V Aberdeen, Saturday 30Th September 2014

stillresigned

No problem with digs or justified criticism. It's just that virtually none of the criticism has been justified. It goes like this for the most part:

Mention that we need a centre half , left back and a striker. This shows that poster has gravitas. Mention it two or three times to re-enforce tactical nous.

Take a squad position. Google a name. When said name signs for someone else, blame Archie for not signing him. It shows we lack ambition and that Archie has no contacts.

When someone does sign for us, give a reason why signing is no good. Reason is generally because poster has never heard of signing or because there is some tenuous link to Stephen Pressley. Preferably try to show that signing has been "rushed".

Whatever happens DO NOT follow up on original suggestion(the guy who signed for the other team) because that would show he has played four games, lost all four and conceded 7 goals.

• Like 1

Personally, anything you have quoted above certainly does not apply to me but the point with criticism is that you will find that the poster doing the moaning is doing it because he isn't happy with what's going on and comes on here to let off steam. That is their right. In their eyes they are right. Who are you or anyone else on here to say they are wrong? I had many run ins with the anti Archie brigade last season, not because of what they were saying, but because most of them never appeared after a good result, but were on 5 minutes after a bad result! As I said a few weeks ago, there are a few spangles on here, but the majority that post have PartickThistle at heart and have a right to air their grievances if they are unhappy with what's going on at the club without guys like you looking down their nose at them because their opinions don't match yours.

Edited by Lindau

The point with criticism is that you will find that the poster doing the moaning is doing it because he isn't happy with what's going on and comes on here to let off steam. That is their right. In their eyes they are right. Who are you or anyone else on here to say they are wrong? I had many run ins with the anti Archie brigade last season, not because of what they were saying, but because most of them never appeared after a good result, but were on 5 minutes after a bad result! As I said a few weeks ago, there are a few spangles on here, but the majority that post have PartickThistle at heart and have a right to air their grievances if they are unhappy with what's going on at the club.

Well said that man.... We are all ptfc fans

How come these punters letting off steam don't think about Derek Johnstone, Dick Campbell or Gerry Collins before offering an opinion on Archie? How come they don't think about Willie Callaghan at centre forward before offering an opinion on Stevenson?

How come these punters talking about top six haven't worked out that that hasn't happened in the 37 years I've been watching the club? Probably longer? When was the last time the club were in the top six?

I'm all for people having an opinion but this board is riddled with punters who have a totally bizarre view of reality. They then use that world view to measure success, but in actual fact it's utter bollocks and bears no resemblance to the history of Partick Thistle.

It deserves to be called out for what it is. Rank stupidity. We might all be Partick Thistle fans, but , in their case, i view that as a thing of regret, rather than a thing to be celebrated.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

How come these punters letting off steam don't think about Derek Johnstone, Dick Campbell or Gerry Collins before offering an opinion on Archie? How come they don't think about Willie Callaghan at centre forward before offering an opinion on Stevenson?

How come these punters talking about top six haven't worked out that that hasn't happened in the 37 years I've been watching the club? Probably longer? When was the last time the club were in the top six?

I'm all for people having an opinion but this board is riddled with punters who have a totally bizarre view of reality. They then use that world view to measure success, but in actual fact it's utter bollocks and bears no resemblance to the history of Partick Thistle.

It deserves to be called out for what it is. Rank stupidity. We might all be Partick Thistle fans, but , in their case, i view that as a thing of regret, rather than a thing to be celebrated.

Don't disagree with that but most people don't bother about history (unless it's a League Cup or championship winning side) The Campbell, Collins, Johnstone, Lamont days are history, most people are only interested in this season onwards. Personally I think Archie has done a magnificent job since being thrown in at the deep end and is severely underrated by a section of the support, but let that not mask the fact that he has made errors and continues to make errors (no different from most managers) and is a bit too loyal to certain players. He has a lot more experience of the job now so fans are going to be less tolerant. That's the nature of the professional game. Personally if he keeps us up this season without the need for a play off, you will get no complaints from me.

