Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Who's been busy? I know Dundee have brought a few players in and St. Mirren signed a striker, but other than there doesn't appear to have been a rash of signings.

Pretty sure Hamilton paraded three or four players last week, Killie have brought in a couple and were in the mix to sign Goodwillie, Dundee we already know, Ross Co are trialling about 100 players as usual. All I am saying is that it would give the whole club a boost if we could get a couple in asap. Getting a bit depressing picking up the papers and seeing clubs, linked with or signing up players, but zilch about Firhill activity. From last season we have lost ATS, Taylor, Bauban, Osborne, Mair and it looks like Gabby is offski. All first team regulars. With fitness doubts over SOD and Welsh, that means we need plenty in. Be good to see some of them coming in and getting settled at the club....the season starts in around 4 weeks!

We have players on trial.

Said before but not sure Magnay any better than Mair or Gabby for that matter.

As for players on trial, it concerns me that we knew Sinclair offski a year ago but we've got someone on trial rather than a target identified & ready to sign.

Same as the centre half position. Why release Mair if it's trialists we're looking at?

Mair was the answer in January but not in May so surely the management team have an idea as to who is without bringng them in on trial.

& if Barr the answer, someone tell me what the question is?! Not the worst but in the last couple of years he's had injury upon injury & don't think he's worth the risk..

You'd think we were the only team looking for players the way people go on.

Our re-signings have been just as important as any new signings. Of the three new players Hamilton have signed, two are 'keepers and one is Dougie Imrie. Kilmarnock are in transition. They've lost the player who arguably kept them up last season, so the signing of Lee Miller shouldn't really come as a surprise. Turning to Dundee, of those players they've signed would you have taken McGowan or Harkins over Stevenson? Would you have approached Thomson and McPake with anything other than a shitty stick?

I really don't think there's any need to ring the alarm bells just yet.

• Like 3

Can see both sides points of view on lack of signings. In a slightly different note would have liked to have heard higanbotham and mcdaid putting pen to paper on new deals. Would have expected Archie to have targeted a new deal for higgy but reckon perhaps kallum maybe looking for more financially lucrative deals next summer

A good few egos been signed by Dundee but the one with the biggest ego is their obnoxious manager. Fully expect them to implode.

Meanwhile the race with Livi to be first into three administrations has probably been put on hold. As Dark P points out Dundee will benefit from a few derbies just as Livi will benefit from a 10K capacity ground this coming season. That said I won't be the slightest bit surprised to see Dundee fans back out with the begging bowl in the not too distant future.

I really don't think there's any need to ring the alarm bells just yet.

And nobody is. All that was said was that it would be good to see some activity through the indoor. Was it not Archie that said he was hoping to get all his business done ASAP??

I'm sure he's done everything possible.

And I am sure he has, however a couple of good signings could see a few more Season Tickets being shifted! Nothing like a few signings to generate interest and excitement about next season. A lot of us were getting mega excited about the prospect of Doolan, Taylor, Higginbotham and Stevenson in our attack next season,since then it's gone a bit flat. Still I am confident Archie will have a few in, in the near future

Silence from Firhill is deafening, no comment from Archie recently. Fans getting frustrated

hey give the guy a break he is rushing around trying to get anyone to sign just to keep you all happy oh and little things like spain and other training stuff how dare he not keep you informed in all contract negotiations :worship:

• Like 1

hey give the guy a break he is rushing around trying to get anyone to sign just to keep you all happy oh and little things like spain and other training stuff how dare he not keep you informed in all contract negotiations :worship:

Agree! Mind you apparently he was at T in the park. Plenty of trialists there.

Just a few points.

1. Yes, lee mair should have been released. Just because we don't immediately have someone lined up to replace him doesn't mean that we should have kept him, he did his job but is plainly not good enough for another season. The fact that he's gone part time with Dumbarton now says it all.

2. Dundee are a bigger club than ourselves so can plainly afford to spend more and it's only natural that a newly promoted team who, like them, rather scraped over the line would be bringing in players in large numbers. They also had a bit of a clear out I'm lead to believe.

3. None of us know what's happening behind the scenes, and as far as we know we could have a couple of guys who've all but signed.

4. Why do people seem to think trailing a player is a bad thing? I've said before but if a player is available, then why not get a first hand look at what he can do and how he fits in with the squad and system.

5. I'd rather be waiting all summer for a decent signing than finding out now that we've signed some utter pish like Ross Caldwell.

• Like 1

To be fair its a good point about ATS.. we have known for ages that he was going.. we should have had a list of prospective replacements sorted out before the end of the season.. Maybe a sign of our lack of scouting?

The fact we're yet to sign a left back doesn't mean we don't have any in mind.

• Like 1