Under 20's Win

Dug1e

Great result for this young Jags team.

Young being the salient word. I'm fairly certain the average age of the Jags team would have been well below our opponents tonight.

Despite a deserved win I don't think Scott McKenzie will be too pleased with the way we resorted to a long ball game for long spells in the game. I realise with Rangers playing that way it's harder to stick to your guns and we were easily their match in reply. When we did get ball down to feet we were really impressive and that's when you can see the potential.

The new boy at right centreback looked useful. That said I assume he's a good bit younger than Darren Brownlie. The lad's certainly got good height for a defender.

Pleasing start to the U20s season.

I read somewhere we had a 15 year old up front for part of the game?

And a good few others who are really U18's.

Youth is where Thistle are starting to get it right where others will just never ever learn, no matter the circumstances they find themselves in.

And a good few others who are really U18's.

Youth is where Thistle are starting to get it right where others will just never ever learn, no matter the circumstances they find themselves in.

Good to see the youngsters doing so well. I'm not quite sure what you mean above. Would you mind elaborating?

I'm assuming it's a reference to Billko's 'big' club, given their golden chance to reconstruct their whole setup a couple of years ago.

Great to see the young Jags starting out with a win. I really hope we can make the youth setup as the life of this club for years to come.

If we were back where we were three/four seasons ago (fair to middling in league below) then quite a few of these lads would already be there or thereabouts in the first team. Obviously this league is far more demanding but to this untrained eye it looks to me the quality/potential of our youngsters is better than ever.

Great result last night and the past 3-4 weeks has been excellent for our Academy.

When I joined our Academy just over a year ago i was astonished that club of our size never had youth structure in place so it's remarkable to now look at our setup only a year down the line.The snipers will say it's down to the Weir Family's investment into the youth setup,which has of course helped and very much appreciated,but it's the work and hours the 2 guys at the top of our setup put in 7 days a week that people don't see or hear about that is the main reason.

The teams performances at the Foyle Cup and Milk Cup,which were outstanding,is what everyone is talking about but to think we now have a structure that is developing kids as young as 8 years old,

Pro Youth teams from under 11's to under 17's,our own training base etc is what most fans don't see or hear about.

Great potential within the club at all age groups with boys at 16 involved in the under 20's squad and couple of 14 year old boys involved with under 18's at weekend. Youth is massive now within Scottish football as clubs now rely on producing players and the club now has one of the best Youth Academies in Scotland.

• Like 3

I'm assuming it's a reference to Billko's 'big' club, given their golden chance to reconstruct their whole setup a couple of years ago.

Great to see the young Jags starting out with a win. I really hope we can make the youth setup as the life of this club for years to come.

Spot on.

Also they have pick of the best young players available and generally have the strongest teams at younger age groups but they never push many through or develop players as they should be doing.

Everything taught at younger age groups seem's to be thrown out the window for a lomg ball game with big strong boys replacing technical players who are not blessed with the build of a 400m runner.

Thistle getting it right though just now as Aldo's post mentions and the club will reap the benefits of this in the not too distant future.

Has James Martin been released after his Belgian loan finished at the end of May?

I've never seen anything official but the Fleetwood programme effectively listed all our signed players and James's name didn't appear. You'd have to assume that PTFC supplied the list so I think it fair to also assume Martin has not re-signed. That doesn't of course mean he has definitely not been offered a new contract.

The snipers will say it's down to the Weir Family's investment into the youth setup,which has of course helped and very much appreciated,but it's the work and hours the 2 guys at the top of our setup put in 7 days a week that people don't see or hear about that is the main reason.

It doesn't need to be a snipe to say it's down to the money. The fact is, it's only the money from the Weir's investment that allows Thistle to be able to afford to pay guys like Gerry Britton and Scott Allison a full-time wage to run a complete youth set-up and employ all the coaches and various other staff.

We should be very thankful to the Weir's, and of course the people putting in all the time and effort to make it work.

It doesn't need to be a snipe to say it's down to the money. The fact is, it's only the money from the Weir's investment that allows Thistle to be able to afford to pay guys like Gerry Britton and Scott Allison a full-time wage to run a complete youth set-up and employ all the coaches and various other staff.

We should be very thankful to the Weir's, and of course the people putting in all the time and effort to make it work.

The Weir's have given us enough money that allowed us to extend our youth policy and maintain it for (I believe) about 5 years. We can't be sure they'll do that again in 5 years' time so we need during that time to produce enough good players that we can sell on and use some of the money to keep the youth policy going at the same level.

It seems to me down the years (in fact decades) we have had goes at establishing some kind of limited youth policy which never came to anything. Anytime we had a financial squeeze youth policy was the first thing cut. It's something of a disgrace that the club never had proper policy until now and let's hope we can make it a long term thing which contributes substantially to the club.

Edited by Mr Bunny

How many supporters to we get at the Under 20's game?

Couldn't tell from last night as there was a lot of sevconians in our midst. Most of the home games last season were afternoon matches in Airdrie so you were just talking about a handful. An evening game at Firhill and you're maybe talking about 50-60 Jags fans max.

Just as an aside we had catering on last night, which was a first. Possibly just a dummy run, mind.

My post was in no way disregarding Chris and Colin's fantastic donation which is of course a massive help and the point you make regarding it to allow Gerry and Scott to have fulltime positions is spot on the point to my post was more about the hours these 2 guys put in 7 days a week, with a family dont forget,and both deserve credit for it.Again not taking anything away from the Weir's but You can have a very good youth budget but no use if you don't have the right guys to oversee your setup and get good coaches,scouts etc involved at club(last night's game proves my point) then you won't see your Youth Academy improve.Maybe my previous post could have been worded better but if you heard people connected to other clubs constantly say our progress is all down to money and knowing the work everyone within Academy puts in it annoys you and that's coming from someone that doesn't usually care what other clubs do or say about us.haha

• Like 1

I don't know how the fixtures are devised, but it would be interesting to have the U20s playing at Firhill on Friday nights when the 1st team have no home game that weekend. It used to work well back in the day with the reserves, with only the main stand open. Failing that, I'm sure we could do a deal with Maryhill over the use of Lochburn. Got to be better than being based in Airdrie I would've thought.

Has Gerry Britton given up his recent legal career to go full-time at Thistle Weir? If so, that would be a significant risk and commitment.

I get the feeling that although our under 20 team seem to be pretty impressive, an even more promising batch of players sit below them in the under 18's/16s etc.

Would be great if we could finally start producing our own players and becoming like a Falkirk or something.

It's pretty scandalous that a club of our size has produced so few players. I've been going to games for 15 years and can count on one hand the amount that have came through and been any good.

We seem in good hands though. I'm told Scott Allison is a very impressive guy, and Britton seems very good at youth level too. PLEASING.

• Like 1