Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I would hope we'd be looking for someone a bit younger and with a better goal-scoring rate than Gow. Don't mind a centre back in his 30s (provided fit) as we need experience in defence but other positions should be looking for players no older than mid 20s.

• Like 1

I would hope we'd be looking for someone a bit younger and with a better goal-scoring rate than Gow. Don't mind a centre back in his 30s (provided fit) as we need experience in defence but other positions should be looking for players no older than mid 20s.

we have such a young squad that maybe 2 players that age wouldn't be such a bad thing our most experienced players must be gallacher Stevenson and osbouene

Exactly.

Hoping this time next year we won't be contemplating signing any player that age as we'll have the experience we require by then.

gow is 31 or 32 at most. Thomson at st mirren is a striker and at least 34 and I'm sure a lot us would have been happy with him signing.

Also guys like McFadden Boyd Sutton are about the same age group. One or two in the early thirties is no problem

gow is 31 or 32 at most. Thomson at st mirren is a striker and at least 34 and I'm sure a lot us would have been happy with him signing.

Also guys like McFadden Boyd Sutton are about the same age group. One or two in the early thirties is no problem

Thompson, McFadden, Boyd & Sutton all have one thing in common that Gow doesn't have.

Having any outfield player in his thirties is a problem if he's not essential. Rather see us take a punt on a younger player who could realise a future transfer fee than waste a wage with no hope of a return..

• Like 1

Gow has always struck me as a talented but very mercenary character. Lambie tried to sign him when he was at Clydebank and if I remember correctly, he downright refused to speak to us as he had no intention of playing for a rival club which was admirable in a way, I suppose. However he sold such scruples for the Rangers pound, a period where he refused numerous loan deals in order to sit in the stand and pick up his thousands each week. Not a character that I'd be overly pleased to see in a Jags jersey.

Where's the suggestion we've got Cregg on trial come from? Not read of it anywhere apart from here.

Think he'd be a decent enough signing. We need a defensive mid for certain games. He'll probably help add some know how on seeing out the sort of games we collapsed in last season.

Where's the suggestion we've got Cregg on trial come from? Not read of it anywhere apart from here.

Think he'd be a decent enough signing. We need a defensive mid for certain games. He'll probably help add some know how on seeing out the sort of games we collapsed in last season.

Could be wrong but I think the chat was that he played a part in yesterday's closed door game.

Reports suggest Kilmarnock have offered Josh Magennis a contract.

The only worry being if that's the best Killie can do what's left...

Thankfully I don't believe our failure to have an established scouting network really kicks in here. Years to come tho', if that's not rectified, then it could be a real concern. At this moment in time I sense we're presenting ourselves as a club on the up I'm sure we can sign a player a bit more polished than Magennis.

I think tho' BGM has a point and if we don't get our scouting system in place sooner than later we could end up scrapping over similar type offerings.

To- day's Sunday post reports that 35 years ago St Mirren signed striker Frank Mc Dougall [great quiz question is name a player named after a flower/flour] from Clydebank for 180 thousand. Now clubs with all the money from Sky etc and increase in gate prices are scraping the barrel hunting round for free transfers.

To- day's Sunday post reports that 35 years ago St Mirren signed striker Frank Mc Dougall [great quiz question is name a player named after a flower/flour] from Clydebank for 180 thousand. Now clubs with all the money from Sky etc and increase in gate prices are scraping the barrel hunting round for free transfers.

Dear Lord...............I didn't realise anyone still read the Sunday Post. Is Lex Baillie still there...lol

Bosman killed that, players now wait till they are out of contract and have part of the transfer fee as their wages / signing on fee

Dear Lord...............I didn't realise anyone still read the Sunday Post. Is Lex Baillie still there...lol

hey, i learned my 'trade' on the sports desk of the sunday post which, in those days, featured in the 'guinness book of records' as the newspaper which boasted the highest readership per capita in the world. of course, after i left....