Jhs Fans And Season Ticket Holders.. Your Views?

Vom Itorium

As I said, we were in the JH for many years. How long have you been supporting the club? I ask because it was only just over 2 years ago that we were there previously.

It didn't work. The view may be better but the view isn't the main reason I go to the football. Many others is the same.

is it really that difficult to understand?

ian, with respect (now you know what's coming), if you're going to represent the fans, all of the fans and not just the ones who agree blindly with everything you say, then I think you should cool your responses a wee bit. We're all pretty much with you on this, but alternative views are permitted.

I have been in the North Stand a few times this season. enjoy the atmosphere but the view is garbage. Surely JH stand would give a better view of the game? The atmosphere is what you make of it surely? if the same group has their own section in the JH then there shouldn't be a problem with that. People withholfing their ST in favour of this just seems a bit ludicrous. In the interest of the club being more profitable. Why should they have 10,000 or so AVAILABLE seats on a matchday when their home average gate is around half of that. As the various extis in and around the staium would still have to be stewardded even if only a few folk were sitting there?

I can undersatnd why some might not enjoy the view. But the view is probably bottom of the list of priorities in terms of needs.... Plus you can alternatively look at it as, no one in the ground has a better view of the touchline, 18 yard box and goals at the north end. every corner taken at that end has us right on top of it. If the view wasn't so good that no one wanted it, why do tv companies put camera's behind the goal?

The JHS doesn't offer a better view, it offers an alternative view.

The atmosphere is what you make it, but the shape of the main stand doesn't allow the atmosphere you create, to be emited as well as from the north stand. and the atmosphere in the JHS was stiffled due to many reasons outwith our control. including police/stewarding intimidation at the north end, and being no where near the away support at the south end, amongst others.

I can understand if you don't feel passionately about this issue why you might find a boycott ludicrous, but i think its unfair to use that term and disrespectful to describe folks stand point just because you don't agree with it.

I'm not sure about your last point re finances, this move doesn't have any financial advantage, infact it's probably disadvantaging the club as having 600+ every home game in a not fit for purpose stand will cost more to steward, that it would to steward the majority of away teams who will be visiting Firhill, if they were in the Main Stand.

I used to take my two children to the games in the JHS when they were younger, now that they have grown up they have started to come on their own accord! to numerous games over the last two years with me in the NS.and they love it. i now have another 9 year old daughter who has come with me now and again over the last 5 years and when i do take her we sit in the JHS. Hopefully when she's older she will come on her own accord! and enjoy the experience of the excitement in the NS as the other two do.

Its all about match day experience that brings people back and hopefully engage in a season ticket.

Supported the club for 20+ years. Held a season ticket n the Jackie Husband since it opened. Admittedly have not attended as many games due to work but still attend on an ad-hoc basis. Have sat in both the JH and the NS last season several times. I used to sit around or near the back left of the JH when the "singing" section was there. Is that good enough for you?

If the view isn't the main reason you go the Firhill then why do you go? I pay at the gate and I walk in and I take my place and watch the match and support the team. I went into the NS for St Mirren game because I wanted an atmosphere, but when I got there I realised I couldn't see anything pretty much, unless it was in the North half of the pitch. Doolans goal, couldn't see shit...could only see a net ruffling.

What I do find difficult to understand is why so many people are getting really arsey about the matter, as to where they sit on a matchday.

• Like 1

ian, with respect (now you know what's coming), if you're going to represent the fans, all of the fans and not just the ones who agree blindly with everything you say, then I think you should cool your responses a wee bit. We're all pretty much with you on this, but alternative views are permitted.

I've never claimed to represent anyone. I've never asked to represent anyone. If anyone wants me to step aside and take my place at these meetings, they are very welcome.

Supported the club for 20+ years. Held a season ticket n the Jackie Husband since it opened. Admittedly have not attended as many games due to work but still attend on an ad-hoc basis. Have sat in both the JH and the NS last season several times. I used to sit around or near the back left of the JH when the "singing" section was there. Is that good enough for you?

If the view isn't the main reason you go the Firhill then why do you go? I pay at the gate and I walk in and I take my place and watch the match and support the team. I went into the NS for St Mirren game because I wanted an atmosphere, but when I got there I realised I couldn't see anything pretty much, unless it was in the North half of the pitch. Doolans goal, couldn't see shit...could only see a net ruffling.

