Morton...sad Demise Delayed

thebiglemon

Did you see that old version of The Match that they showed last season? Thistle vs Morton at Cappillow from the 80s. Football was shocking!

cormack, rooney, fathun, lamont, sandraclark ..... with exception of lambies first coming, there wasn't much to be cheerful about with the football in the naughty eighties.

Edited by yoda-jag

cormack, rooney, fathun, lamont, sandraclark ..... with exception of lambies first coming, there wasn't much to be cheerful about with the football in the naughty eighties.

There's footage on youtube of a game between us and Forfar in the mid 80s. Forfar defeat us of course, and it looks like the kind of crowd you'd expect at a reserve game.

There's footage on youtube of a game between us and Forfar in the mid 80s. Forfar defeat us of course, and it looks like the kind of crowd you'd expect at a reserve game.

If it is the game I think it is; then it's Lambie's first game in charge first time around. Gubbed 2-1.

• Like 1

I've a feeling it might be Derek Rae - I'll need to check out the youtube video. He did them around that time.

Derek Rae was a riot- developed an American accent and used American sports terminology..............

"Jags are 1 for 5 on the road" etc

Richard Gordon became annoyed with this if I recall before he buggered off to ESPN

Rowan Vine at Morton. :o

According to a Hibs fan I know, he was on 36 grand-a-week at QPR five years ago.

IMHO, All the money the Morton onwner has spent in players, he should have used it on redeveloping the ground, making it attracting for fans, then he should have started building a team capable of achieving promotions, whatever division they would be playing in.

But of course he thought the way he did things was the shortest to reach the top. Unfortunately, sometimes it is the longest.

When Bertie came back to replace Rooney, things looked on the up......... then DJ came, also the cup run under Lamont to meet Celtic in the quarters was great, late comeback at Forfar, win the replay at Firhill, Latec omeback at Kilbowie, win the replay at Firhill

For those who missed it...

http://www.greenockt...srsquo-oconnor/

That is 100% box office from Dougie. O'Connor will obviously be gone soon and I don't think Shiels will be too far behind him.

Predictably, Dougie is taking absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for the position that Morton are in. Sums him up as an individual really.

You can't start addressing a problem until you admit that there is something wrong in the first place.

There you have the reason why Morton are going down. No one admitted there was a problem until it was too late.

Of course it goes back longer than this, Dougie hasn't put the infrastructure in place to compete with the top teams. It's all very well throwing money at players but not a penny has been spent on the ground, training facilities etc.

He moans about the lack of crowds as well, actually blames the fans! Did it ever cross his mind that the reason no one was turning up was because the ground is an absolute sh*thole and hasn't had any investment in decades?

As I said further up, the fact that he takes absolutely no responsibility for the position Morton are in sums him up as an individual.

For those who missed it...

http://www.greenockt...srsquo-oconnor/

They lost £200,000 last season and he cut the budget by just 10%? Crazy.

And who exactrly is he blaming for the low crowds? The fans that actually go to the games? Obviously not. So those that don't go? Well, he'd be as well going to Sauchiehall Street at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and shouting "you are all a shower of c***s for not going to Cappielow" for all the sense that makes. He's been Mr Morton for long enough he should know the number of people prepared to pay close to £20 to stand in a crumbling stadium and should be able to set a budget accordingly. If Morton's gates don't support a full-time set up pushing for the top league then so be it.

The man has pumped a lot of money into Morton - the club was all but dead on its' knees when Hugh Scott was running it into the ground - but he has spent it badly.

To be fair the article in the Evening Times on either Wednesday or Tuesday night is at times more scathing as he also has a go at the manager as well quote " Kenny was doing cartwheels when we signed O'Connor he said he would get us goals well he did one"

I think that there might be trouble at mill down Greenock way with Rae and the manager. The other thing about the article in the Evening Times was him still bleating on about the Easdales and how they would be better putting money into Morton rather than the new Rangers desperate ramblings from a desperate man. However really glad that it is happening to Morton as totally despise their fans and ground.

Anyone who has seen Declan McDaid play a few times will know he's now showing the ability to have played for Morton this season. But if he had stayed with them he wouldn't have got a look in. He'd not have received the necessary coaching to reach first team level but even if he had he wouldn't have played under a manager who would've given him the chance. Bringing him to Firhill was akin to rescuing a puppy from a neglectful owner.

