Awful Substitutions - Yet Again

simoncordiner

I don't imagine anyone knows who Archie was going to take off originally when Doolan was ready to come on. It may just have been like for like with Taylor tho' I rather suspect he wanted some overlap time. Maybe some of the folk going on about the substitutions are the same folk wanting to see Taylor & Doolan play together. At 2-2 away from home against a top six side I can't see us play two strikers plus Higgy and Erskine. Had Kallum or Chris gone off for Doolan at 2-2 perhaps few would be complaining.

I was actually surprised that Higgy lasted as long as he did. Think he was running on pure adrenalin just before he was subbed. He covered as much territory as a box to box midfielder and then more. I saw him in the right back position in the 2nd half not that long before the penalty and earlier unfortunately at the time it was Kallum that got his foot to Motherwell's first equaliser. Factor in the heavy pitch and I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Maybe on hindsight Muirhead coming on instead of Craigen could've helped us defend in the air better but at the same time it would've put us even more on the back foot.

I got the impression that we were denied a win or at least a draw more down to static defending. Gallacher and Mair, who otherwise have been excellent and have brought some savvy into the team, were the two worst offenders.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett