St Mirren Game

mhs

I missed today because well quite frankly after the games on Saturday and Tuesday I couldn't stomach any more torture. On Tuesday when we played with Two up front for the last 20 mins we looked like scoring. I see again today Archie's subs were like for like as per usual showing no desire to change the formation to go for the win with dools replacing Taylor.

Can I ask of those that were at the game, did we look any closer to scoring after dools came on? Or did we look exactly the same? I don't understand why Archie makes all these subs because he starts with in his mind his best 11 and then just changes personnel so how are these subs supposed to benefit us when he's replacing like for like when these guys arent good enough for the first 11 in the first place?

I support Archie completely but he seems to be of the whyte and Gerry era in that we have decided a formation to win the game and we won't change it no matter how the game is panning out.

So frustrating and apologies for pointing out the obvious.

Edited by kennymac29
  • Like 1

Just read the Daily Record report and they've managed to contradict themselves in the first paragraph or so. In the headline it's "a dull draw" whilst in the first paragraph it's "an entertaining but goalless encounter". Which one was it?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/st-mirren-v-partick-thistle-3060003

• Like 1

I missed today because well quite frankly after the games on Saturday and Tuesday I couldn't stomach any more torture. On Tuesday when we played with Two up front for the last 20 mins we looked like scoring. I see again today Archie's subs were like for like as per usual showing no desire to change the formation to go for the win with dools replacing Taylor.

Can I ask of those that were at the game, did we look any closer to scoring after dools came on? Or did we look exactly the same? I don't understand why Archie makes all these subs because he starts with in his mind his best 11 and then just changes personnel so how are these subs supposed to benefit us when he's replacing like for like when these guys arent good enough for the first 11 in the first place?

I support Archie completely but he seems to be of the whyte and Gerry era in that we have decided a formation to win the game and we won't change it no matter how the game is panning out.

So frustrating and apologies for pointing out the obvious.

We looked no worse or better scoring wise when we swapped strikers. As you say the changes were like for like so there was no change in tactics. Like you I think the option of two up front looked good and seems well worth trying for 90 mins. With Higgy injured and Erskine not eligible next week then maybe the DU game is the ideal opportunity to change formation.

If there's all to be enthusiastic about given our piss poor form, squandered points and upcoming opposition (other than of course the classic wearethistle happy-clapping mantra of 'well at least we're in the big league!') then I'd be more than happy to hear about it, sport.

What where you expecting in this league 1 win 3 draws and a defeat in the last 5 games? What should it be in your opinion?

What where you expecting in this league 1 win 3 draws and a defeat in the last 5 games? What should it be in your opinion?

Except I'm not looking at the last 5 games specifically. Like I've said over the last few weeks, draws against Ross County, Kilmarnock and St Mirren aren't all that bad when considered in isolation. Valuable as the 3 points were, anything other than beating Hearts would have been embarrassing. What is a far more alarming statistic however is that we have won just once in 15 games, and are yet to win at all at Firhill. And with the team we have, which I actually feel is pretty talented on its day, I was expecting better than that yes. Bottling points over the last few games as we have done now puts pressure on us putting a winning run together against the better teams in the division over the coming weeks to avoid becoming stranded in 11th position, and on recent showings I just don't feel that that is realistic.

Higginbotham had to go off - he got six stitches across his knee joint. Erskine took a bad one and wasn't moving well when he came back on after treatment. Taylor looked as if he was running out of steam. First two, the manage has no choice, last it's a risk not to replace Taylor - if you sub someone else and he's then too knackered to do anything then you're effectively playing a man down (or half a man down). Don't forget the conditions yesterday, really energy sapping. You needed 11 fit players on the park.

And, yes I'd like to see Doolan/Taylor combined in the team and I think it could be done without changing our formation much if at all. But Doolan has scored for us this season playing the one up front so it was a reasonable substitution at the time. There's no way criticism of his use of subs makes sense, he was pretty much forced to make them.

Not a lot can said pro or con re yesterday's substitutions as all three were forced tho' Taylor wouldn't have lasted much longer in any case. In fact given the conditions not much can be said about the game. In general both teams played sensibly enough to the conditions and the fact it remained goalless was down to a combination of good defending and incredible luck.

That cracker from ATS will look good on his CV video. Maybe the best "wrong foot" shot I've seen from a Jags player since Rowson scored with his left at Cappielow a decade ago.