What I do find difficult to understand is why so many people are getting really arsey about the matter, as to where they sit on a matchday.

I know this is hardly a Rosa Parks situation but how would you like it if the Club decided to move your season ticket to the North Stand? Or for that matter the Main Stand?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this was directed at myself RLUK, i'm sorry if i've upset you, it wasn't my intention to.

If it was directed to me i would say:

I didn't say the view isn't the main reason i go to firhill, i said the view is probably bottom of the list of priorities in terms of needs.... needs for the singing section to create an atmosphere! if view was most important, no one would go to away games, no?

No one has ever disputed the issue with the view of the south end from the NS, but the numbers prove that this isn't an issue... people are passionate about different things, you might not give two shits about this, but people, a great number of people do feel passionate and for many different reasons. I can not stop them from venting their frustration.

I think its also direspectful when you now use the term arsey, as i think the passion runs far deeper than someone who is just deliberately trying to annoy folk or disrupt, which would be my term of arsey.

Listen, i don't want to get drawn out in a long conversation, i've got IT to sell after lunch, but you are entitled to your opinion. if it's not for you, then thats not a problem.

That's fine. If the view is of paramount importance then the NS isn't for you.

I'm glad you remember the singing section being at the back left of the JH. by the end of the 11/12 season that area had become as quiet as the rest of the stadium. You'd be lucky to hear one song throughout the whole game. Myself and a few others had actually moved right down to the front of the JH to get some banter with the opposition players. That's how bad it was.

I find it hard to believe that you are suggesting we go back there simply because it's a better view.

I, and many others, are quite clear on this. Returning to that arrangement is not an option. The memories of those final few seasons in the JH are not happy ones. What you are suggesting is an absolute non-starter.

When I first bought my ST it was for the JH stand and always was. The North end of the ground has historically always housed away fans. Different entrances to that end of the ground from maryhill road etc means that Jags fans and away fans can pretty much be kept seperate altogether. That's always been the case. For that reason alone I'm surprised the NS situation was put through in the first place. It must cost the club money in terms of a bigger police presence when you have Jags fans entering the NS and the away fans going into the MS on the same street at the same time.

When I first bought my ST it was for the JH stand and always was. The North end of the ground has historically always housed away fans. Different entrances to that end of the ground from maryhill road etc means that Jags fans and away fans can pretty much be kept seperate altogether. That's always been the case. For that reason alone I'm surprised the NS situation was put through in the first place. It must cost the club money in terms of a bigger police presence when you have Jags fans entering the NS and the away fans going into the MS on the same street at the same time.

More money than having the home fans going into the main stand and away fans into the north stand on the same street at the same time???

Why open the Main Stand for anyone? Wasn't that part of the thinking behind moving the Hospitality form the Aitken Suite into the JH?

Unfortunately I think this could be where this is going. I think that having fans on three sides this season has been as important to the atmosphere as the NS singing section has. Going back to two sides would also have a very negative effect.

I've never claimed to represent anyone. I've never asked to represent anyone. If anyone wants me to step aside and take my place at these meetings, they are very welcome.

Apologies. I had thought you were representing the fans. My mistake.

Look, moving the NS into the JHS wouldn't work as to move them en masse now would more than likely mean that other season ticket holders would be asked to move. Given the strength of feeling, they might agree to a move, but it would be an administrative mess and is unnecessary.

Nobody should be asked to permanently sit in the Main stand - it's fine for away fans who will visit at most twice in a season, but not up to a standard to ask somebody to shell out £200+ a season to sit there. Improvements muted should be made as they are necessary, but not as a sweetener for our fans.

I'm a JHS season ticket holder.

The situation has been badly handled. No doubt about that. There should have been consultation. However, "we are where we are". It's about moving the situation forward. What is concerning as a JH ST holder is the threat of a boycott. A boycott which ultimately has a knock on effect for everyone.The club, the manager and the rest of us. I do find it ludicrous that it's being suggested, but people have the right to do what they want. Boycotting the team and manager that's given us the best two seasons in 25 years, with more to come, seems bizarre in the extreme.

What is also concerning is the fact that the guys in the NS seems to be saying it's the North stand or nothing. That's where it begins to get on my nerves a little bit. "Not an option". "Absolute Non Starter". That's not the language of people looking for a compromise. It's the language of intransigience.