• Like 1

What are you talking about ? I suppose when hearts Hibs and sevco are back you will behappy with relegation?!

There is no reason with the league this season we should not be in in thd 6/7/8 zone . ... Except apparently is against our self image !

There you go again. I thought we had dealt with that particular error. Is that 'Rangers liquidated denial' or 'semantics'?

I for one count myself as being realistic viz. the fortunes of Partick Thistle Football Club, I don't, (though it'd be nice to) expect my team to be challenging for the league title every year. Nor am I unacquainted with the ups and mostly downs of following my team , for longer than I'd like to remember. Equally, I am not so young that I can't remember the "glory" years we had under the likes of Campbell, McVeigh, Collins and Johnstone to perm only four from many.

Therefore, I like to think I can apply a sense of perspective to our current travails. Whilst being nowhere near the worst Jags team I have seen, I think it's only right that those of us who part with our hard earned are entitled to express our displeasure and frustration when our team turn in performances of an abject nature, such as in outlast two league games? Where we frankly have been rotten.

The really frustrating is that areas where we are struggling are similar to last season I.e. in the centre of defence and up front. We all know that Archie has got to operate with virtually one hand tied between his back, owing to the financial disparities that exist between ourselves and much of our competition. Therefore it is unrealistic to blame the manager for not making a bevy of new signings, since he can't magic money out of thin air.

That said I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask why a midfield player is our first choice forward, when our top scorer from last/ season warms the bench. In a similar vein, as much as I hate to single out one player why has s returned to his bad old ways, seen when he was on loan from Hearts? To be fair he is perhaps only the most notable culprit, in a team who collectively seem to have forgotten the lessons of the last couple of years, namely that fast paced FORWARD football is the type of football that brings (relative) success and only if we resort to that style of play will we do well.

Fortunately, we are only 4 games into our season and we shouldn't all go ott on the great weeping and gnashing of teeth, but Ithought yesterday's display was as poor as I've seen for a while and should act as wake up call to everyone at Firhill.

Edited by stillresigned

I for one count myself as being realistic viz. the fortunes of Partick Thistle Football Club, I don't, (though it'd be nice to) expect my team to be challenging for the league title every year. Nor am I unacquainted with the ups and mostly downs of following my team , for longer than I'd like to remember. Equally, I am not so young that I can't remember the "glory" years we had under the likes of Campbell, McVeigh, Collins and Johnstone to perm only four from many.

Therefore, I like to think I can apply a sense of perspective to our current travails. Whilst being nowhere near the worst Jags team I have seen, I think it's only right that those of us who part with our hard earned are entitled to express our displeasure and frustration when our team turn in performances of an abject nature, such as in our last two league games? Where we frankly have been rotten.

The really frustrating is that areas where we are struggling are similar to last season I.e. in the centre of defence and up front. We all know that Archie has got to operate with virtually one hand tied between his back, owing to the financial disparities that exist between ourselves and much of our competition. Therefore it is unrealistic to blame the manager for not making a bevy of new signings, since he can't magic money out of thin air.

That said I think it is perfectly acceptable to ask why a midfield player is our first choice forward, when our top scorer from last/ season warms the bench. In a similar vein, as much as I hate to single out one player why has s returned to his bad old ways, seen when he was on loan from Hearts? To be fair he is perhaps only the most notable culprit, in a team who collectively seem to have forgotten the lessons of the last couple of years, namely that fast paced FORWARD football is the type of football that brings (relative) success and only if we resort to that style of play will we do well.

Fortunately, we are only 4 games into our season and we shouldn't all go ott on the great weeping and gnashing of teeth, but Ithought yesterday's display was as poor as I've seen for a while and should act as wake up call to everyone at Firhill.