If we're allowed to feel sorry for ourselves I think we were hard done by the Higgy tackle. Firstly he may well have gone on to score, tho' a normal tackle on him would most times only warrant a yellow. Secondly I felt the team was set up for the Taylor, Higginbotham & Erskine attack. Playing both Chris & Higgy quite likely require a bit of planning. Wee Lawless struggled in the conditions more than I think Kallum would have. The Wee Man looked as knackered towards the end of the game as those who'd played the full 90 mins. Lastly I assumed Higginbotham had fallen badly and didn't think at the time a red card was warranted. Six stitches across the knee suggests a worse tackle and perhaps the St Mirren fella got off lightly.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Im suprised more hasn't been made of Naithsmiths tackle on Higgy.The picture in the Record shows studs,a straight leg and above knee hight.He made no attempt for the ball at all. A delibrate cynical attempt to iinjure a player and against most teams it would have been a straight Red..

If he had done that to an old firm player there would be uproar.Other managers like Adams or Mc Innes would be bleating about it all over the press.

As much as Danny Lennon is loved by the Jags fans his team are the dirtiest most cynical bunch of hammerthrowers we play against. Our two most creative players were litlerally kicked off the park yesterday .

Edited by angry gaz

Yes , the buddies were far from friendly with their tackles but I'm glad at least to see that we are now taking it better, also getting stuck in when need be. Thought the game wasnt a bad or dull one under the circumstances , the weather played a big part, what really does encourage me is the travelling support, its great to see so many Jags fans together in these away stadiums, and in good voice generally, a draw was a fair result , we wont go down despite the poor results of late, and even if we have to go into play offs we're more than capable of winning it, so have no fear , next season will be much better, lets hear it for The Jags !!

Heard Archie being interviewed on the way back in the car and guy asked him about Ryan Stevenson coming in. Archie was non committal but did say he hopes to get another one in.

According to the BBC gossip section Stevenson was at Ibrox yesterday for signing talks. If correct, then it is no wonder the players said no to a 15% wage cut. Administration or a sugar daddy, what will it be, I wonder.....

Edited by David Stevenson

According to the BBC gossip section Stevenson was at Ibrox yesterday for signing talks. If correct, then it is no wonder the players said no to a 15% wage cut. Administration or a sugar daddy, what will it be, I wonder.....

According to Hearts supporters he was there to watch Ian Black and his mate Templeton. Would not make sense for him to go to Ibrox when they have already won the league and do not need any more players - if anything they drastically need to reduce their numbers.

However Hearts see him as a massive player for their Semi final cup game against ICT which takes place in February 2nd so I cant see them releasing him anyway.

The other flip side of the coin is that Under John Joker Highes ICT's form has been even worse than both ours and Hearts lately and he really seems to have ICT struggling at present - so maybe they dont need Stevenson for this game.

Also noted that Archie said even on Stevenson's reduced wages at Hearts we probably could not match them which shows how low our budget really is

Just read the Daily Record report and they've managed to contradict themselves in the first paragraph or so. In the headline it's "a dull draw" whilst in the first paragraph it's "an entertaining but goalless encounter". Which one was it?

http://www.dailyreco...thistle-3060003

Not that, dear Sunnylaw, is where you went wrong...

I think the sugar daddy will wait until Administration so he can pick the club up for pennies.

According to Hearts supporters he was there to watch Ian Black and his mate Templeton. Would not make sense for him to go to Ibrox when they have already won the league and do not need any more players - if anything they drastically need to reduce their numbers.

I would have thought that one of Hearts few senior players should really have been with the young squad as they went into a game at Dingwall even if only for the sake of morale, but maybe that's just me. I fully agree that it doesn't make sense for him to go to Ibrox as a player, but when did sense play any part in what goes on over there?

Given that Stevenson plays in the LC semi (which takes place after the window shuts), he would presumably be there for the duration of the season unless they freed him?

Back on the original topic...

Missed the game on Saturday, but having read the various reports I think one thing is obvious - we didn't put the St Mirren goal under enough threat.

I mean, Jim Goodwin didn't have a save to make. ;-)

A fair point. Not much pressure on either goal really. I noticed that Sportscene edited out Thompson's howler. Don't want to embarrass their own staff, presumably.