If Rae doesn't think he's responsible for overseeing the way his club is managed then he'd be well advised to squander his money elsewhere. He and his outfit are getting what they deserve. Nuff said about that lot

Anyone who has seen Declan McDaid play a few times will know he's now showing the ability to have played for Morton this season. But if he had stayed with them he wouldn't have got a look in. He'd not have received the necessary coaching to reach first team level but even if he had he wouldn't have played under a manager who would've given him the chance. Bringing him to Firhill was akin to rescuing a puppy from a neglectful owner.

If Rae doesn't think he's responsible for overseeing the way his club is managed then he'd be well advised to squander his money elsewhere. He and his outfit are getting what they deserve. Nuff said about that lot

Interesting point about McDaid and very true. His cousin is a mate of mine.

He is widely regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in Scotland yet Morton never even offered him a deal. He actually turned down a late approach from Celtic to join us.

Interesting point about McDaid and very true. His cousin is a mate of mine.

He is widely regarded as one of the most promising youngsters in Scotland yet Morton never even offered him a deal. He actually turned down a late approach from Celtic to join us.

I didnt realise that Ian, certainly very good news to hear and shows the lads potential :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

When Bertie came back to replace Rooney, things looked on the up......... then DJ came, also the cup run under Lamont to meet Celtic in the quarters was great, late comeback at Forfar, win the replay at Firhill, Latec omeback at Kilbowie, win the replay at Firhill

Yeah, I always thought that was a disgrace the way Auld was treated, especially considering who he was replaced with. IIRC Auld saved us from relegation and looked to be getting the team on the right lines again. Unfortunately Bates had taken over and wanted his own man in and that was BFDJ, Terrible time - made worse by the fact we got a couple of good loan signings from Chelsea (one was a very young Dodds) and had one or two other decent players but BFDJ was so useless a manager the team as a whole was rubbish.

Yeah, I always thought that was a disgrace the way Auld was treated, especially considering who he was replaced with. IIRC Auld saved us from relegation and looked to be getting the team on the right lines again. Unfortunately Bates had taken over and wanted his own man in and that was BFDJ, Terrible time - made worse by the fact we got a couple of good loan signings from Chelsea (one was a very young Dodds) and had one or two other decent players but BFDJ was so useless a manager the team as a whole was rubbish.

Sure I read somewhere that DJ didn't want the job at all. Bates basically told him to take the job or else.

Sure I read somewhere that DJ didn't want the job at all. Bates basically told him to take the job or else.

Bates initially wanted the Chelsea assistant, Ian McNeil - a Scot, to take over as manager but he refused and eventually had to plump for Johnstone who was initially appointed in the player-coach role.

There are many stories about Johnstone's lack of interest in the manager's role none better than him sitting in Molly office during the second half of a game with Morton in which he had 'played' the first 45 minutes. The rotund Johnstone was sipping a cup of tea while the game was going on and had to ask someone what the score was. We were gubbed 5-2 that afternoon and it could have been more. It was really John Haggart that was our manager for the bulk of that season.

Sorry ian, I constantly seem to be quoting your posts these days!

In August 87 at a friendly at Stenhousemuir I found myself leaning on the boundry fence blethering to none other than Jackie Husband. He told me that he had been fed up with the approach DJ took as manager and had tried to give him some advice. He said he never made the transition from player to manager and acted as "one of the lads". He told me that they had met up later and that DJ admitted that he should have taken Jackie's advice.

Bates initially wanted the Chelsea assistant, Ian McNeil - a Scot, to take over as manager but he refused and eventually had to plump for Johnstone who was initially appointed in the player-coach role.

There are many stories about Johnstone's lack of interest in the manager's role none better than him sitting in Molly office during the second half of a game with Morton in which he had 'played' the first 45 minutes. The rotund Johnstone was sipping a cup of tea while the game was going on and had to ask someone what the score was. We were gubbed 5-2 that afternoon and it could have been more. It was really John Haggart that was our manager for the bulk of that season.

Sorry ian, I constantly seem to be quoting your posts these days!

As someone who wasn't around back then I find that whole episode of the club's history quite fascinating. I don't quite know why, probably because it all seems so bizarre. Ken Bates owning Thistle? Derek Johnstone being forced in to managing the team and spending the games sitting in his office?

I've also heard of altercations between Bates and irate supporters in the main stand during some particularly harrowing defeats.

It all just sounds like complete and utter carnage. What's not to like?

As someone who wasn't around back then I find that whole episode of the club's history quite fascinating. I don't quite know why, probably because it all seems so bizarre. Ken Bates owning Thistle? Derek Johnstone being forced in to managing the team and spending the games sitting in his office?

I've also heard of altercations between Bates and irate supporters in the main stand during some particularly harrowing defeats.

It all just sounds like complete and utter carnage. What's not to like?

Good Lord ...