Read your whole post and find the bit highlighted bit quite incredible. You've clearly been following the Jags since at least the mid 80s yet you're overly concerned about the last two league games. Where have you been for the majority of the last thirty years if a poor home performance and a widely predicted away defeat at Pittodrie leave you so distraught?.

I think it's only right that those of us who part with our hard earned are entitled to express our displeasure and frustration when our team turn in performances of an abject nature, such as in outlast two league games? Where we frankly have been rotten.

I know stats can be misleading in certain cases but I was astonished to read in a paper today that possession wise yesterday Aberdeen had 72% and Thistle 28%. That is poor with a capital P!!

I don't think I saw Willie Callaghan play for Thistle but I have seen Jimmy Bone, Frank Coulston, Doug Somner, Joe Craig & Colin McAdam so I have an opinion on Ryan Stevenson...so far he's been like Ross Forbes but without the passing ability and application.

I'm with Lindau - I've been very much behind Archie and the way the team has tried to play football over the last two seasons but there are a few posters on here who seem to expect and accept that the Club will slide back into the mediocracy of most of the last 30 odd years. In the 80 years prior to then we were never out of the top Division and even in the poorest period of the club's History we usually finished higher than Hamilton, Ross County and Inverness. It was not really that ridiculous to aspire to finish in the top six this season.

Archie's signings last January were very astute given the budgetary restrictions - Mair & Taylor were exactly what we needed for the positions, Bauben an experienced pro, Erskine a crowd pleaser and Moncur had an impressive pedigree. This summer's signings seem a bit disappointing in comparison - nobody can question Elliot's commitment but last year he was a non-impact sub and this season he is the preferred first choice start.

Undoubtedly there are an increasing number of daft posts and posters on here - I find the one who keeps gleefully repeating the same ill-thought out criticisms and the other who comments endlessly on players & formations but never goes to games particularly irritating. However, it's not that difficult to identify the valid concerns which are being raised - they are worth more than your rather ill-mannered dismissal.

• Like 1

Valid concerns? Based on the fact that from the 1900s-1990s we usually finished ahead of Inverness, Ross and Hamilton? So how many times in the last 100 years have we finished top six? When was the last time?

Edited: checked. Three times since 62-63.

After 4 games you are disappointed with Osman? Seabourne after 2 games ? High standards indeed.

BTW Elliot has been a sub in 3 of the games. He played once v Aberdeen it was tactical to try and keep pace with their midfield runners.

Edited by La Scimmia Rossa
  • Like 1

In the 80 years prior to then we were never out of the top Division and even in the poorest period of the club's History we usually finished higher than Hamilton, Ross County and Inverness. It was not really that ridiculous to aspire to finish in the top six this season.

Firhill also saw attendances of twenty-nod thousands, sweeties tasted better, and you could trust your presidents.

I don't understand how a team, which has traditionally been a yo-yo club in the past twenty years, can suddenly expect it 'not ridiculous' to finish in the top six of the country without a sudden, large, injection of money or a huge upswing in attendance. I don't recall either thing happening recently.

Treating defeat as a disaster, players as useless after four games, and relegation as the end of the world doesn't suit any Thistle fan with a modicum of perspective.

• Like 1

I know stats can be misleading in certain cases but I was astonished to read in a paper today that possession wise yesterday Aberdeen had 72% and Thistle 28%. That is poor with a capital P!!

We surrendered midfield deliberately. Some might say that was giving the Dons too much respect but regardless it's a legitimate tactic. Even accepting that 28% is on the low side. Archie has said that our ball retention was poor and I doubt anyone there yesterday can disagree. There's no way we set out to compete with Aberdeen for 50/50 possession but should've done a good bit better.

I feel rather awkward criticising Paul Gallacher given his fantastic saves in the last four games but his distribution isn't that great. Too many big lobs up the park when he should be using the flanks with throw outs and short balls. Not exactly our biggest worry but I've always thought we're at our best when we're building from the back. Conversely we're not that clever with the long ball.

