish.

Edited by yoda-jag

This season the focus has been lost a little, not least due to some horrible personal circumstances at my end, but it's picking up again. There is so much scope to develop it further and we lag behind other Premiership clubs a little but many have full time staffs dedicated to that side of things. George I'm sure will be a big asset to the club and I would very much hope that the club's social media profile will continue to grow. I would like to be part of that growth but if not life goes on. This season is already my last with the programme. My choice before anyone asks.

That will be news to many of us. Can I start the ball rolling with a great big THANK YOU for the great job you've done over the years! (How many years, exactly?)

That will be news to many of us. Can I start the ball rolling with a great big THANK YOU for the great job you've done over the years! (How many years, exactly?)

22 years as co-editor and editor.

It's stopped being fun and started to become a real chore and I think when that happens it's best to hand it on to someone else. I don't envy them but quite fancy the odd wee guest article. I hope to continue to do other things with the Club though.

Meamtime I'm counting down the programmes I've got left to do! :-)

Edited to add: I'll still have a connection with the programme as my better half, Alison, will carry on selling the thing so she can continue to flirt with her 'gentlemen' on a matchday.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 1

To be honest it was more luck than anything else, I pretty much just fell into my association with Thistle. Not much more too it than that but obviously it's been highly beneficial for me.

I don't think TAG is dead in the water either. I couldn't say for sure but a relaunch in the future wouldn't be unexpected. I think the club were playing catch up in the summer after promotion and implementing the new season ticket programme so it kind of fell to one side. I think they recognise its benefits though so it should be something that reappears eventually.

To be honest it was more luck than anything else, I pretty much just fell into my association with Thistle. Not much more too it than that but obviously it's been highly beneficial for me.

I don't think TAG is dead in the water either. I couldn't say for sure but a relaunch in the future wouldn't be unexpected. I think the club were playing catch up in the summer after promotion and implementing the new season ticket programme so it kind of fell to one side. I think they recognise its benefits though so it should be something that reappears eventually.

Thanks for passing that on Lewis. It is genuinely appreciated and my next point is not in any way a dig at you.

But is this how are to find out news from the club in future? Had Lewis not been doing his research, how would we ever have found out that the club are still hoping to relaunch it?

• Administrators

It's been brought to our attention that all is not as it seems with this survey and so after much consideration, we've decided to not allow it on the site at this time.