Don't Worry, Be Happy

Big Dave

I've been reading a few posts on here and everyone seems a bit down about the new season. I've always been a bit of a happy clapper, so let's not forget why we're different. This is my 37th season of going to watch the Jags and I still get excited the night before a game. Just imagine being an old firm fan. Hated and ridiculed by all. We may not win anything again but at least we don't take ourselves too seriously, and there's always the chance something good might happen. Come on the Jags!!

I've been reading a few posts on here and everyone seems a bit down about the new season. I've always been a bit of a happy clapper, so let's not forget why we're different. This is my 37th season of going to watch the Jags and I still get excited the night before a game. Just imagine being an old firm fan. Hated and ridiculed by all. We may not win anything again but at least we don't take ourselves too seriously, and there's always the chance something good might happen. Come on the Jags!!

Well said ! Like the young boy in the TV advert I'm always optimistic as a new season kicks off.What is it he says? " Just remember this time last year Blackpool were relegation candidates and Tottenham could only dream about a top four place." That's what makes football such a great game - the uncertainty. And like him, I still go aslong with unbounded optimism!

admin! The report button doesn't seem to be working! I've tried applying it to the each of the previous three posts with no avail.

Surely a Jags website forum is no place for such blatantly positive posts?

Disgraceful :thumbdown:

Indeed. I'll redress the balance. 2-0 Raith Rovers today. Even taken them on ma coupon.

To me, that is a proper Thistle perspective. I regret that in recent times we've somehow forgotten what being a Jag really means. That's not a criticism of anyone; you pays your money and so you deserve the right to have a go when things seem to be on an eternal downward spiral. But we all know deep in our hearts that being a Jag isn't purely about success or even efficiency. Last week's turn out at Annan and the antics conducted by Thistle fans there gave a wee glimpse of the real Thistle spirit thing.

A lot of events have led us into the gloomy existence of recent years and not all of them are attributable to PTFC itself: the horrible way the league's structured; having to play the same miserable opposition up to five or six times a year; the marginalisation of clubs of our size, itself a result of the uber-glamourisation of the big clubs particularly the EPL; televising of those big-boy outfits; the recession; and a whole host of other factors.

On the odd occasion that we have a 'big game' coming up - such as the cup games against the H*ns, and the promotion push of two seasons ago, particularly the game at St Johnstone - I still get a tingle all over in the days leading up to it and I'm sure most of us still do. That's always been the case, but following Thistle has always carried more lows than highs, that's just how it is. And that's why the highs always feel and taste so much more special to us than if we followed the ugly sisters for example.

The new campaign gets under way today guys, the latest in your Thistle following careers, so let's get behind the Jags and enjoy it for all we can.

Big Dave is spot on for me. We are Thistle and let's never forget.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Despite suffering 47 years of largely unleneting pessimism, I applaud Big Dave for his sentiments, and as usual Blackpool Jags (why the plural, I mean is he three different guys in the one entity, like the holy trinity? I'm not agin it, I merely ask) is 100 spot on. Though a clinical psychologist may have a different explanation of why we're 'different'.

A good season is when this feeling doesn't wear off before Christmas!

Edited by Semi Nurainen

Despite suffering 47 years of largely unleneting pessimism, I applaud Big Dave for his sentiments, and as usual Blackpool Jags (why the plural, I mean is he three different guys in the one entity, like the holy trinity? I'm not agin it, I merely ask) is 100 spot on. Though a clinical psychologist may have a different explanation of why we're 'different'.

A good season is when this feeling doesn't wear off before Christmas!

Em, no idea, SN. I once tried explaining it to Crazy Davie but ended up not knowing why myself. I'm not the Holy Trininity, not that I've got anything against threesomes (fnar fnar), but simply more atheistic than into mysticism. That's it really. :thinking:

Genuinely sorry I couldn't be more explanative. I do think I've got some explaining to do, though, particularly to myself.

Seems with hindsight I wasn't anywhere near pessimistic enough, since I only predicted a 2-0 defeat with the Bombscare red-carded, and they managed four - getting one from the Bomscare as a bonus along with the sending off.

I think our only hope now is some help from the Holy Trinity - or even just one of them.

Edited by Semi Nurainen