Valid concerns? Based on the fact that from the 1900s-1990s we usually finished ahead of Inverness, Ross and Hamilton? So how many times in the last 100 years have we finished top six? When was the last time?

Edited: checked. Twice since 75-76.

After 4 games you are disappointed with Osman? Seabourne after 2 games ? High standards indeed.

BTW Elliot has been a sub in 3 of the games. He played once v Aberdeen it was tactical to try and keep pace with their midfield runners.

Surely supporters can have concerns whether you think they are valid is irrelevant , I've had concerns with how we've done our transfer dealing, the areas that needed strengthening defence etc ( still got centre backs making same mistakes they made 2 years ago ) severely lacking up front with only Doolan and an untried striker Duggan as the only reasonable alternative . The benchmark for what we're trying to achieve is probably teams of a similar stature ICT ( 20 years in existence ) St Johnstone maybe even Motherwell. I'm not really bothered whether we're in the top 6 or not providing it's not the proverbial relegation battle every year. This year without Sevco , Hearts , Hibs is the perfect opportunity to cement our place in the league and push on , after the last 3 games and how we've played surely it's reasonable to be concerned .

Valid concerns? Based on the fact that from the 1900s-1990s we usually finished ahead of Inverness, Ross and Hamilton? So how many times in the last 100 years have we finished top six? When was the last time? I'm betting not since reconstruction in 75-76. Did any of those strikers you mentioned manage it?

You're missing the point - historically this is the weakest top Division ever. Rangers, Hearts & Hibs have almost always finished higher than us. From the 1990's to now we have usually finished above Hamilton, Ross County and Inverness. Two of those currently top the table - they won't stay there - but you must have very low standards if you don't see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity for Thistle to finish high up the League.

You are also missing the point about the comparison with Archie's excellent work last January - Erskine & Taylor were exciting signings and the whole team was markedly stronger. It's too early to make a judgement on the new signings anyway - Seabourne looked a solid but unexceptional defender against County, Osman excellent in that game but poor against Accies. But overall, yes I'm a bit disappointed in the signings - maybe Ecclestone will be a sensation.

I wasn't at Pittodrie but it's hardly a commendation of a player picked in an attacking position that his role was to run after the Aberdeen midfielders. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations and that's the best we can hope for...we had one shot at goal...our best striker was on the bench again...everything's fine.

Firhill also saw attendances of twenty-nod thousands, sweeties tasted better, and you could trust your presidents.

I don't understand how a team, which has traditionally been a yo-yo club in the past twenty years, can suddenly expect it 'not ridiculous' to finish in the top six of the country without a sudden, large, injection of money or a huge upswing in attendance. I don't recall either thing happening recently.

Treating defeat as a disaster, players as useless after four games, and relegation as the end of the world doesn't suit any Thistle fan with a modicum of perspective.

You're the guy who said "There will be no Whitewash at the White House"

Ross County, Inverness and St Johnstone - similar yo-yo clubs - have managed top six in recent years with Rangers, Hearts & Hibs in the League and without any vast injection of resources. Apparently this is way beyond Partick Thistle.

I actually don't care that much about our league position - I have been enthusiastic about the team over the last two seasons and I want them to continue to try to play entertaining football with quick passing and movement. I'm not sure where Stevenson & Elliot fit in to that...but maybe there shouldn't be any criticism...the National Guard had the right idea shooting those Vietnam War protesters.

• Members

Statistics eh! Just watched the highlights on BBC there and they say possession was 50-50???

Perhaps we are going about things the wrong way round. If wages are so high in England, it's always going to be pretty thin pickings. Ok we don't have alot of money, but we are based in a huge city, there has to be undiscovered talent out there, that could do the business for us?

I do not believe that we do not have what we need on our own doorstep. However, It's just not fashionable to sign local players these days.

Edited: checked. Three times since 62-63.

One poster's (self proclaimed) hard nosed realism is another poster's defeatist acceptance of mediocrity.