IMO the NS group need to get hold of this and go back to the club with a constructive counter offer. My suggestion would be that there's no move next season and the club issue a statement saying they fvcked up. The statement should say that the move will happen the season after, but only after in depth consultation with various fans groups to see what arrangements need to be put in place to ensure a smooth transition.

If the North Stand boys let this drag on, they are in danger of isolating themselves from the rest of the support. When the new season starts, new signings have been made and we get off to a flyer, solidarity will quickly wane...

The idea that the Main Stand is unsuitable is blown out of the water by the fact that two sections of Motherwell fans created the best atmosphere at Firhill for a long time.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa

^^^^^^^^^ Don't seem to be able to quote for some reason so this'll have to do.

I'm all for a balanced debate, and not going for a 'my opinion is the correct one' but read that back - every paragraph contains a contradiction.

Edited by MerryHell

As a season ticket holder and regular visitor to the JH stand, I’ll respond to the original post

For me, it makes sense to use the Main Stand for the ‘singers’, ‘ultras’ or generally more passionate supporters among us. The atmosphere created by fans in that stand has been terrific. From a JH perspective, it’s been louder than the North Stand for most of the matches this season. I do appreciate that this may be more to do with our home form. Reducing the prices would also add to the growth potential and I’d like to see the entire stand full of red and yellow next season. It would look and sound great from the JH.

However, it is completely unacceptable to move a growing contingent without prior consultation and, if necessary, a carefully agreed compromise. As supporters, we must not let ourselves be bullied on this matter. On ANY matter.

What makes it a bit difficult, is that there are some inconsistences as to what the North Stand supporters really value. If they really aren’t bothered about their view or the facilities on offer, then why should the Main Stand’s fragilities be a factor here? I reckon the lads and ladettes would make it their own, just as they did with the North. After 2-3 games in there and a nice win or two, we may all begin to PREFER it, not least the players/coaching staff.

What was the feedback from the Celtic games? What was the atmosphere like? I missed the general consensus.

I look for a good view and the added atmosphere when I go to games. The Main Stand would become an attractive option for many JH supporters, which could help swell the numbers.

Over to the Supporters Federation – I hope you get the outcome YOU want. After all, it is YOU who will be most affected.

Forever and ever…

• Like 3

As a season ticket holder and regular visitor to the JH stand, I’ll respond to the original post

For me, it makes sense to use the Main Stand for the ‘singers’, ‘ultras’ or generally more passionate supporters among us. The atmosphere created by fans in that stand has been terrific. From a JH perspective, it’s been louder than the North Stand for most of the matches this season. I do appreciate that this may be more to do with our home form. Reducing the prices would also add to the growth potential and I’d like to see the entire stand full of red and yellow next season. It would look and sound great from the JH.

However, it is completely unacceptable to move a growing contingent without prior consultation and, if necessary, a carefully agreed compromise. As supporters, we must not let ourselves be bullied on this matter. On ANY matter.

What makes it a bit difficult, is that there are some inconsistences as to what the North Stand supporters really value. If they really aren’t bothered about their view or the facilities on offer, then why should the Main Stand’s fragilities be a factor here? I reckon the lads and ladettes would make it their own, just as they did with the North. After 2-3 games in there and a nice win or two, we may all begin to PREFER it, not least the players/coaching staff.

What was the feedback from the Celtic games? What was the atmosphere like? I missed the general consensus.

I look for a good view and the added atmosphere when I go to games. The Main Stand would become an attractive option for many JH supporters, which could help swell the numbers.

Over to the Supporters Federation – I hope you get the outcome YOU want. After all, it is YOU who will be most affected.

Forever and ever…

Totally agree with you

JHS season ticket holder with another 3 members of my family. When the singing section moved to the NS the 4 of us took 3 games at home to decide to move with the singing section. Loved it since we moved, but I have to agree with the last couple of posts. This year there has been some great atmosphere generating out of the main stand and actually thought to myself I would love to see us there. The 2 games against Celtic this year we were in the JHS so we never got to experience the atmosphere.

The view from the NS isn't really an issue with me and I don't see an issue with the posts in the main stand.

Want I think needs to stop is the threat of a boycott. We are all stunned by the actions of a few individuals, but I think the way they have done it is the thing that is really eating into many. **** the directors, Archie,and the youth teams are the main one that are going to be affected by this, they need our support and our money.

• Like 1

Without the threat of a boycott this u-turn by the club simply wouldn't be happening.

The ability to withhold revenue is the only power we have as fans.

