Commonwealth Swimming

thebiglemon

Went to the Tollcross pool tonight.

Was looking forward to it but thought it might be a let down. Far from it - from the close racing and great sporting atmosphere to my wife getting her picture taken with Sir Steve Redgrave it was an amazing experience.

Was also at gymnastics yesterday which interesting without setting the pulse racing.

The city does seem to be putting on a great show - well impressed by the crowds, Clydesiders etc and even enjoyed some of the rugby on TV at the weekend.

How has everyone got on with the games?

• Members

Was at the opening ceremony dress rehearsal and that's all. Didn't bother trying to get time off or tickets for any of the events, however, been watching on the TV at every available moment and been thoroughly enjoying it. The great performances from team Scotland definitely helps though along with the good weather so far. The only thing that has disappointed me so far has been Michael Jamieson's attitude after his Silver to Ross Murdoch. Looked as if he pretty much chucked it after that.

Great to hear the crowds cheering on all the other UK competitors as well as the Scottish ones.

I've really been enjoying the BBC highlight show, 'Tonight at the Games' hosted by Clare Balding and Mark Chapman. Light hearted and interesting. A nice change from the usual highlights stuff.

All in all, it's been a great success so far. Makes you wonder if we could pull off an Olympic Games?

From a distance here here in Oman I am pretty jealous not to be back in Glasgow. My son has been out and about around the Merchant City and Glasgow Green and tells me eventhough he is not attending any sport there is a great atmosphere everywere otherwise.

Obviously these newspapers couldn,t abide these feel good stories and needed the Usain Bolt stuff to stir things up.

Went to the squash. Worst spectator sport ever

Guessing the assorted shooting events that don't involve exploding clay pigeons will give it a run for its money in this category. Group of men/women barely move and hit relatively near the centre of paper targets the spectators can't see to win by a couple of points after 40+ shots each.

Weightlifting, boxing and rugby sevens were all fantastic. Amazing weather at start of the games really helped to get off to a good start. City has been great with a mass of different nations all in the place - it's felt like London at times more than Glasgow. Central Station definitely feels like London as it is mobbed and the transport has had a couple of off moments but seems to have held up well considering the extra use whi ch is way off normal peak times.

I too have enjoyed 'Tonight at the Games'. Watched it every night and the BBC coverage has been superb be it tv, bbc scotland or radio five live.

I've got bowls tonight and hockey tomorrow so hoping the weather holds for these sports and I am already dreading the games to finish. It'll miss them.

Now we have nailed the Commonwealth Games I think Olympics is probably a bit of a stretch but there is a new Multi Sports event starting for European countries, be it a European Olympics, and the first one is in Baku 2015. Glasgow could go for that and also other events be it single of multi sports.

Weightlifting, boxing and rugby sevens were all fantastic. Amazing weather at start of the games really helped to get off to a good start. City has been great with a mass of different nations all in the place - it's felt like London at times more than Glasgow. Central Station definitely feels like London as it is mobbed and the transport has had a couple of off moments but seems to have held up well considering the extra use whi ch is way off normal peak times.

I too have enjoyed 'Tonight at the Games'. Watched it every night and the BBC coverage has been superb be it tv, bbc scotland or radio five live.

I've got bowls tonight and hockey tomorrow so hoping the weather holds for these sports and I am already dreading the games to finish. It'll miss them.

Now we have nailed the Commonwealth Games I think Olympics is probably a bit of a stretch but there is a new Multi Sports event starting for European countries, be it a European Olympics, and the first one is in Baku 2015. Glasgow could go for that and also other events be it single of multi sports.

I've always reckoned Scotland could make a go of the Winter Olympics (how much use we'd get out of a bobsleigh track post-games is anybody's guess...). Not sure what city would host it though.

I've always reckoned Scotland could make a go of the Winter Olympics (how much use we'd get out of a bobsleigh track post-games is anybody's guess...). Not sure what city would host it though.

Our ski runs are unlikely to be tough enough or long enough (downhill). Top British skiers train in Europe.

How much use the ski jumps would get post-Games is another guess.

Edited by kni

I would echo Will's thoughts and say that, despite not being all that interested, I found myself enjoying the coverage.

Heading towards the BBC/Science Centre site last week i walked past the STV building there was NOTHING to indicate that anything was happening their home city.

I assume BBC had all the live screening rights and so on, but it appears that our indigenous broadcaster took little or no part in the biggest thing to hit Glasgow in a generation.

Other than items in their news programmes, I didn't notice them cover the event at all.

Poor show, STV.

Shame that its all over, I wasn't at any of the events but it was great to see the way the crowds turned out. A very good advert for Glasgow if it wanted to try and bring other events in the future to the city.

One thing I didn't like about the coverage though was that even if someone from the "home nations " didn't win the event they tended to interview them first ahead of the winner which I thought was disrespectful.

The one thing that disappointed me was that a significant number of top athletes chose not to compete in the Games. Some were genuinely injured but there were more than a few lame excuses. Yesterday's cycling road race was a classic example. Several of the top British and Australian riders are competing in the Tour of Poland. A few others raced in the Clasica San Sebastian on Saturday. It was not surprising, but still disappointing, that only about a dozen riders of a relatively weak start list finished the Commonwealth Games road race.

• Members

Steve Cram having a thinly disguised go at Mo Farah for not turning up was good to hear too. "You've missed out". David Rudisha coming back from injury and not at his best still turned up and was happy to take part even though he knew he probably wouldn't win. Farah should take a good look at himself and learn from the example of guys like Rudisha.

^ There is certainly no love lost there. Farah, 30 at the time, broke Cram's 28 year old British record by nearly a second when he ran the 1500 metres for the first time last year. It was a European record too and he beat Steve Ovett's personal best by two seconds. Cram said that he was "shocked" described the run as "unbelievable". Highly suspicious would be my description.

It was sad that prominent injured or ill athletes did not come up to promote the Games and support their fellow athletes. At least Mark Cavendish, recovering from shoulder surgery, turned up to encourage Peter Kennaugh in the cycling road race. He did the same during the last week of the Tour de France. Top bloke!

Rid Skwerr, the media rules were incredibly strict. The BBC and the international broadcasting rights holder were the only people allowed to film within the venues so STV were limited in what they were able to cover. As far as I know they weren't even allowed to film outside the venues - within the boundary gates. The most they could do as accredited press was send observers to write reports etc. but with no footage it's hardly worth it for a visual medium.

I was a Clydesider and was working with the accredited press - it was pretty exclusively online and print media journalists who were there.

The whole thing was amazing, and I'd be tempted to volunteer at future games. Considering a family trip to Gold Coast in four years time. Would love to see other events in Glasgow.

"One thing I didn't like about the coverage though was that even if someone from the "home nations " didn't win the event they tended to interview them first ahead of the winner which I thought was disrespectful. "

The losers will usually come round the track/pool quicker than the winner who would do a lap of honour. You can't say to the British athletes trying to make their way out, hold on a minute while we wait for the guy who beat you. Also, the winner could well have gone straight to their nation's broadcaster.

"One thing I didn't like about the coverage though was that even if someone from the "home nations " didn't win the event they tended to interview them first ahead of the winner which I thought was disrespectful. "

The losers will usually come round the track/pool quicker than the winner who would do a lap of honour. You can't say to the British athletes trying to make their way out, hold on a minute while we wait for the guy who beat you. Also, the winner could well have gone straight to their nation's broadcaster.

Guess that's true, I hadn't contemplated that.