Meeting Tomorrow - Updates

You can make the Aitken Suite as popular as you want but it would only mean more people coming into the place all at the same time. Extra staffing costs would eat into any profit and in any case there's a limit to how many staff you can put behind a bar without them falling over each other..

Putting Sky Sports in a premises that's only open roughly 2% the time of that of a pub ,most of which cannot afford such a package, would be a total waste of money.

I take the point about Sky as I have heard that costs can be high but one thing this board have been good at is finanes so if they had decided to do this I would think they had costed it.

Surely we want the place to be busy though, the approach of "if it is doing well it means more work" reminds me of a former (recently mentioned in other threads) chief exec who did not want to promote initiatives on that basis. I assume the local pubs have a set space to operate in (they are not built by the same guy who made the TARDIS) yet they do all they can to get more people in not less so why should we be different?

I take the point about Sky as I have heard that costs can be high but one thing this board have been good at is finanes so if they had decided to do this I would think they had costed it.

Surely we want the place to be busy though, the approach of "if it is doing well it means more work" reminds me of a former (recently mentioned in other threads) chief exec who did not want to promote initiatives on that basis. I assume the local pubs have a set space to operate in (they are not built by the same guy who made the TARDIS) yet they do all they can to get more people in not less so why should we be different?

The point I'm making is that the cost of Sky Sports would NOT be recoverable. If you accept the potential turnover of premises only effectively open for serious business 20-25 days a year max cannot possibly equate to that of an average pub open 365 days and many more hours when open. Then if most of them can't justify the cost then it would be money truly wasted. Anyway I would suggest the whole Sky Sports thingy was purely some sort of misguided appeasement re moving stands in the first place.

Given time I could come up with a plethora of better uses for that sort of money. Just for starters some paint about the stadium and a general clean up of the toilets etc come immediately to mind.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Clearly from what people are saying Sky would cost us a bit but if the club budget for however much that would be it should not really make such a huge difference to us who have various income streams compared to a normal pub who are basically reliant on their bar takings or am I talking nonsense (wouldn't be the first time)?

Again, great news on the NS and also with the (belated) customer consultation from the club.

Clearly it will be necessary to establish at least 2 types of matches in terms of match access.

To make it future proof, it would be good if we did not refer to at as "games against Glasgow's 2nd oldest professional club in continuous existence" but allocated some form of category. Although "Category A" might seem the most likely I prefer that JH season tickets are valid for all league matches while NS are valid for all except Category Z games. Works on several levels.

Quick Qs:

Will NS season tickets be priced based on a guess of number of Cat Z games we will have, so tough luck if we get more?

Will it put an end to NS season tickets being allocated a seat in the JH?

What happens if circumstances mean the police effectively designate say an Aberdeen game into a Cat Z - just temporary let NS into Old Stand?

Again, great news on the NS and also with the (belated) customer consultation from the club.

Clearly it will be necessary to establish at least 2 types of matches in terms of match access.

To make it future proof, it would be good if we did not refer to at as "games against Glasgow's 2nd oldest professional club in continuous existence" but allocated some form of category. Although "Category A" might seem the most likely I prefer that JH season tickets are valid for all league matches while NS are valid for all except Category Z games. Works on several levels.

Quick Qs:

Will NS season tickets be priced based on a guess of number of Cat Z games we will have, so tough luck if we get more?

Will it put an end to NS season tickets being allocated a seat in the JH?

What happens if circumstances mean the police effectively designate say an Aberdeen game into a Cat Z - just temporary let NS into Old Stand?

Great news, well done to all concerned two renewals coming up as soon as available

It wouldn't really interest me, but I must admit that I love the idea of a non-Celtic season ticket. It's so beautifully, subtly insulting, and it makes such a lie of the idea that the ugly sisters prop up Scottish football. Might get a bit of media interest too.

It wouldn't really interest me, but I must admit that I love the idea of a non-Celtic season ticket. It's so beautifully, subtly insulting, and it makes such a lie of the idea that the ugly sisters prop up Scottish football. Might get a bit of media interest too.

It could also be interpreted as being defeatist. Celtic fans will just say people are buying it because they don't want to see their team get pumped.

I understand that other clubs offer this. The reason that I WILL be taking this type of ticket is the vile nature of these games. I am essentially reserving my right to not attend - I may end up at Firhill, but if I don't I won't feel like it is cash up the spout. The Wednesday night game at Firhill highlighted everything that was wrong with such occasions. I take the point it was an "exceptional night" but the behaviour of elements of (unfortunately) both sets of fans was abysmal.

Are bar operations in the Aitken Suite still outsourced?

Not anymore. New Catering manager (whom I thought would have been announced by now) will basically be running the bars, function hire etc etc. All in house though no idea of anymore detail.

Ironic that people who support the North Stand for the singing/atmosphere/hardcore element and believe the NS is a positive thing for the club and Archie are now not wanting to go and support their team because they don't like Celtic fans. Decline of "match day experience", decline of support. May as well lie down and let them score for fun. A non-OF season ticket is an idea I do not agree with. Club needs all it's money it can get and when Rangers make it to the premiership you would be ruling out possible 4 home games out of possible 19.

One thing I brought up at the meeting was the possibility of a u-turn on Celtic fans in the main stand.

I asked if this decision was reviewed on an annual basis, the answer to which was yes. I then asked if the club could push for the main stand to be allocated to Celtic fans the same way it's allocated to all other teams.

The response to this was tentative. I don't expect the club to make this a number one priority but it's nice to know that the door isn't closed completely.

Clearly from what people are saying Sky would cost us a bit but if the club budget for however much that would be it should not really make such a huge difference to us who have various income streams compared to a normal pub who are basically reliant on their bar takings or am I talking nonsense (wouldn't be the first time)?

We do have income streams that a normal pub doesn't have; but we also have expenditure streams that a pub doesn't have - like players' wages.

Edited by ScottyDFA

I would hope that the club would be using sky sports on a pay as you go basis, rather than paying the full monthly rate, which is several thousand pounds.

To put it in context, it would cost the same or more than a players wages for the club to have sky sports in the Aitken Suite.

Unity indeed

It's nothing about 'unity' - I would never force you to sit somewhere different from your usual preferred spot at Firhill, and don't think the board should do so either. While the NS move has been reversed the board will still force me to move from my usual place when Celtic come calling. As a result I have less interest in attending - not no interest, and I may pay at the gate for it, but I wouldn't want it on my season ticket.

It's nothing about 'unity' - I would never force you to sit somewhere different from your usual preferred spot at Firhill, and don't think the board should do so either. While the NS move has been reversed the board will still force me to move from my usual place when Celtic come calling. As a result I have less interest in attending - not no interest, and I may pay at the gate for it, but I wouldn't want it on my season ticket.

I get that. I just think that referring to the jhs as a morgue a bit disrespectful to about 80% of Thistles support.

• Like 1