Run In To The Split

twinny

I was looking at our next four fixtures thinking that other than the Hearts game, we have little chance of picking up points. I then thought about how all four clubs at risk of finishing in the play-off spot (I think Hibs are too far ahead unfortunately) might go into the final five fixtures. So here are the run ins to the split:

Jags

Inverness (A) Sat 22 March

Celtic (H) Wed 26 March

St Johnstone (A) Sat 29 March

Hearts (H) Sat 5 April

St Mirren

Celtic (A) Sat 22 March

St Johnstone (H) Tue 25 March

Inverness (A) Sat 29 March

Motherwell (H) Sat 5 April

Ross County

Motherwell (A) Sat 22 March

Aberdeen (H) Tue 25 March

Celtic (A) Sat 29 March

Inverness (H) Fri 4 April

Kilmarnock

Aberdeen (A)

Motherwell (A)

St Johnstone (H)

So none of us have games against bottom half teams, other than us against Hearts. That should mean picking up points in the bottom half will be difficult over the next few weeks. With us and Ross County in better form (nine points out of six games for us, eight for County compared with five for Killie and three for St Mirren) we seem more likely to pick up the odd point.

My redundant prediction is that we'll pick up four points before the split, three vs Hearts and a draw elsewhere. St Mirren could get two but they could also come away with none. Despite their capitulation against Dundee Utd they did manage to get into a winning position in the first place. I can see County winning both home games but four points is probably realistic for them. Killie don't have an easy run but always seem to be able to win games and could get three or four.

One thing is, Celtic, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen will have a big say in deciding the outlook in the bottom half come 5pm on 5th April. Our bonus is that we have Hearts at home and need to make the most of it.

I'll go with...

3 v Inverness

0 v Celtic

1 v St. Johnstone

3 v Hearts

What's the protocol for the split matches? Based on who we've played away and who we've played at home, our fixtures should be...

Hibernian (a)

Kilmarnock (a)

Hearts (a)

St. Mirren (h)

Ross County (h)

Doesn't always work like that though, does it?

The way we are playing I reckon we can beat any of them and that includes Sellik. They haven't steamrollered us this season and in fact have been lucky to beat us in both games a fact admitted by my 2 Sellik season ticket mates who don't usually give credit to other teams very often

• Members

What's the protocol for the split matches? Based on who we've played away and who we've played at home, our fixtures should be...

Hibernian (a)

Kilmarnock (a)

Hearts (a)

St. Mirren (h)

Ross County (h)

I'm not certain, but I'm reasonably sure that all the teams will have to have a 3/2 split of home and away games. So potentially you could have one team that has played all the other teams away twice already this season and would therefore have to play 2 (probably) away again?

I'll go with...

3 v Inverness

0 v Celtic

1 v St. Johnstone

3 v Hearts

Hibernian (a)

Kilmarnock (a)

Hearts (a)

St. Mirren (h)

Ross County (h)

Pre-split

Home \ Away[1] HOM HIB KIL PAR ROS STM Heart of Midlothian s 2–1 Hibernian 2–1 2–3 Kilmarnock 4–2 1–1 2–2 Partick Thistle s 3- 1 1–1 Ross County 1–2 1–1 2–1 St Mirren 2–0 0–0

Post-split (assumption)

Home \ Away[1] HOM HIB KIL PAR ROS STM Heart of Midlothian s s s Hibernian s s s Kilmarnock s s Partick Thistle s s Ross County s s St Mirren s s s

This will mean each team will have played each other twice at home and twice away. Each team will have 19 home games, except Hibs who play 20. No idea why I used the letter s to mark games to be played. Any mistakes are completely my own.

Just worked out all the fixtures to be played with a disclaimer on the number of home games Hibs get, but the formatting didn't work. I'll sort it out later. Everyone gets two or three home games and sees each other team in the bottom half twice at home and twice away over the season. Hibs get a 20th home game but everyone else finishes on 19. The prediction must have been that Hibs would finish top half.

Just worked out all the fixtures to be played with a disclaimer on the number of home games Hibs get, but the formatting didn't work. I'll sort it out later. Everyone gets two or three home games and sees each other team in the bottom half twice at home and twice away over the season. Hibs get a 20th home game but everyone else finishes on 19. The prediction must have been that Hibs would finish top half.

I think Aberdeen replacing Ross County in the top 6 from last year will be the reason for any discrepancy.

Pleased enough with tonight's results. The fact that County were winning for much of their match lessens any gloominess re them getting a point on us. I didn't think St Mirren would come away with zilch tonight so happy with that result.

Also notice that Morton are increasingly looking unlikely to even make the play offs. This time last season :thinking:

Morton can get relegated if results go against them Saturday. What a difference a year makes.

Too true. Just over a year ago they were adamant that we wouldn't win the league playing so many youngsters. After that little hiccup you've got to admire them sticking to their philosophy of using seasoned players. Just maybe tho' playing the likes of Mssrs Novo, O'Conner, Vine, Imrie etc has backfired. Still there's nothing like experience :)

I was looking at our next four fixtures thinking that other than the Hearts game, we have little chance of picking up points. I then thought about how all four clubs at risk of finishing in the play-off spot (I think Hibs are too far ahead unfortunately) might go into the final five fixtures. So here are the run ins to the split:

Jags

Inverness (A) Sat 22 March

Celtic (H) Wed 26 March

St Johnstone (A) Sat 29 March

Hearts (H) Sat 5 April

St Mirren

Celtic (A) Sat 22 March

St Johnstone (H) Tue 25 March

Inverness (A) Sat 29 March

Motherwell (H) Sat 5 April

Ross County

Motherwell (A) Sat 22 March

Aberdeen (H) Tue 25 March

Celtic (A) Sat 29 March

Inverness (H) Fri 4 April

Kilmarnock

Aberdeen (A)

Motherwell (A)

St Johnstone (H)

So none of us have games against bottom half teams, other than us against Hearts. That should mean picking up points in the bottom half will be difficult over the next few weeks. With us and Ross County in better form (nine points out of six games for us, eight for County compared with five for Killie and three for St Mirren) we seem more likely to pick up the odd point.

My redundant prediction is that we'll pick up four points before the split, three vs Hearts and a draw elsewhere. St Mirren could get two but they could also come away with none. Despite their capitulation against Dundee Utd they did manage to get into a winning position in the first place. I can see County winning both home games but four points is probably realistic for them. Killie don't have an easy run but always seem to be able to win games and could get three or four.

One thing is, Celtic, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen will have a big say in deciding the outlook in the bottom half come 5pm on 5th April. Our bonus is that we have Hearts at home and need to make the most of it.

So far we've picked up one point like I suggested, but if we beat Hearts we're in a good position. Everything else seems similar to what I suggested, although predicting bottom half teams to lose to top half teams isn't exactly Nostradamus-like. Killie and County both have winnable games on Saturday too. The only thing I got wrong was how shite Hibs are, they're back to their start of season form and have three points from seven matches.