For me personally it isn't about boycotting per say. I simply would not be interested in attending matches any more if this proposal is forced through.

People can choose not to go any more if they want to, you can't stop them. I know loads of people who have simply fallen away from attending matches over the years - there must be thousands of them. That's their choice. At least we are giving the club prior notice before doing this, and the chance to reverse our decision.

If the club is a business, as we were told on Saturday, they no longer have a god given right to our money. In any business, the revenue streams dry up when the product becomes undesirable to the customer. If we are moved out of the North Stand then that's exactly what will happen.

It's not a threat, it's just business. I'm sure the board understand this.

• Like 4

I'm a JH ST and happy to show some solidarity with the NS. Last season I mostly went to the NS which is braw if you've been in the pub and don't have any kids to contend with. This year I'm staking a claim to good seats at the city end.

I think you are deluded Ian, if you think it's a U turn. It's simply what should have been done in the first place. A consultation. The club have been pretty smart this time around in involving stakeholders who don't have a vested interest in the NS. It's a wide ranging group.

Your post seems to suggest it's your way or no way at all. That's interesting, because there's posts on these threads from people who attend the NS who ARE interested in moving to the Main Stand.

Are there any circumstances where you can see yourselves moving from the NS to the Main Stand? Is there anything the club can do to make that happen?

As for the club being a business, that's true. However, how many of these NS guys do you actually think will not attend anymore? 50? 100? In the grand scheme of things that amounts to 10-25k. The harsh reality is that the longer we stay in the top league, that type of money can be absorbed relatively easily.

One last thought. Can we stop it with the acoustics pi$h. Most games this season, the away support and the main stand has made a racket. I seem to recall we were piping the noise from the NS over the tannoy initially to make it louder?

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

I think you are deluded Ian, if you think it's a U turn. It's simply what should have been done in the first place. A consultation. The club have been pretty smart this time around in involving stakeholders who don't have a vested interest in the NS. It's a wide ranging group.

Your post seems to suggest it's your way or no way at all. That's interesting, because there's posts on these threads from people who attend the NS who ARE interested in moving to the Main Stand.

Are there any circumstances where you can see yourselves moving from the NS to the Main Stand? Is there anything the club can do to make that happen?

As for the club being a business, that's true. However, how many of these NS guys do you actually think will not attend anymore? 50? 100? In the grand scheme of things that amounts to 10-25k. The harsh reality is that the longer we stay in the top league, that type of money can be absorbed relatively easily.

One last thought. Can we stop it with the acoustics pi$h. Most games this season, the away support and the main stand has made a racket. I seem to recall we were piping the noise from the NS over the tannoy initially to make it louder?

Deluded? That's interesting. So if there hadn't been such a public outcry you think the club would have made the 2nd statement anyway?

I'm only speaking for myself Colin, no one else.

I can tell you that if we are moved to the main stand I won't be buying a season ticket. I've already stated why and so have countless others. You say there are people who are enthusiastic about moving from the NS to the main stand. 2 or 3 at most. Most others, from what I've seen, feel the same way as I do.

Can't help but think you are simply playing devil's advocate here Colin. Mixing it up on forums, just like the old days.

I see you are picking your targets a little more carefully now though - don't worry there will be no lawyers letter from me :thumbsup2:

I am attending the meeting on Friday and will be presenting a strong case for the current North Stand singing section to be re-instated in the North Stand. I will however not encourage or endorse any talk of boycotting games themselves. My way of dealing with this is withholding my money upfront on season ticket/TAG as well as the time I was willing to give to provide some assistance on the Centenary Fund. In my close group I respect the right of people to "not go back", that is fine by me. I will be at games next season - I do however firmly believe that the movement from the North Stand will end the singing section as people will disperse around the ground. I won't sit in the Main Stand because I simply can't stand it - I don't like bird poo, I like to wash my hands after going to the toilet, and I don't like my view being restricted by stanchions. That is my view - and I will be speaking to as many of the guys I go with as possible before Friday to canvas opinion. I won't be going in on a personal crusade. The mass hysteria and standard dredging of historic issues like Propco/Lack of Supporter Representation/Shareholding Structure amongst others is unhelpful at best, and at worst simply ridiculous. It is the classic reaction of Thistle fans. We are focussing on one issue and one issue only on Friday which is the North Stand singing section - if we can get our stand back then I will be happy, although I believe the board ruined (in my opinion) what could have been a great party on Saturday.

• Like 3